Parents How effective are Sports Psychologists?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ladybugsmom

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Hi there!

This is my first time posting after several weeks of reading many awesome posts on this forum!

My 8 year old DD just began training to compete Level 7 at a new gym. She is a super strong and powerful gymnast, and I am extremely proud of her hard work in this sport.
BUT, I know my daughter. Although fearless for the most part (with gymnastics), she is highly emotional when she feels overworked and becomes tired. The tears just flow, and asks to take a break from the gym when this happens. Of course I let her (typically no more than one week) because she truly needs it, but I am thinking about the future as skills and difficulty level increases tremendously over the next few years. Her new gym coach informed me that a few times a year they have a sports Psychologist at the gym to meet with each upper level gymnast for their mental blocks and to help them overcome these. How effective are sports psychologists in gymnastics? Should I have my DD start seeing one now or wait until zomething comes up first? Would love to hear any tips and advice you may have! Thanks so much!!!

This is just MY opinion for MY child, but the day my kid needs a psychologist to do her optional sport activity is the day we start looking for something else to do. And I say this as the parent of a kid who has had fears and mental blocks for years over many things (BWO on beam, BHS on beam, twisting on floor, giants, Tsuk vaults, etc.)

If her anxiety and fear was creeping into other areas of her life and making her not be able to handle daily life & tasks, it would be different. But the fact that she was afraid to do a BHS in a skinny piece of wood 4 feet in the air sounds perfectly normal to me.

ETA: I’d have no problem with my child participating in a group thing at the gym, but I, personally, would not be signing her up to meet with someone individually over fears that are specific to gymnastics.

Hi kayjaybe,

Thank you for your opinion! It was my understanding that sports psychology was part of the curriculum at most upper level really competitive gyms. I must be wrong about this! I just thought that the stress level and pressure at these upper levels were so intense that MOST of the gymnasts needed this type of help. Thanks for the clarification!!

Well, I guess I have an opposite opinion. In elite trampolining the majority of the juniors and seniors I know have seen a sports psychologist at some point in their career. And some see one on a regular basis just as a form of mental maintainance. Just as the majority have seen physio therapists and sports doctors. A junior elite girl explained to me, in a sport that at elite level has such a big mental component maybe even more than physical, it would be weird not to put any attention to that part. You want to be at your physical and mental best.

YDD (11, L6) saw one for mental blocks and anxiety. It had bled into school and home and sleep. Talking with the psychologist didn't necessarily help with the blocks - she still has those - but she felt it was nice to have an "outside person" to talk to about gymnastics and helped her gain perspective. Definitely improved the anxiety part outside the gym as she learned some stress management techniques and relaxation techniques.

Hi kayjaybe,

Thank you for your opinion! It was my understanding that sports psychology was part of the curriculum at most upper level really competitive gyms. I must be wrong about this! I just thought that the stress level and pressure at these upper levels were so intense that MOST of the gymnasts needed this type of help. Thanks for the clarification!!

That seems to be highly variable...some gyms embrace it while others avoid like the plague. Some folks feel needing to see one means there must be something wrong with you. If your kid was struggling with math or reading, you'd get them a tutor -- this is no different IMO. Just because something is stressful doesn't mean you need to quit...you just need to learn how to manage those situations. Most kids don't come out of the womb knowing that...

I'd also be thinking about how to set my child up for success. We are at a highly competitive gym and I can tell you that needing to take a week off randomly to rest or take a mental break wouldn't likely go over well. With an 8yr old, you need to be mindful of what your kid can handle in terms of schedule, pace, pressure, sleep, time for other things, etc etc. Unless she plans to be an Elite, there is really no reason for an 8 yr old to be L7.

That seems to be highly variable...some gyms embrace it while others avoid like the plague. Some folks feel needing to see one means there must be something wrong with you. If your kid was struggling with math or reading, you'd get them a tutor -- this is no different IMO. Just because something is stressful doesn't mean you need to quit...you just need to learn how to manage those situations. Most kids don't come out of the womb knowing that...

I'd also be thinking about how to set my child up for success. We are at a highly competitive gym and I can tell you that needing to take a week off randomly to rest or take a mental break wouldn't likely go over well. With an 8yr old, you need to be mindful of what your kid can handle in terms of schedule, pace, pressure, sleep, time for other things, etc etc. Unless she plans to be an Elite, there is really no reason for an 8 yr old to be L7.

Thanks for your reply Seeker. My daughter was just invited to the HOPES track at her gym, so she will try to go Elite. I have found that letting her take breaks when she asks for one or when I see her getting overwhelmed is the absolute best decision. She can relax stress free at home, reset, and then get back into the gym recharged. I do not think she needs a sports psychologist right now. BUT looking forward when things will get much harder much faster and the pressure is really on I just thought I may consider one, under the guidance of her coach of course! Thanks again!

Wow! If my daughter continues at her rate, she will also be a 12 year old Level 10! How did you find this psychologist? Do you mind sharing some of the topics they discuss and what advice do you think has proven to be helpful?? Thanks!

Wow! If my daughter continues at her rate, she will also be a 12 year old Level 10! How did you find this psychologist? Do you mind sharing some of the topics they discuss and what advice do you think has proven to be helpful?? Thanks!
You can check out her facebook page under Athletes Who Settle For More. Her name is Stacey Herman. She is local to where we live so we are able to meet with her in person, which has been amazing. But she works with people from all over the country and from all sports. She is very much of the mind/body connection, and while most of what she says to Lily goes right over my head Lily seems to really "get it" and is able to utilize it and she says it really helps her to remain focused and calm (or as calm as she can be) before competing.

Wonderful, Flippin! Thanks so much for your helpful response. I will certainly check her out! Best of luck to your daughter!

Our gym brings in a sports psychologist on a periodic basis. I think it is very effective for most of the athletes. My daughter trained / competed level 7 at 8 turning 9 years old and I think I needed a psychologist worse than she did. My DD was not the youngest one on team at that level by far and all our athletes will probably not become elite gymnasts. But they all were well prepared for that level and competed extremely well throughout that season. I guess my point is that it doesn't matter what the age your DD is at any given level (assuming it complies with the USAG guidelines), it is important that they are competent, confident and well prepared. If they are not, the risk of injury and the diminished love of the sport they work so hard at increases. As a parent, if I was seeing signs beyond just the normal emotions associated with my DD being tired from the daily grind of gymnastics, I would consider trying a sports psychologist out on a more routine basis.

Alex has seen one for years. She has been going since she went into novice. I don't go in the room. It's her time to talk about whatever. I think it's very normal when kids get into the higher levels.

I am her mom not her therapist and I wouldn't want to say something that wouldn't be helpful .

Lots of our clubs in our area incorporate it as part of their programs. Most offer group sessions Alex prefers one on one .

It was extremely helpful in dealing with her last coach. I don't think she could have gotten through it without her.

Nerves are normal. It's how you deal with them. That's how a therapist helps them .

My dd has seen one for a few years and it has been transformative. Her ability to handle stress when she was younger needed help - her sports therapist explained much of this comes with age/maturity and what young gymnasts are expected to handle is well beyond their emotional maturity. She is past the stress part and her mental focus is tremendous now. She has come through devastating injuries and the struggles that accompany the come back with his help. He helps her focus on what is important, how to communicate, when to push through and when to back off, and so much more. What is amazing to me is her ability to block all of the distractions/bad stuff out and "hit" when it counts regardless of the struggles. Most important is she is a happy/balanced teenager in a ridiculously stress filled/competitive environment.

I think that probably they can be beneficial. Especially with cases of mental blocks, etc. Of course, athletes in other sports also see them. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a psychologist, regardless if it’s sports-related or not.

That said, if my own child is an overall anxious/depressed mental mess, it bled over into life outside the gym, and it seemed that the sport was the trigger, we would seriously consider my child being done with the sport while also taking numerous trips to a psychologist.

This is just MY opinion for MY child, but the day my kid needs a psychologist to do her optional sport activity is the day we start looking for something else to do. And I say this as the parent of a kid who has had fears and mental blocks for years over many things (BWO on beam, BHS on beam, twisting on floor, giants, Tsuk vaults, etc.)

If her anxiety and fear was creeping into other areas of her life and making her not be able to handle daily life & tasks, it would be different. But the fact that she was afraid to do a BHS in a skinny piece of wood 4 feet in the air sounds perfectly normal to me.

ETA: I’d have no problem with my child participating in a group thing at the gym, but I, personally, would not be signing her up to meet with someone individually over fears that are specific to gymnastics.
I actually disagree with this. A big part of this sport is mental. Learning to handle that in a healthy way is a skill that they will carry for life. Learning techniques for their mental game from a professional seems like a wise thing to do.

My daughter see's one, especially during season and it has been a great experience for her. She was given different techniques on breathing, positive thoughts, and really how to compete and get out of her "brain" and get in the zone.

Wow. How did you all find local sports therapists? Or do you take them to see a normal child/adolescent psychologist? I can only find one team of sports specialized in my area, they don't take our insurance (but I'd be willing to pay) but they seem more focused on pre-teens/teens, not elementary school kids.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back