Parents How important is the state meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are closing on a house in a different state in a couple weeks. We’ve been planning on staying where we are until our daughter’s state meet in mid-May. But it recently occurred to us that maybe we don’t have to let gymnastics rule our lives. So we’re considering the possibility of, you know, living in the house we’re going to be paying for. Crazy, right?

But I’m curious what impact, if any, it might have on our daughter to move to a new gym before the end of the meet season. I mean, I know people do it all the time, but since we have options, we’re just weighing them.

(Oh, and we homeschool, so that’s why the school calendar doesn’t figure into this.)

A few things would determine my decision - the level she is competing, how far away you are moving (can you still attend state meet), whether you are going to continue gymnastics where you are moving, so she will have future state meets, etc.

Honestly most of the time state meets are a team bonding experience. Normally they include road-trips or flights which are fun and some teams have traditions like going out for lunch together afterwards or something. Most of the time they are held at or near fun locations. If you live near Florida maybe then states will be super close to Disney, or if it is in Pennsylvania then it might be close to Hershey park. She may feel left out or just pulled away from her team if she misses this. it might also be fun for her to go to her last meet when it is a big meet near a fun convention or something. But one thing to keep in mind, if your gym participates in this, if she meets requirements, she may qualify for another competition like regionals which will you Would need to go to.
personally if you can finacially let her have this meet, I would, coming from a teenage gymnast that would be upset at my parents if they didn’t let me lol

A few things would determine my decision - the level she is competing, how far away you are moving (can you still attend state meet), whether you are going to continue gymnastics where you are moving, so she will have future state meets, etc.

She’s only level 4. We would definitely be able to drive to the state meet (moving from NY to CT). I just assume she won’t be able to participate with her current team in May after she has been training with her new team since March. (I definitely do not want to drive to the city four times a week so she can continue training with her current team.)

Honestly most of the time state meets are a team bonding experience. Normally they include road-trips or flights which are fun and some teams have traditions like going out for lunch together afterwards or something. Most of the time they are held at or near fun locations. If you live near Florida maybe then states will be super close to Disney, or if it is in Pennsylvania then it might be close to Hershey park. She may feel left out or just pulled away from her team if she misses this. it might also be fun for her to go to her last meet when it is a big meet near a fun convention or something. But one thing to keep in mind, if your gym participates in this, if she meets requirements, she may qualify for another competition like regionals which will you Would need to go to.
personally if you can finacially let her have this meet, I would, coming from a teenage gymnast that would be upset at my parents if they didn’t let me lol
In the Northeast. most people don’t fly for states. Or even Regionals. And depending on the level, with so many age groups the gym team is pretty split up in different sessions. Theybcan even be the same level and competing on different days

She’s only level 4. We would definitely be able to drive to the state meet (moving from NY to CT). I just assume she won’t be able to participate with her current team in May after she has been training with her new team since March. (I definitely do not want to drive to the city four times a week so she can continue training with her current team.)
Personally I would not pull my kid so close to states. And I certainly wouldn’t be starting a new gym until the season ends.

The new gym will be getting their kids ready for states, probably not the best time to be having coaches working with a new kid. I wonder if they could even get a Leo in time.

In the long term is it important? No. Short term it might be very important to her. And she has done the work she should have the opportunity to compete with coaches she is comfortable with, gymnasts she is comfortable with. Have a proper ending.

And then when states are over have a proper beginning at the new gym.

How does she feel? It’s only a few weeks. And they might be very important to her.

Do you have a new gym lined up? I ask because it is, IME, rare for a gym to take a new athlete during competition season. There are exceptions, but it's also possible she won't have a team to train with until after states/regionals are over where you are moving.

If you already have a gym, I'd talk to current gym about coming back as well as to the new gym and see if it's feasible. If she doesn't compete for the new gym, you can wait to change her gym affiliation in USAG until after states.

Might as well have all the information before deciding.

As far as gymnastics trajectory, L4 states is not going to matter. As far as the emotional health of your child, it is going to depend on your child. Some might not care, some might be devastated.

I agree with letting her stay at the gym until the state meet if possible. Just for the closure and as a reward of sorts. But this description of the state meet is definitely not what our experience has been. lol. Unless you live in a huge state, I don't see why it would be a flying/travel meet as compared to a regular season meet? The state meet is literally the closest meet we compete in and the only one in the same state as us lately. lol. Plus, as another poster mentioned, my daughter's state meet has always been split into multiple sessions by age groups. There were some state meets where my daughter was one of only 2 or 3 from her team in the same session. And it's never been at a fun location either. lol. I guess it definitely depends on what state you are in!

But I do agree with the sentiment about letting her go if possible.

She’s only level 4.

We don't even do the state meet for Level 4 anymore as it's in the fall season. We have decided to only compete our gymnasts in the spring season. Due to this... our team always competes together... as a team. All of our fall season meets are divided by age like a state meet. Not doing the state meet at the compulsory levels has been great for our club... much less pressure.

If you already have a new gym that has accepted your dd to the team, I would discuss the situation with both gyms and see what they say your options are.

I agree.

The Level 4 state meet for CT is happening this weekend, so perfect timing for your daughter to join her new gym. By the time the NY state meet rolls around in May, she might have fully moved on and embraced her new gym/team.

I would be inclined to move sooner than later so that you all can get settled into your new digs. The only things that would make me consider staying is a combination of the following: Is leaving the sport? Is she an older than average gymnast? Does she have a strong opinion on staying? Does she have a shot at a high placement at state? The answers to those questions would be the only thing that might push me to staying.

The emotional closure of the state meet might be important.
It's hard to move away from friends, school, routines and land in a totally new place. It's hard for a kid to work up to something with all their friends and then get pulled away.
Going to state, if you can afford it, might help ease the transition.

The emotional closure of the state meet might be important.
It's hard to move away from friends, school, routines and land in a totally new place. It's hard for a kid to work up to something with all their friends and then get pulled away.
Going to state, if you can afford it, might help ease the transition.
Our state meets are separated by age and my older-than-average kiddo was usually competing in a session by herself.

Our state meets are separated by age and my older-than-average kiddo was usually competing in a session by herself.
Our regionals are too, but we attend teammates sessions to cheer and support. I guess not everyone does that (which makes sense...it's a PITA...esp if it's far away...which in this case it is so...nevermind :) )

At level 4 I wouldn't worry about her returning for the State meet. Given that the CT level 4 States are this weekend, I think it's a great time to move her. She'll start off with a team that just finished their season and are now uptraining. Ideal time to begin at a new gym IMO, and by May I can't imagine she'd still feel that connected to her old team that she would really want to go back for one meet. I don't think States are all that big a deal until things like Regionals, Easterns/Westerns, and Nationals come into play. There is no rule that a kid must compete at States to move up to the next level.

Our regionals are too, but we attend teammates sessions to cheer and support. I guess not everyone does that (which makes sense...it's a PITA...esp if it's far away...which in this case it is so...nevermind :) )
We'd cheer on others too although this often didn't happen when they competed on a school day (which seemed to be every year until upper levels).

It is level 4. Competing or not at States will not have any impact on her long term gymnastics career. If new gym is done with States this weekend it is the perfect time to join them. Absolutely no reason to drive back to compete with a gym in a state you no longer live. Again it is level 4 not level 10.

Have you asked her how she is feeling? Maybe a simple "let's talk. These are the options in front of us. What do you think?" She may surprise you and say "it's okay, I don't need to do state." Or she may say "I really want to go" and it's closure she needs. L4 state has 0 bearing on her gym career BUT that does not mean it isn't important today. I don't know how old she is but given the other changes going on in her life, I'd seek her input. She should feel good about the decision as best she can because it is her gym journey at the end of the day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back