Parents how far do you drive to the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
and what would you consider too far to drive? The gym that we are thinking of switching to is further is twice the distance of our other gym and that is one of the biggest reasons we haven't already left so I was wondering how long it takes you to get to your gym?

35 minutes each way 8 times a week. it takes any where from 40 mins to an hour when we have snow, which is basically from Dec to April. My 2 girls train different days and times. m,t,w,t,f,s.

This is the nearest gym.

Don't ask about my gas bill.:eek:

60 miles each way - yuck! :eek:

3 months ago, I would have happily said less then 1.5 miles...

Most days it is about an hour and 15 minutes away. I am not looking forward to the winter travel during what the farmers almanac predicts "a lot more snow than we have had in a long time."

Unlike bog, at least I have 2 other fams to carpool with - sorry bogs :iloveusign:

Commute

Right now I am happy to say less than 3 miles each way! Previously, about 15 miles each way.

While I would say I would drive to the end of the earth for my kids, only 1 does gymnastics, so 1/2 way to the end of the earth?? My husband on the other hand thinks anything more than 15 minutes is ridiculous.

I think the distance would depend on each persons family. For mine, we are all much happier now.

We live 5 miles from DDs gym. I am very thankful for that as I hate driving. Lucky for my DD as well because I limit any classes we go to or take to 15 miles, though if it was all freeway and at a low traffic time, I would go up to 25 miles. I really really hate driving and my toddler isn't much for it either, so we try to avoid long distances except for special field trips, etc.

We have 3 other gyms within a 15 mile or less radius. The benefits (though not sure if the bad outweighs the good) of living in a big city. 60 miles radius and I think we have about 10-15 gyms.

Kudos to you mamas who are willing to do the drive!! Your kiddos are lucky! I hope they appreciate it. :D

We drive about 15 - 20 minutes. There is another gym about the same distance. Have not tried it, not really interested - but I think it is a good gym. There are several others but all at least 30 minutes away.

Our gym is about 12 miles away. With no traffic 20 minutes each way. When I drop her off at 5:00 during rush hour it is more like 40 minutes each way - and I absolutely HATE traffic !!!! There is a gym really close and all back roads, no traffic, but of course my dd hated that gym :rolleyes:

1 hour and 10 minutes on a good day. There are 2 gyms closer, but they are all very small and more for cheering, not comp.

I live in the boonies so it takes me 20-30 minutes to drive anywhere! My dd gym is close to my MILs so we travel over there every other weekend anyway ;)

35 minutes each way, three days a week. I just hang out and the gym and watch during practice, rather than go back and forth and back and forth every time.

A little less than 15 minutes away is our gym. There are a couple of other gyms about the same distance but I prefer ours because I got a "great first impression" and I love the coaches, staff, parents and kids! It's a great gym!

I guess I'm kinda lucky on this one- I drive anywhere from 5-7 minutes. In the snow or traffic, it is 10-15 min.

Wow, you moms are good! I wouldn't have the patience to drive 40 minutes 4 times a week LOL. Hope your DD's give you a big hug on mothers day:p

We live like 6 miles from the gym - it is all town driving so it takes about 15 - 20 minutes. There are 2 gyms in the area the other is about the same distance, ours is the gym with gymnastics in higher levels. They have a couple L7's and 1 L9, we ahve 6 L7's, 3 L8's, 1 L9 and 2 L10's

I actually train at 3 different gyms now, and all three are between 20 and 30 miles from my house -- and somehow they're also 20-30 miles from each other.

The way my day usually works is that I drive over to one gym to work out with a friend for a couple hours, then drive from there to the gym where I actually coach. I work out there until my kids come in, and then occasionally I'll sneak in another half hour or so of practice after my kids are done before heading home.

Last edited:
We travel about 15 minutes each way for gymnastics and 35 minutes for ice hockey. That being said depending on what it is I would travel up to an hour each way. I know we are looking at some private lessons for ice hockey and we will have to go about 1.3 each way. I look at it if it is something they want then we are willing to make the drive if we can work it into the schedule. Heck We have driven 3 hours just to get DS a jersey he wanted for practice.

I drive 20 minutes each way. Not bad. There are two gyms closer. The girls get out of school at 3:50 and practice starts at 4, so we are usually 10-15 minutes late.

Imat3

Our gym is about 3-4 miles away. We live by the west side highway and its a straight shot from there. Takes me about 15 minutes each way at pick-up. When my wife does drop of, it can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes in the rush hour traffic.

Hey Gymnasticsgirl521...is what Palin says about hockey moms true??? How do gymnastics moms compare??? I know some gym moms that are pit bulls even without any lipstick,LOL! Sorry to get off topic....We are lucky to have a good gym very close to home. Only about a 10-15minute drive on back roads. There are times we've thought of switching gyms. There are several that would be acceptable, but they are all about 1/2hr or more. The close proximity & the fact that the grass isn't always greener, keeps us where we are. Being close to home & school means many of the girls are school friends as well as gym friends. A few of them are going to a school dance together this Friday night:)

30 minutes, give or take. Googlemaps tells me it's 20 miles.

We do have two gyms closer - the one that is local is where we started and it was semi-controlled chaos. The other is in a neighboring town but there tend to be road closures frequently along the shortest route, and alternate routes are about 40mi (as compared to 13).

Besides, I'm REALLY happy with our current gym.

Mapquest claims the gym is about 10.5 miles away, but there is no direct route and both routes have major road construction going on now. Actual driving time most days is 20 minutes----in the winter with snow, can be 35-40 minutes easy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back