Parents How do your state meets work?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I took this from the USAG website for Missouri.

Level 3 - just compete at a sanctioned USAG meet
Level 4 - 28 AA
Level 5, 6, and Excel 32 AA at a USAG sanctioned comp with more than 4 teams competing

Level 7 and Up 32 AA at any USAG sanctioned meet

I think our qualifying score for L6 in PA is 32. The qualifying score last year for L5 was 34. Our entire L6 team (18 girls) is going this year, which is nice, as 2 of the girls didn't get to go last year as L5.

Even though the score isn't very high, I think it is a great opportunity for them to compete against different girls. Except for our invitationals, we compete against the same teams in every meet...and there are only 2 other teams competing L6...and most of those girls are either older or younger than dd, so for the most part, she is just competing against her teammates at meets, which is kind of a drag. I'm looking forward to states, where there will likely be 5-7 sessions for just L6. They will break the age groups down more finely and she'll get to compete against girls from other teams and that are closer to her age. (Right now, one of the girls on our team turns 12 2 days after states, so she competes age 11. Dd turns 11 in 2 weeks, just 3 weeks before states, so they are almost a year apart.)

Anyway, I thought just the experience of going was really neat for the girls. It was held at a college and the venue was huge. Completely different than most of our meets, which are held onsite at the host gym.

In our state lower levels don't have a state meet. It starts with level 5 and it is difficult to make state. It's not a low qualifying score, you must finish in the top 10 at the meet that qualifies you to state. In some age groups you need a mid to high 37 to be in that top 10. I've known girls who have been scoring 38's all season and then they don't have a good day that day and don't qualify. I can see both sides of the argument. Making it to state is something special because most kids don't make it. It's like that in level 5/6 and then when you get to level 7 it's a 34. So really it's easier to make it to state in level 7 than level 5 here.

31 is the qualifying score for levels 4-6 and 32 for 7-10 in my state. I think 31 is a little low. If you are saying that kids need to qualify then you are indicating that a certain level of competence is required. 31 means the child, on average, is unable to score all 8s. This threshold is a little low in my opinion, as someone getting in with a 31 will be very far from having a chance at winning an award. Not sure that helps with confidence. If some worry that not making states will make them want to quit, won't not being close to winning an award leave them with the same feeling?

I am not sure about all levels, but in Arkansas for the Level 4's it is more of a "fun" meet - no team awards and no qualifying score. For levels 5 and 6 I think the qualifying score is only 29! Not sure of optionals.

In Ohio, here is what the state website says:
Level 3 is not really a State Championship... it is an Invitational. There is no Minimum AA. Held at the end of Nov/Beginning of Dec. with Levels 4-6 State Championships.
Level 4….28.00 A.A. (A Fall Season and a Spring Season... 2 State Meets - Nov/Dec and late April)
Level 5….28.00 A.A. (A Fall Season and a Spring Season... 2 State Meets - Nov/Dec and late April)
Level 6…. 28.00 A.A. (A Fall Season and a Spring Season... 2 State Meets - Nov/Dec and late April)
Level 7….30.00A.A. (One Season... State Meet in early April)
Level 8….30.00A.A. (One Season... State Meet in early April)
Level 9…. 32.00A.A. (One Season... State Meet in March)
Level 10…32.00A.A. (One Season... State Meet in March)
Xcel…. no min. A.A. (One Season... State Meet in March)
Individual event qualifying scores for State are as follows:
Level 7 & 8 to State: 8.0 minimum on qualifying event
Level 9 & 10 to State: 8.5 minimum on qualifying event

Sometimes, they break up L3-L6 Fall Meet and have separate meets, but not always.
They have 2 Divisions (American and National) based on the number of athletes in a level on a team.
Then, the levels are broken up into age groups and there is a maximum number that can be in an age group.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back