WAG how flexible is perfect? can a gymnast be too flexible?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lisiflex

Hey guys!

My legs are pretty flexible.
I have my hyper pancake stretch of 5 inches on each leg, front splits also 5 inches oversplit, normal middle split.

My shoulders are pretty flexible, when I am in a bridge I have them about 5 inches over my hands.

My back isn't really flexible, I can do limbers but try to avoid them as well as walkovers because I am already 21 and don't want to injure my back!

So my questions are:

1) Should I go for more? I bet I can even get more inches out of my splits, especially the pancake! Is it bad to be too flexible?

2) Is there a natural "stop"
when it comes to stretching or can you always get more flexible? Are there dangers?

3) Do you think I should stretch my back, doing scorpions and needles or is it not necessary?

4) How flexible is the perfect gymnast?

Thanks!

Don't know about your last couple of questions. But I also have a 5 inch extended japana on my right leg and 6 inches on my left. I can get both front splits down at about 10 inches of a raised front leg. Middle split is about 8 inches sometimes a little more. And I can do a led down shoulder stretch with my hands 4 inches off the ground and get my shoulders down. Finally i can stand in straddle (quite narrow) and link my hands behind my back and bend forward so the touch the floor going the wrong way.

I don't think there is such thing as too flexible for a gymnast, as long as you have the muscle to support the flexibility so you can control movements. Just think about it? Rhythmic gymnasts are rediculously flexible. Which is part of the reason I am so flexible, because I compete artistic but also train rhythmic. Hope this has helped :)

Also, you can stretch your back with these stretch just not excessively and don't force it if it hurts or isn't going as far as you expect, as this could cause injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back