Parents How do your non-gymnast children cope with gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

have you seen these @Learning Parent GB , a big hit with Rugby mums

11041806_950000281699096_7079026550541784173_n.jpg

My gymmie can't wait until her little brother does a class by himself. She wants to sit with me and watch him...

HC asked me the other day if I'd considered having any more children!
:eek: As long as they don't start pointing out particularly strong looking fathers of gymnasts or anything... Or you start getting letters from gymnastics governing bodies mentioning date 16 years and 9 months in the future! o_O ;)

Well, I have two other kids in competitive swimming, and gotta be honest, that is way more time consuming and takes over your life more than gymnastics.
Sounds tiring!

have you seen these @Learning Parent GB , a big hit with Rugby mums

11041806_950000281699096_7079026550541784173_n.jpg
How brilliant!
I sometimes set up a pop up tent for the little one to play in if he has to wait at gym.

My middle child is the gymnast. And although it is only 12 hours a week, that still is hard on her younger brother who has to be dragged along to practice most of the time. The 45 min drive means it is not worth driving home and we struggle to find other local things to do that do not cost money. So one night a week we stay at the gym and he does homework, but the other night is just boring for him and I get frustrated by the situation. The third night he has been going to grandparents but that now has to change. He has also had to change his swimming lessons to early Saturday morning to fit in around gym, so he loses his one lie in of the week too. I feel permanently guilty and now we can no longer stay at the gym to even do homework the challenge is on to find something to do with him that fits her hours - and that doesn't break the budget.

Oldest child just has to look after himself. He gets a bit annoyed about the amount of time he is on his own while we are away at the gym, but he supports her in what she does. He has his football and does well academically, but while you can tell people that DD placed at a gym meet, it just isn't socially acceptable here to tell people that you are proud of your child for doing well in an academic competition.

The only solution? Move closer to the gym so I can just drop her off and pop home. Competitions aren't a big problem - and are warmer to watch than football!

Your situation sounds a lot like mine, except that my smallest kid is the gymnast. I don't have to drag my other kids with me. I just leave them at home to fend for themselves instead. Glad I'm not the only one feeling guilty.

@learningparentgb have you thought about trying to move his swim lesson to a place nearby gym and have him go during her training time? You might be able to find another nearby activity for one of the other sessions too - maybe something like a martial art. Their sessions are often shorter than a gym session . You could knock off 2 things in one go then and free up time at home with you eldest.

I did something similar when mine were young. It made a non stop to and fro evening but at least I didn't get bored!

I have looked into it Jenny. And in fact I was googling again last night which was probably why I was in my pathetic mode quite so much. One problem is that she only started at her new gym last June and her times changed in January, and will change again next week as she moves groups. So if I had found something then it would all have had to change anyway.

We did go and try out the pool closest to her gym and it was filthy and horrible so we're going to stick with swimming lessons at the place that has taught the other two. I'm sure we will find something to do. It's just that feeling of being the parent that always sticks around for practice (which I know is frowned upon) when we haven't found any other choices yet.

Youngest son does also do one gymnastics class a week at the same gym - but obviously not at the same time she is training. That would be far too convenient!

I have seen that picture before Margo. Once I'm at the football I'm useless at actually sitting still. I'm the parent running up and down the line with excitement. And determinedly being positive when I hear the negative parents, who often seem to shout the most negative things at their own children. :-(

DD (gymmie) has a 4 yo younger brother. He does not yet have a lot of activities that interfere with DDs meets, but it is basically impossible to keep him occupied when we are there. We used to try to take the whole family to meets, but these days it is usually gymmie and I only at her meets while little brother and daddy stay home.

We divide and conquer at our home. One does the gymnastics and the other does the snow boarding, long boarding and drumming. My dh loves taking on the other daughter as its all stuff he enjoys and he really has a hard time with gymnastics - he is always afraid she will get hurt.

This year our gymnast had a few meets where there was a some great skiing. So I was dropped off in the city of the meet, rented a car and went to the meet and my dh went off to the ski hill with the youngest.

Works well in our house.

DD (gymmie) has a 4 yo younger brother. He does not yet have a lot of activities that interfere with DDs meets, but it is basically impossible to keep him occupied when we are there.
You should see the stuff that I lug around to practice when the almost 4yo little brother stays with me. I look like a pack horse.
IKEA pull apart plastic kids table
Play doh
Drawing stuff
Wooden train set
Folding spiderman chair
Toy cars
Octonauts or Peppa pig toys
Food. Loooots of food.

I can certainly relate to the guilty feeling.
My youngest spends time at the gym and is incredibly patient. I try to make it up to him and limit it where possible (much easier as the evenings get lighter). He is offered the opportunity to do clubs and activities but isn't really motivated to do them and seems quite content. So then I beat myself up worrying that maybe accept his 'no' to quickly because that makes life easier and that I should encourage (push?) him more. I never had to push DD to do anything, so I find it hard to know.

DD's older sibling hates gymnastics and resents every minute he has ever had to spend at the gym (which is thankfully hardly any). He's old enough to be left at home, but has sometimes ended up at gym just because logistically it's the only way I can organise various journeys. We're talking once in a blue moon, but boy he lets me know.
And I sometimes wish younger one would do the same, but he doesn't.
So yeah, I feel worried about it too.

I can certainly relate to the guilty feeling.
My youngest spends time at the gym and is incredibly patient. I try to make it up to him and limit it where possible (much easier as the evenings get lighter). He is offered the opportunity to do clubs and activities but isn't really motivated to do them and seems quite content. So then I beat myself up worrying that maybe accept his 'no' to quickly because that makes life easier and that I should encourage (push?) him more. I never had to push DD to do anything, so I find it hard to know.
Don't feel too guilty. Maybe he really just doesn't mind.

From what I see, younger siblings seem to handle it better. The little kids that spend time at our gym have got their own little social circle.

I do think guilt-feelings are a considerable feature of parenthood.

This year is the first time I've really done guilt (I've been a terrible parent for 12 years clearly ;-) ). Mainly about the 6 year old not getting home until 9.30 when his bedtime is 7.30. When I see him flagging as we get nearer the end of term then I do feel guilty.

I'm looking forward to the lighter nights. I'm sure we can find some decent parks to try out. We don't tend to do that as much these days with my eldest being 12 so just making time to do that together would be good :)

Both my kids do gym, but they will complain variously. DD complains that I "watch" DS. But DS does gym 40 minutes from home and she does gym 12 minutes from home. And I do errands.
DS also does acting, and that is more intense 1/1 stuff that he and I have to do.

What I try to do is give the non-participating sibling as much choice in how they spend their time as possible; come with us when desired and possible, or go to a friend's, or stay home.

I identify with this question a lot! My oldest daughter is not athletically inclined whatsoever. She is more interested in science, art, reading etc. She is very supportive of my younger daughter (who is the gymnast). She doesn't get jealous when we pay attention to or compliment her sister when it comes to gymnastics--but gets very jealous when we compliment her sister on her work at school or an art project. I guess she feels those are "her" territories. But it's a hard tight-rope to walk sometimes. I strive to praise both my daughters on their hard work rather than awards, products, etc---in whatever they each do. But I want to be able to encourage them in all areas of their life. I refuse to pigeon-hole any of my children into thinking they are only good at one thing!! Time is also a struggle we are trying to work out. I am trying to spend less time at the gym as my younger child's practices get longer. This gymnastics world is wonderful--but definitely can be a challenge for a bigger family:)

I identify with this question a lot! My oldest daughter is not athletically inclined whatsoever. She is more interested in science, art, reading etc. She is very supportive of my younger daughter (who is the gymnast). She doesn't get jealous when we pay attention to or compliment her sister when it comes to gymnastics--but gets very jealous when we compliment her sister on her work at school or an art project. I guess she feels those are "her" territories. But it's a hard tight-rope to walk sometimes. I strive to praise both my daughters on their hard work rather than awards, products, etc---in whatever they each do. But I want to be able to encourage them in all areas of their life. I refuse to pigeon-hole any of my children into thinking they are only good at one thing!! Time is also a struggle we are trying to work out. I am trying to spend less time at the gym as my younger child's practices get longer. This gymnastics world is wonderful--but definitely can be a challenge for a bigger family:)
I refuse to pigeon-hole any of my children into thinking they are only good at one thing!!
I agree!! I warn them of self fulfilling prophecies-"I'm bad at math", ect. I want them to be open minded to try new things and give themselves the chance to be good at anything!

My middle child is the gymnast. And although it is only 12 hours a week, that still is hard on her younger brother who has to be dragged along to practice most of the time. The 45 min drive means it is not worth driving home and we struggle to find other local things to do that do not cost money. So one night a week we stay at the gym and he does homework, but the other night is just boring for him and I get frustrated by the situation. The third night he has been going to grandparents but that now has to change. He has also had to change his swimming lessons to early Saturday morning to fit in around gym, so he loses his one lie in of the week too. I feel permanently guilty and now we can no longer stay at the gym to even do homework the challenge is on to find something to do with him that fits her hours - and that doesn't break the budget.

Oldest child just has to look after himself. He gets a bit annoyed about the amount of time he is on his own while we are away at the gym, but he supports her in what she does. He has his football and does well academically, but while you can tell people that DD placed at a gym meet, it just isn't socially acceptable here to tell people that you are proud of your child for doing well in an academic competition.

The only solution? Move closer to the gym so I can just drop her off and pop home. Competitions aren't a big problem - and are warmer to watch than football!

The library and parks! My older DD is at the gym for 3-4 hours at a time on practice days. We go to the library a lot, and now that the weather is getting better, we can go to the park, too. Also, there is a Costco close to the gym, so usually one a week, I'll do grocery shopping. YDD likes all the free samples, so sometimes we just walk around there, too, even if I don't need anything. Lol. I'll bring a big cooler in the van so I've got a place to store the groceries until we get home. But, yeah, the library and the park are lifesavers for us!

YDD loves cheering her sister on at meets and cheering for her teammates, too. ODD's team loves YDD, they call her their mascot, and they always want her to sit with them at the awards part. She is in rec right now, but seems to be progressing very well, so I imagine she will be on team soon. I was so excited one time when I realized we only have 2 more years of paying for daycare when my husband pointed out that she would probably be on team soon after that, so we wouldn't actually be seeing any increase in disposable income. #deflated lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back