How for will you travel for a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really think flyaway meets should be reserved for the upper levels. It gives children another event to aspire to. Flyaway meets should be for optional kids, a prize for the amount of work they probably put into getting there. When you see kids (not in the US) dropping out of the sport at level six because they have already won two nationals, its rather depressing.

I do not have any articles to support what I am saying (not that it matters to me), but I think it is a realistic approach to the situation.

I believe that flyaways are necessary for optionals, I personally do not believe they are required for lower levels especially when the gymnasts are under the age of I don't know, 10 - which I think most level 4s are (not all, I know). There are so many level 4 gymnasts (which is what the OP said she had) that drop out of the sport before they even reach level 7.

You will disagree with this because you did flyaways with a compulsory level gymnast. Thats ok, we can disagree.

Edited to add: that if you have the money to take a lower level gymnast to a meet - hey, go have fun (which is what I said the meets were, fun that is. But if you are on a budget it simply is not necessary for a level 4 to do a flyaway.

I never said that they were necessary. I was only trying to point out what I think are the benefits. Our gym does not require attendance at fly meets, but they do encourage it and we've had a good turnout every year.

Each year we've used frequent flier miles to purchase plane tickets. One suggestion might be to use as a primary credit card one that gives rewards.

The biggest problem that I see with travel meets is that if the host gym finalizes the competition schedule a few weeks before the meet, it can really screw up plane tickets and hotel reservations made well in advance to capitalize on super saver discounts. The last thing you want is to be holding a discounted plane ticket for a Friday only to find out that your session is on Friday:eek:

In the past our level 4s never traveled out of State for a meet--heck they just started DOING meets a few years ago! This year the Compulsories (4, 5 & 6) will go to Chicago with the Optionals, so it's an away meet (8 hr drive). I agree with another poster--it's a great bonding experience. The girls really get to know each other better and become bettr friends and we parents find friends too!

I think the thing that's being overlooked here is that doing 1 flyaway meet per season at the compulsory levels is for experience.

Next thing you know, your an optional, flying to a big meet where the competition can be some of the best teams/gymnasts in the country and it's all new to you. It can be a little overwhelming if it's your first time. I think having already been there/done that can help with budgeting time, preparation, nerves and maybe even just knowing how to get to the meet on time without rushing and having everything that you need.
I see what you're saying as we have experienced just that in another sport (not dance). But, let's just assume that my gymnast makes it to regional/national, wouldn't it be more thrilling to be experiencing that for the first time when she actually gets there.

Traveling is part of the sport. If as a compulsory, you know that you are going to do 1 fly meet a year, then you have a year to save for expenses. $25 a week might be easier to handle than coming up with all the expenses last minute.
Sorry, I don't buy this. Not when there are numerous good meets within 3 to 4 hours of driving from home.

That said, if your team is traveling, they want you there and need you to be there to support your team if you can. These meets can also have fun additional competitions like coaches choice type stuff. We went to one meet as a L5 where DD was asked to represent her team on bars. She was teamed with an optional level girl and it was a great experience for her and a real confidence booster. She was thrilled to be recognized by her coach for having had a great meet.....which I don't think would have been possible had she not already done a fly meet as a L4 and knew what to expect already.
OK, so how does the flying part come in with this extraordinary experience? (which is different to say flying is an experience on its own) Suppose you live in the same town where these best meets are held, do you go across country to look for yet another experience that aren't as good?

I agree with another poster--it's a great bonding experience. The girls really get to know each other better and become bettr friends and we parents find friends too!
So, why couldn't the gymnasts and the parents bond when they are home or at a local meet? ...unless one needs to be trapped in a place for more than a couple of days to become friends. Like I said, we've been there and done that (several times). There was no extra bonding that I saw at an away event than being around home.

Big meets can be experienced just the same without flying. For almost everyone, I won't say everyone because I know it is not true, you can get the experience of a "big" meet without incurring the cost of flying. At a compulsory level I personally do not believe that you have to fly to get experience. Most can drive and achieve the same experience within a few hours from home. JMHO.
GS, I guess you beat me to it.

Last edited:
Our gym does one *away* meet each year for the kids in levels 7-9. The meet is completely optional, and scheduled for the week when the kids are on March break at school so no school is missed.

Bean didn't go last year as I couldn't afford it. This year she's planning on going and has been saving for months in preparation.

I have no problem with her going, and I think it will be a positive experience for her. I only wish that it was an every other year opportunity..that would be a little more gentle on the pocket book!

We are in WI and need to drive to our meets. Last year we went to Minn, Chicago, and multi trips to Milwaukee. Our coaches also last year started with one "travel meet" that is strictly optional for any one that wants to go. Last year it was WDW--Sand Dollar I took my DD and my son and made a vacation out of it. I think that we only had about 7 level 4, one level 6 and a boy attend. This year we voted on our meet options were San Diego, Dallas or Cancun. Cancun was the winner, I am taking my DD who wil either be doing her last level 4 meet or first level 5 meet there and sharing the room with another mom and daughter. I think that our gym of 35+ compulsory girls have about 10 families attending this meet.

We have a great pair of young coaches who like to get the girls out there for different experiences. I would like if I can take DD to the travel meet each year, so I try to stash away a little money every pay check for it, if it was every too much of a hardship I would not go.

Notamom, there are two sides two every coin. If my gym decides to do something fun and different, I'm in. To answer some of your questions:

For me personally, I like when we travel to meets where we compete against teams that we don't usually see in our home state. It's an opportunity to see what everyone else is doing and you can get to some where the competition level is very high, which for my DD is a good experience.

Also, we are already friends with the other team parents and we do get together outside of the gym when we can. Team dinners after a meet, or summer bbq's and sleep over's for the girls are pretty much part of the routine. Also, many of the sibling's are also close so for us, going someplace new can be an adventure and we don't feel like we're 'stuck in the same place' with the other parents. Additionally, I think it's fun to kick back with a few cocktails with the other mom's and dad's when I don't have to drive.

We've explored several fun places together, enjoyed the local activities and people, rented a bus so the team can travel together to the meet, put the entire team up in my families home.

To answer the main question, these meets are not required, they are optional but attendance is encouraged. For us, I would rather travel to California, Texas or Florida then go to N.J. for an out of state meet, but that's just my personal opinion.

Hey, just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean you need to bust on my State - take back that NJ comment NOW!!! :D That's hitting below the belt... ;)

To answer the main question, these meets are not required, they are optional but attendance is encouraged. For us, I would rather travel to California, Texas or Florida then go to N.J. for an out of state meet, but that's just my personal opinion.

Last year was the first year our gym even competed below level 4 (so I was told anyway) and we had to drive about 2 hours to get to the meets. This year for level 3 we are going to the same place for the majority of our meets, but next year apparently it is going to change. Level 2 and 3 meets are gaining popularity in our area and there will be enough local meets that the travel thing will not be needed.

That said, we are adding more and more travel meets for levels 4 and up. Most are driving distance with one flyaway meet this year. Next year I think we are adding a 2nd flyaway meet and more driving distance ones.

My family and I love to travel so we have no issues with it. :)

I think traveling to big meets (whether you drive or fly) is important for optionals. You don't want Regionals to be your first really big meet. We had this occur for some of our Level 8 girls last year due to the fact that the parent association had no funds and parents had to pay their own way to meets. As a result, we stayed local for all our meets until Regionals. At Level 8 Regionals, one of our very talented (and very young) L8s was so intimidated by the venue and the competition that it affected her performance. It's definitely important to get out there at the upper levels and see what other gyms are doing. As a result of last year's experience, our optionals are attending two larger out of state meets (only one of which requires flying). I'm not sold on the importance of it at the lower levels, though if you can afford it then I'm sure it's fun and a great experience for the kids.

Meg

My dd is a new L5 the futherst we have gone has compulsory was 4hrs.Our opt.I do not know for sure how many out of state meets they attend.I believe it really depends were you live if you have any large meets close to you.I know in Fl we have several large meets which alot of out of state girls attend.

Hey, just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean you need to bust on my State - take back that NJ comment NOW!!! :D That's hitting below the belt... ;)
Now, I may have to take sides with TeamDad on this one. (I'm from NY)
Bring it on...
snowfight.gif

Ya know... NJ is not a bad place, although we have been referred to as the armpit state, we do have corrupt gov't and extremely high taxes - but if you do come here you will not have to pump your own gas! That has to speak volumes here people!!!!!

I am sure that TeamDad has pd you to make this comment.... :rottentomato: :fryingpan:

Oh, I'll bring it! :neenerneener:

Now, I may have to take sides with TeamDad on this one. (I'm from NY)
Bring it on...
snowfight.gif

HEY HEY....nother Jersey girl here to represent!

Only starting third year in competition, but as a L4 my DD's meets were all drivable and most in NJ. Even the one in NY was only a 2 hr drive. At that time though, our L5 team also did drivable meets but being in NJ we are LUCKY (HAHA!) to be able to hit several states within a 3 hr drive...NY, PA, DEL, MD, CT for that out-of-state competition experience!! We've gone to small meets where there were only a couple other gyms there and we've been to Atlantic City for a HUGE meet where gyms up and down East Coast attend.

For my family, keeping it close to home keeps the cost down. They don't have to be fly away meets to achieve bonding, fun, experience, team unity, ect....for states we did stay in a hotel due to early session and had a blast! I have 2 other children so fly away meet would be mean missing other sports/games. If gymie were my "only" I wouldn't mind, LOL, and I would have more $$ to spend on those fly away meets. I am not sure what we are doing w/new gym for L5 meets. I know they went to Buck Eye last yr and went by bus and had a blast. I know there will be one farther away meet, but still drivable I think. I am perfectly happy waiting until L7 to fly away. By then kids will be older, finances might be better and we might be ready for something different!

See what you started TeamDad, you had to go there. Now all the NJ people are going to be in an uproar!!! NotAMom had to try to squash our spirits too.

Not happening, we will unite and fight the good fight!!! :cool:

Just for the record, I didn't pay Blackie to say this, but will consider paying her admission fee to a meet if we should every meet up again.... :p

I am feeling stronger today than ever before.... :huge: (like the big head, huh!!!)

Ya know... NJ is not a bad place, although we have been referred to as the armpit state, we do have corrupt gov't and extremely high taxes - but if you do come here you will not have to pump your own gas! That has to speak volumes here people!!!!!

I am sure that TeamDad has pd you to make this comment.... :rottentomato: :fryingpan:

Oh, I'll bring it! :neenerneener:

GO GRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I mentioned in my post below, or maybe it will be above now (LOL) we are so lucky to be able to hit so many great meets out of state within a couple hours drive! We are within driving distance to NY, CT, MD, PA, and DE! We have plenty of meets to choose from big or small.

LOL, Granny!

See what you started TeamDad, you had to go there. Now all the NJ people are going to be in an uproar!!! NotAMom had to try to squash our spirits too.

Not happening, we will unite and fight the good fight!!! :cool:

Just for the record, I didn't pay Blackie to say this, but will consider paying her admission fee to a meet if we should every meet up again.... :p

I am feeling stronger today than ever before.... :huge: (like the big head, huh!!!)

It's my day off work today...and see what I am doing...playing on the computer.

Yeah, Granny, will NOT be at the Classic this time around, LOL, but I hear it's in Staten Island (?????) this year.

Oh, Staten Island...another of my favorite places:D and....did I mention that I refuse to listen to any Springstein;)...and as long as I'm on a roll here....I will never wear a tye dye t-shirt.....ever!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back