Parents How effective are Sports Psychologists?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DS did Skype sessions with Doc Ali this spring and it was really helpful for him. He was having some fears and frustrations with an injury and talking to someone who gets what gymnasts go through was key. I wouldn't hesitate to have him work with her or someone else again.

We found ours through a referral from a fellow gymnast mom. She does not take insurance, we just pay her cash ($100 for a 60 minute session).

It seems logical to provide routine therapy as ‘ maintenance’ for the mental aspect of gymnastics just as ongoing physio & massage is provided for ongoing maintenance of the body.
A psychologist is available as part of the ongoing aspect of DD’s ( junior international) training which I think is fantastic and very reassuring as a parent.
They do group sessions and also one on one as a touching base session quite regularly.
As a large part of gymnastics is the mental aspect as the levels get higher & the skills harder it just seems sensible to look after this aspect of the training.
Dd’s a pretty happy camper and I’m quite sure this is in part because she’s had support learning anxiety management etc along the way.

This is just MY opinion for MY child, but the day my kid needs a psychologist to do her optional sport activity is the day we start looking for something else to do. And I say this as the parent of a kid who has had fears and mental blocks for years over many things (BWO on beam, BHS on beam, twisting on floor, giants, Tsuk vaults, etc.)

If her anxiety and fear was creeping into other areas of her life and making her not be able to handle daily life & tasks, it would be different. But the fact that she was afraid to do a BHS in a skinny piece of wood 4 feet in the air sounds perfectly normal to me.

ETA: I’d have no problem with my child participating in a group thing at the gym, but I, personally, would not be signing her up to meet with someone individually over fears that are specific to gymnastics.

I too disagree with this thinking.

Absolutely scary to do a bhs on a beam - no kidding. But if it is causing her unbearable/unmanageable anxiety in the gym- I think a psychologist is very appropriate. It is about learning and teaching coping mechanisms and applying them to her gymnastics in her early youth and allowing her to draw parallels for her to apply to stressful or anxiety inducing situations later on in life.

Without getting too off course - the world is a different kind of tough for teenagers these days. There are different "problems" or "stressors" kids have to deal with that maybe their parents didn't. And if I as a parent would have the means/resources to provide counseling or therapy to my child who is displaying early signs of anxiety/ difficulty coping - I would jump at the opportunity. Children aren't supposed to stress. They aren't supposed to experience paralyzing anxiety, but unfortunately the perfectionism of gymnastics creates a strong breeding ground for these emotions.

I am the first one to often critique this generation of "special snowflake" children, who need a 'safe space' and recognition/reward for cleaning up after themselves or doing the bare minimum expected from them in society. But I do not discredit mental health, and mental fitness. The layer added to this generation of social media, cyber bullying, and constant comparison is extremely toxic, and it is important children are well equip to handle these perhaps overwhelming feelings.

So to conclude, if a child can learn healthy and positive coping mechanisms through their sport, and perhaps a sports psychologist, I would be optimistic that I am setting a child up to be able to handle different stresses and anxieties appropriately later on in life or not be ashamed to ask for help in the future if something becomes unbearable.

This is just MY opinion for MY child, but the day my kid needs a psychologist to do her optional sport activity is the day we start looking for something else to do. And I say this as the parent of a kid who has had fears and mental blocks for years over many things (BWO on beam, BHS on beam, twisting on floor, giants, Tsuk vaults, etc.)

If her anxiety and fear was creeping into other areas of her life and making her not be able to handle daily life & tasks, it would be different. But the fact that she was afraid to do a BHS in a skinny piece of wood 4 feet in the air sounds perfectly normal to me.

ETA: I’d have no problem with my child participating in a group thing at the gym, but I, personally, would not be signing her up to meet with someone individually over fears that are specific to gymnastics.

Interesting to hear different opinions on this issue. I disagree the notion that if a child needs a psychologist to do her “optional sport activity” then they should be looking for another sport.

Gymnastics and sport is not just an optional sport activity, it is a reflection of life. These kids come into the gym each day, and they need to face fear, sometimes they need to face paralysing fear. Their training and, if needed, the psychologist will help them develop stredegies to face these fears.

Then one day they will be adults, they will have their whole lives in front of them. They will have big (and often scary goals), they will choose to either take the risks and chase their dreams or play it safe and never reach them.

If they they are given support to learn how to break down fear as gymnasts, then they face the adult world in a much better position to chase those dreams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back