Coaches how do you train for presses in a row

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Maybe I can get some help here.

I have some questions because I coach a girls group and don't have any deeper knowledge about that.
There are a ton of videos out there about how to get a straddle press but not how to train for more or even 10 in a row!

1) How do you increase your reps in straddle press handstands?

2) How many presses are required per week/day to achieve optimum strength increase?

3) Is pressing with ankle weights better or more reps?

4) Is it better to go until failure in a short amount of time or more like grease the groove? (so for example trying 50 presses and not focusing so much on form in less than 20 minutes or is it better to spread them over an hour but really good form)

5) Are other drills necessary like L-Sit, Straddle L etc.?

6) Is everybody who can do a good straddle press already able to learn 5 at age 6/7 and 10 at age 7/8/9/10?

8) If you are already able to perform 10 in a row, how do you make them not lose it?

9) If you train for 10 presses in a row, should you continue doing pike presses and V-Sit or focus on the straddle presses?

As you see, a lot of questions here. I would appreciate it so much if you had some advice!

PS: girls can do between 1-3 beautiful presses from Straddle Lever!

Maybe I can get some help here.

I have some questions because I coach a girls group and don't have any deeper knowledge about that.
There are a ton of videos out there about how to get a straddle press but not how to train for more or even 10 in a row!

1) How do you increase your reps in straddle press handstands?

2) How many presses are required per week/day to achieve optimum strength increase?

3) Is pressing with ankle weights better or more reps?

4) Is it better to go until failure in a short amount of time or more like grease the groove? (so for example trying 50 presses and not focusing so much on form in less than 20 minutes or is it better to spread them over an hour but really good form)

5) Are other drills necessary like L-Sit, Straddle L etc.?

6) Is everybody who can do a good straddle press already able to learn 5 at age 6/7 and 10 at age 7/8/9/10?

8) If you are already able to perform 10 in a row, how do you make them not lose it?

9) If you train for 10 presses in a row, should you continue doing pike presses and V-Sit or focus on the straddle presses?

As you see, a lot of questions here. I would appreciate it so much if you had some advice!

PS: girls can do between 1-3 beautiful presses from Straddle Lever!

1. By doing reps of straddle press handstands. We do 10 every other day with TOPS kids. One set to 10 by self...if they don't make it...which none of them do...them one spotted set to 10.

2. We do 10 every other day...but we have a bunch of other activities during practice that work this action also.

3. We do not use ankle weights for presses.

4. We do 10 presses every other day with perfect form and technique...spotted if necessary. Takes a minute or two per kid.

5. Yes...both of those sound great.

6. Not sure what you are asking. It is easier to learn a press when you are young...but that shouldn't stop older folk.

7. Not there.

8. Keep on keeping on!

9. Just get the stalder press 10 in a row and you will be a beast.

PS...post a video and we will give you exact advice

Here are a couple of fun little videos from a while ago...not great presses...but it's a start!

I work a lot on the shaping for the press. My kids do a ton of Straddle L holds and a ton of tuck planche holds with emphasis on having a "turtle back". We also do the drill I've shown below (although I wish I had a better video, her legs should be straight) and a drill where they have two of those panel mats closer together and they go from pike in between the mats to straddle with one foot on each mat. Both drills are always done with toes curled under.

I got this group 2 months ago and none of them could do a single press. They are 5-6 year olds. Now all of them can do at least one. I've had 2 of the 5 of them get to 3 in a row but no one has gotten the golden 5 in a row yet. I'm looking forward to suggestions as well!

Nice drill!

Making sure the back rolls up to handstand is key. The fastest way to 10+ presses is to give them the endurance of doing 10+ presses. Try on their own...then (if they don't make it)...spot them to 10 with perfect shapes...every other day. Once again...we only do this with our TOPs capable kids. The rest of the team just works presses...a lot.

Nice drill!

Making sure the back rolls up to handstand is key. The fastest way to 10+ presses is to give them the endurance of doing 10+ presses. Try on their own...then (if they don't make it)...spot them to 10 with perfect shapes...every other day. Once again...we only do this with our TOPs capable kids. The rest of the team just works presses...a lot.

Yes, true.... practice makes perfect! Do you have them work pike presses and V Presses too? I know some gyms who really train for Pike Press and V-Sit and Straddle V-Sit, not only boys but girls also and I know gyms who do not even introduce them because it is simply not needed in WAG

I work a lot on the shaping for the press. My kids do a ton of Straddle L holds and a ton of tuck planche holds with emphasis on having a "turtle back". We also do the drill I've shown below (although I wish I had a better video, her legs should be straight) and a drill where they have two of those panel mats closer together and they go from pike in between the mats to straddle with one foot on each mat. Both drills are always done with toes curled under.

I got this group 2 months ago and none of them could do a single press. They are 5-6 year olds. Now all of them can do at least one. I've had 2 of the 5 of them get to 3 in a row but no one has gotten the golden 5 in a row yet. I'm looking forward to suggestions as well!

That is a pretty great drill! I'm definitely going to use this one. I also love the music accompanying the video (I'm a metal head :cool:).

My best presser still has slightly more compensations than I'd like (you can see the ribs flaring out as she's circumducting the legs around and up. She's almost at the ideal shape, though. So close! Maybe your drill will help!

Reactions: JBS
We need to do more L-support press throughs...but we don't right now. We don't do any real V work right now.

don't forget butt sticks. (press position but with butt on wall in straddle press position and shoulders leaning forward.

Excellent point. I guess I hadn't considered this a "press drill" as we do it during our bar rotation and not during press work. I absolutely love this drill! We actually do it against a post so that when the girls understand the shape well enough they can actually close their legs up to HS.

Excellent point. I guess I hadn't considered this a "press drill" as we do it during our bar rotation and not during press work. I absolutely love this drill! We actually do it against a post so that when the girls understand the shape well enough they can actually close their legs up to HS.
yes we use a post too. :) Unless you are one of my coaches, lol

Because I have nothing better to do this weekend. I filmed a couple more of the drills. The first is the one I described above. While her execution is not perfect (though not bad for a 5 year old) it will give you the idea.

This is a drill we do for form, head position, and shaping. They have to be able to this really well before I will let them do pike presses. Coincidentally, I have seen a big improvement in this groups' straddle casts since we started this drill a couple weeks ago.

Because I have nothing better to do this weekend. I filmed a couple more of the drills. The first is the one I described above. While her execution is not perfect (though not bad for a 5 year old) it will give you the idea.

I tried this drill today with my little level 2s (barely 6 - teeny tiny 8s). Not only did the love it, and not only were their shapes better, but suddenly several of them were popping right up to their press handstand!

Thank you!

I am surprised by your question regarding age. Presses can be learned at any age, a lot of kids don't learn presses u til their teen years and learn to do them easily. Presses can be learned by adults.

Thanks to those who posted all the drills! Always great to get some new ideas or be reminded of some drills I haven't done in a long time.

I would like to add a few ideas I use with my gymnasts to get them to do more presses in a row.

We do 10 full presses at every practice. Most of the time I make them do a variation of drills before and/or after that (some of the drills posted, half presses, pike presses, planches, etc.) or assist with more presses. Once they are able to do one press nicely, I check if they can do two. And then, if I feel this is a reasonable request, make the "10 presses requirement" harder. I might tell them to only count the presses if at least 2 (or more) are connected. Or I might tell them they need to make 10 within x number of attempts, otherwise they have to do 5 more. Sometimes you really just need to find an incentive to really make them go for that additional press. Most of my gymnasts are really hardworking but without more conditioning looming over their heads, they often don't find that extra bit of willpower to go for something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back