Parents How does your gym warm up vault in competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They don't give each gymnast a time- it's more of a general time. They say 6 minutes and then competition will begin. After 6 minutes they announce to the judges to begin the competition.
That doesn't make sense to me -- they get 6 mins no matter how many gymnasts are competing in that rotation/flight? Seems odd and a potential safety issue.

That doesn't make sense to me -- they get 6 mins no matter how many gymnasts are competing in that rotation/flight? Seems odd and a potential safety issue.
I think they take into account the number of gymnasts and that is all the time they allow. I am going to really start paying attention to the amount of time they allot for warm up at competitions now.....Next meet is in January so we'll see....

Usually we have a clock that has warm ups. The lowest I have seen is 12 minutes. I cannot imagine pbars warm up in 6 minutes!
I asked DS about the six minutes and he said that they usually have more time at meets. I asked if it was more than ten and he said "No", so it seems like ten minutes is more the norm. I never paid attention in the past but I do know that he usually has only ever had one chance to touch an apparatus at warm up and if he gets two chances it's because he's struggling on something and the coaches have to rush to get him on.

Yeah. I know D usually gets 2-4 turns on each event during warmups, to the point that he has to be careful not to over warm up. Coach usually has him sit down before warm ups are even over.

I will say, at a meet with a separate warm up gym, they might get a one touch on the competition equipment, but sometimes nothing at all.

Reactions: sce
I will say, at a meet with a separate warm up gym, they might get a one touch on the competition equipment, but sometimes nothing at all.
At meets where there is a separate warm up gym they have never gotten to have a warm up on the actual competition equipment.

Yeah. I know D usually gets 2-4 turns on each event during warmups, to the point that he has to be careful not to over warm up. Coach usually has him sit down before warm ups are even over.
WOW! Our boys have NEVER gotten that many turns.

Hi, I finally asked my husband (who goes to way more meets than I do) and he explained to me that in our experience (we are region 1) there are three types of warm up policies and which is used depends on the meet. But he forgets the official names for them.

Typical at most meets is "Warm up one, compete one." This involves an initial 20 minute open stretch period, then march in, then 10 minutes warm up time directly before competing each event. 10 minutes no matter how many kids are in each group. (DS said that sometimes with very large groups warm up time is increased 15 but husband disagrees.) But, when there is an extra large group and some kids were clearly shorted on warmup time, the event judge might allow a very little bit of extra warmup time for those kids. This is entirely up to the judge and rarely happens.

Other most common (but much less common) format is "Warm up all, Compete all." In that case there is an initial long warm up period where each team spends time warming up on each event, but once the competition begins, each event is competed one after the other bang bang bang.- no warm up time directly before going on the event. None. For older guys (optionals, or maybe only 10s?) they get a "touch" (I presume to make sure the equipment is set correctly) but do not run routines or do anything at all like a typical warmup. So this is a case where a gymnast would have to be capable of competing their vault without vaulting or running timers or anything at all right before it. If they are competing vault later in rotation, it may have been quite a while since they warmed up their vault.

Lastly and least common is "Warm up two, compete two." This is for very large meets where there are two flights going at the same time, and according to my husband usually only happens in the compulsory levels with huge amount of kids competing.

Hi, I finally asked my husband (who goes to way more meets than I do) and he explained to me that in our experience (we are region 1) there are three types of warm up policies and which is used depends on the meet. But he forgets the official names for them.

Typical at most meets is "Warm up one, compete one." This involves an initial 20 minute open stretch period, then march in, then 10 minutes warm up time directly before competing each event. 10 minutes no matter how many kids are in each group. (DS said that sometimes with very large groups warm up time is increased 15 but husband disagrees.) But, when there is an extra large group and some kids were clearly shorted on warmup time, the event judge might allow a very little bit of extra warmup time for those kids. This is entirely up to the judge and rarely happens.

Other most common (but much less common) format is "Warm up all, Compete all." In that case there is an initial long warm up period where each team spends time warming up on each event, but once the competition begins, each event is competed one after the other bang bang bang.- no warm up time directly before going on the event. None. For older guys (optionals, or maybe only 10s?) they get a "touch" (I presume to make sure the equipment is set correctly) but do not run routines or do anything at all like a typical warmup. So this is a case where a gymnast would have to be capable of competing their vault without vaulting or running timers or anything at all right before it. If they are competing vault later in rotation, it may have been quite a while since they warmed up their vault.

Lastly and least common is "Warm up two, compete two." This is for very large meets where there are two flights going at the same time, and according to my husband usually only happens in the compulsory levels with huge amount of kids competing.
Yes! I know that the RD762 has always been warm up all, compete all (I think it's called capitol cup format). I always thought that was a disaster waiting to happen but I guess that's why the coaches make sure the boys can do their routines "cold" so to speak. I don't think I've ever seen more than 15 boys in a group but 10 minutes doesn't allow for much time on the apparatus. I have seen the judges allow a little extra time if all of the boys didn't get to warm up before time was called (esp. on pbars where they all have different settings and like it chalked differently)...I never paid much attention to vault because it seemed like they had a lot of time in the past but this last meet I noticed how they had to change springs in the board and change the table height and add or subtract mats and that took time. Luckily we had two vaults side by side so all 12 didn't have to fight for one vault.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back