WAG How do you tell the difference in gyms when they have 2 branches.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Calimomof2

Proud Parent
I am looking up my meet scores for a gym but they have multiple branches. How do I find out which branch is the better site. Obviously they wont say, they both think they are good but one is obviously better than the other?

Assuming you are talking about two branches that both have the gymnastics you are looking for (both have JO teams, for example), you may be able to find out who coaches specific girls via social media, etc.. You might also try something as straightforward as posting to CB "Hey, anyone from *this gym* willing to answer some questions?" In the end, it may not matter. My daughter was in a gym that had two branches and the answer was: it varies. Sometimes one branch had higher scores, 2 years later, it might be the other. With coaches arriving and leaving, you can't be sure what it'll be like next summer let alone in 2 years. I would recommend that, as long as the gym's philosophy aligns with what you want for your gymnast, visit them both and see where feels like a better fit. In our case, there was a VERY different feel (and different opportunities available) in the two branches, despite them being owned by the same people. IMO, let your gymnast watch practice at both locations, listen to his/her instincts, and be open minded.

Our gym has 3 branches. They are all different with different philosophies. Here it is possible to move between them. In fact we just had a coach from one of the other branches come to ours. For me when we were switching, only 1 branch was convenient, and we lucked out, because this branch matched what I was looking for in a gym. But I think a few girls that also switched, talked to multiple branches to find the best fit. Also not all branches have openings all the time, so the nice thing about multiple branches is that you are in a gym, and then you can switch locations if needed.

Our gym has 3 branches. They are all different with different philosophies. Here it is possible to move between them. In fact we just had a coach from one of the other branches come to ours. For me when we were switching, only 1 branch was convenient, and we lucked out, because this branch matched what I was looking for in a gym. But I think a few girls that also switched, talked to multiple branches to find the best fit. Also not all branches have openings all the time, so the nice thing about multiple branches is that you are in a gym, and then you can switch locations if needed.
That's cool that they allow girls to switch branches. At my girl's gym, you couldn't easily switch gyms. They told you it wasn't allowed.. it actually was allowed in certain circumstances, but it was VERY rare. I think I saw it 3 times in 6 years. In 2 cases, it was a girl who was going to leave the gym or sport due to strong coach/gymnast incomparability. For the third, I'm not sure of the reason.. but just FYI, that might be a good question to ask when doing your research: Can you change branches at that particular gym?

We have been part of a gym group with 4 branches. They are very different. Different head coaches with different philosophies. So in our experience I'd treat them as separate gyms and trial each if you can.
Though lots of coach sharing across the gyms and the owner having an ultimate say over the group and I guess their philosophy, but even with that each gym had a very different feel, coaching style and aim.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back