Parents How important is the state meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Have you asked her how she is feeling? Maybe a simple "let's talk. These are the options in front of us. What do you think?" She may surprise you and say "it's okay, I don't need to do state." Or she may say "I really want to go" and it's closure she needs. L4 state has 0 bearing on her gym career BUT that does not mean it isn't important today. I don't know how old she is but given the other changes going on in her life, I'd seek her input. She should feel good about the decision as best she can because it is her gym journey at the end of the day.
I’ve definitely been chatting with her about it to get her thoughts. She’s only 8 and not a super opinionated kid. She seems to be fine either way. She really just loves all meets, so I think she would like to attend every meet she can. But also, it’s not like we’d leave this entirely up to her (we have three other kids, and we do stand to save $10k-$20k by not doubling up on housing payments, so that definitely matters!).

She’s only 8 and not a super opinionated kid. She seems to be fine either way. She really just loves all meets, so I think she would like to attend every meet she can. But also, it’s not like we’d leave this entirely up to her (we have three other kids, and we do stand to save $10k-$20k by not doubling up on housing payments, so that definitely matters!).
have been a parent in this sport for 12 years. She is 8 and she has about 11 more years if she sticks with it. Seriously don’t waste anymore thought on it. Level 4 states just doesn’t matter, really it seems like the world right now but it isn’t. This sport is a long haul. My advice as a level 10 parent at the beginning stages put your family first cause as the years progress it gets harder and harder to do that. Enjoy your new home and let your child join her new gym. Nothing will be lost. Seriously take my word on this one. Wish I had been given this advice all those years ago before life is consumed by this sport

Agree with moving now especially if she is not fussed and it is going to save you that much money. Imagine if you stayed and she got sick or sprained an ankle the week of the event and had to miss it anyway.

I’d move now, especially if she doesn’t have a major opinion on the matter.

It will likely be easier for her to bond with her new teammates now when the new teams are forming in your new state vs. a few months in.

We live in Florida and our experience at level 4 states was not like this last year. For us it was just another meet with incredibly tough competition. The separate age groups separated part of our team and the long trip made it hard for people to stay and cheer others on. Our coaches handled it like every other meet and were only with the girls during competition. No big bonding time or celebration.

I’ve definitely been chatting with her about it to get her thoughts. She’s only 8 and not a super opinionated kid. She seems to be fine either way. She really just loves all meets, so I think she would like to attend every meet she can. But also, it’s not like we’d leave this entirely up to her (we have three other kids, and we do stand to save $10k-$20k by not doubling up on housing payments, so that definitely matters!).
Yikes. $10-20k is a "sorry but we can't stay for the State meet. Do you want to get a photo of your team and we can put it in a special frame to remember the season?"

She'll be happy enough with the new team within 6-8 practices.

I agree.

The Level 4 state meet for CT is happening this weekend, so perfect timing for your daughter to join her new gym. By the time the NY state meet rolls around in May, she might have fully moved on and embraced her new gym/team.
I was going to say that I'd see if I could work it out to drive back and compete for the old team but reading this, it really seems like it would be much more fun to start with her new team full force right after they finish states and start working upgrades. And for $10-20K, we'd definitely be moving right along!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back