How is it where you are?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25901
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Notifying the entire class, as is done with other contagious illnesses and with allergies, does not violate any privacy rules. The infected person is not identified when the entire class is notified.

Furthermore, our school is NOT distancing students and is having them remove masks to eat lunch in classrooms, with a prohibition on opening doors and windows. Everyone in the classroom is at risk.

Actually I have never been notified if someone in my child’s class has an allergy. The rare occasion that we do send in snacks, it’s from an approved list because of potential allergies. Nor have I been notified of any illnesses such as the flu, strep, or any other contagious virus. The most information that was given came in the form of a letter from the school nurse reminding us to wash hands and check temperatures because of an uptick in cases of flu or stomach virus. Again, no specific classroom. Just like our County school system has done with Covid. Same procedure. They post on the website If there has been a positive case in a school but no other specifics have been given. So no I do not feel that I am owed anymore additional information than I have been given previously. This virus has over a 99% recovery rate. I am far more concerned with their mental health and educational needs. Otherwise I would have chosen the virtual option provided to us.

As previously stated, our county has been open for in person school since Labor Day. A few schools have isolated cases, all of which were transmitted outside of school and no transmissions have occurred in the school buildings. The large outbreak that was expected has up until this point not occurred. And they are wearing masks but they are not always distanced. So the measures put in place and the masks are working.

And I forgot to add that they do not wear masks when sitting at their desks or when outside playing. Only when they are doing group work. And still no in school transmissions to date. It can be done safely.

I hope it continues to work out so well for you, @TumbleTimes4. (Saying that with full sincerity in case it could be read otherwise.) I was just on a walk with a friend who had COVID in March. She is super fit, no pre existing conditions etc and had a (by definition) “mild case”, yet she’s still got symptoms and doctors say the damage to her organs such as lungs may be permanent. They just don’t know. It’s all so hard. Agree that mental health and financial concerns are very real, but so are the risks with this virus. It’s cruddy all around.

Notifying the entire class, as is done with other contagious illnesses and with allergies, does not violate any privacy rules. The infected person is not identified when the entire class is notified.

Furthermore, our school is NOT distancing students and is having them remove masks to eat lunch in classrooms, with a prohibition on opening doors and windows. Everyone in the classroom is at risk.
I can't speak to your districts policy or your buildings ventilation.

We have a huge measles outbreak here last year. Cases all over the place. You absolutely do not get notified unless you are a direct exposure. We actually had a very good doctor get fired because he mentioned that there was a measles case in the ER. Yes that is considered a HIPPA violation because if someone knew who was in the ER they could know the patient.

An excellent lab tech I worked with also got fired for a HIPPA violation. Because she mentioned she had a horrible night in the blood bank to due a mass transfusion from a car accident. Again, accident in paper, the hospital. Now a connection to victims could be made. These people were literally at work one day and gone the next.

We do not mass notified of anything specific as it relates to school. Not lice, stomach viruses, flus. As with Covid, something like measles, there would be a broad announcement that there were cases and the would contact those with direct risk.

Depending on a buildings ventilation opening windows could create more of a risk.

And no, brief unmasking with more than 6 feet of distancing is not considered a risk as per the guidelines. I can actually speak to this from experience, having just took my break unmasked with someone with Covid, not symptomatic. We had a meal together, unmasked, at the same table in a very small windowless breakroom. I did not get Covid. No symptoms, tested negative multiple times. This is about close prolonged exposure and symptomatic folks.

I recognize you do not like or trust the guidelines. And it is certainly your right to keep you and yours home. As you should if you are high risk.

The reality is the cases are not coming from the schools. Its very rare. Even Europe, also experiencing high cases are not closing schools. The cases are not coming from the schools.

Bottom line, if someone is in the lunchroom and ends up positive they will notified the families of the kids seated close to the positive kid. No not the kids 20 feet across the room. I understand you don't like that. But it is not necessary to notify the whole room. Which is a moot point either way if you are having your children do remote.

The reality is the cases are not coming from the schools. Its very rare. Even Europe, also experiencing high cases are not closing schools. The cases are not coming from the schools.

It may not be spreading at the schools a lot, but it a huge issue. Both the districts in my county are going remote because, due to quarantines of close contacts and cases, they cannot staff the school. THere are not enough subs, and teachers are being quarantined. It is a huge issue. My son's high school has 29 cases, and has been in person hybrid for 3 weeks. They start remote tomorrow, whole district on the 23rd.

Staffing a school is an issue, so anytime a cohort or class is quarantined, it affects multiple staff members. Too many out, and not enough subs, becomes a huge issue. So whether or not it is spreading at schools, keeping schools open may not always be possible.

Germany: More and more cases in schools. Still open so. Austria and Italy closed all schools to date to stop the spread. In Munich alone more than 1500 students are currently quarantined. Students and staff wear masks for 8 hours a day nearly all the time. It offers little protection but a little bit is better than none. Windows are open, it is very cold most of the day. I am teaching in ski clothing, kids are bundled up with blankets and hats. It feels all quite surreal and I feel we could do a much better job going back online. But oh well, not my decision to make. We now know that schools are not safe at all if there is high covid incidence all around (community transmission).

Germany: More and more cases in schools. Still open so. Austria and Italy closed all schools to date to stop the spread. In Munich alone more than 1500 students are currently quarantined. Students and staff wear masks for 8 hours a day nearly all the time. It offers little protection but a little bit is better than none. Windows are open, it is very cold most of the day. I am teaching in ski clothing, kids are bundled up with blankets and hats. It feels all quite surreal and I feel we could do a much better job going back online. But oh well, not my decision to make. We now know that schools are not safe at all if there is high covid incidence all around (community transmission).

Are all schools in Italy closed, or just high schools?

We have a huge measles outbreak here last year. Cases all over the place. You absolutely do not get notified unless you are a direct exposure. We actually had a very good doctor get fired because he mentioned that there was a measles case in the ER. Yes that is considered a HIPPA violation because if someone knew who was in the ER they could know the patient.

An excellent lab tech I worked with also got fired for a HIPPA violation. Because she mentioned she had a horrible night in the blood bank to due a mass transfusion from a car accident. Again, accident in paper, the hospital. Now a connection to victims could be made. These people were literally at work one day and gone the next.

We do not mass notified of anything specific as it relates to school. Not lice, stomach viruses, flus. As with Covid, something like measles, there would be a broad announcement that there were cases and the would contact those with direct risk.

Depending on a buildings ventilation opening windows could create more of a risk.

And no, brief unmasking with more than 6 feet of distancing is not considered a risk as per the guidelines. I can actually speak to this from experience, having just took my break unmasked with someone with Covid, not symptomatic. We had a meal together, unmasked, at the same table in a very small windowless breakroom. I did not get Covid. No symptoms, tested negative multiple times. This is about close prolonged exposure and symptomatic folks.

I recognize you do not like or trust the guidelines. And it is certainly your right to keep you and yours home. As you should if you are high risk.

Bottom line, if someone is in the lunchroom and ends up positive they will notified the families of the kids seated close to the positive kid. No not the kids 20 feet across the room. I understand you don't like that. But it is not necessary to notify the whole room. Which is a moot point either way if you are having your children do remote.

You work in health care, presumably for an entity covered by HIPAA. HIPAA privacy rules generally do not apply to schools: https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profe...ipaa-apply-to-an-elementary-school/index.html

Back in kindergarten and early elementary, we regularly got notices of exposure to lice, strep, etc. in the classroom. Every year, we also get one or more notices that there is a child with a specific allergy in a specific class, so snacks containing the allergen may not be consumed in the classroom. It could be peanuts in math, tree nuts in English, and dairy in history. So it is definitely individual information.

You work in health care, presumably for an entity covered by HIPAA. HIPAA privacy rules generally do not apply to schools: https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profe...ipaa-apply-to-an-elementary-school/index.html

Back in kindergarten and early elementary, we regularly got notices of exposure to lice, strep, etc. in the classroom. Every year, we also get one or more notices that there is a child with a specific allergy in a specific class, so snacks containing the allergen may not be consumed in the classroom. It could be peanuts in math, tree nuts in English, and dairy in history. So it is definitely individual information.
Exactly.

And you are not entitled to know who that child with the peanut allergy is. You are not entitled to know if your kid sits next to the peanut allergy kid. All you are entitled to is notice of the allergy.

Nor are you entitled to know who the kid with lice is or if the sit next to your kid.

And I can assure you if the school shared my kids issues if she had them, without my permission, they would be hit with a lawsuit in a NY minute and I would win.

They can’t even tell us “who” threatened violence at school. They can tell us there was a threat made. And they can not reveal “who” made it.

Label it whatever you want there are privacy boundaries.

And you are not entitled to know who that child with the peanut allergy is. You are not entitled to know if your kid sits next to the peanut allergy kid. All you are entitled to is notice of the allergy.

Nor are you entitled to know who the kid with lice is or if the sit next to your kid...

...Label it whatever you want there are privacy boundaries.
Yes, that is exactly what she is saying. There are privacy boundaries, and the school is drawing a much tighter circle around information than is required by the boundaries.

Based on her actual experience, the school has previously notified specific classrooms of health issues present in that classroom. Not who the actual child is, but that there was an occurrence in the class. They have likely researched their responsibilities and boundaries around privacy, and found that classroom-wide notification was within those boundaries. However, they are NOT doing so in this case. The boundaries and rules don’t change depending on the condition.

Yes, that is exactly what she is saying. There are privacy boundaries, and the school is drawing a much tighter circle around information than is required by the boundaries.

Based on her actual experience, the school has previously notified specific classrooms of health issues present in that classroom. Not who the actual child is, but that there was an occurrence in the class. They have likely researched their responsibilities and boundaries around privacy, and found that classroom-wide notification was within those boundaries. However, they are NOT doing so in this case. The boundaries and rules don’t change depending on the condition.
Exactly. You said it much better than I did.

Positives are way up here. Much higher than even back in the spring, but hospitalizations are up but still pretty low and deaths are very low. Hopefully they stay that way. Based on demographic data it looks like they are doing a good job protecting the elderly and we have very good mask conformity.

there has been no talk of additional restrictions but things here Are not nearly and never have been as open as other places. I feel like the balance is good and long as the hospitals are doing ok they should likely leave it as is.

School never opened, all remote. Very pleased with how our district has handled things and stepped up for families in need.

Gym is open and business as usual same since June. No cases or anyone having to quarantine because of exposure as of yet.
I am confused and forgive me if I am wrong...I thought your daughters gym closed! If this wasn’t you, I apologize. If it was you, then I am thrilled to hear it managed to stay open through all of this!!

As a retired teacher I can attest that I would never ever say which kid had an allergy in a letter to parents or that a particular kid did have one. This would not go over well. I would always just say because allergies are so prevalent with young children I do not want to have any snacks that could cause an issue, and offer a list of snacks that could work....and if parents wanted to know about a certain snack in particular, to feel free to ask. It is safer to just assume everyone has an allergy because honestly? Allergies can come out of nowhere at any time in ones life, and I don’t need a serious allergy from a nut happening on my watch.

@Deleted member 18037 is correct with her information. That’s how it works here as well and I’m in a different state. And I agree with how they are handling it. If your school is social distancing the children and requiring masks, then not every child in the classroom will meet the DOH’s criteria and therefore not at risk of contracting the virus. Notifying everyone could create unnecessary panic. If you don’t like the DOH’s criteria, then you have an online option for education. Your need to know does not entitle you to possible exposing of my child’s medical confidentiality.
The district where my kids used to go to school in TX has a covid19 dashboard where they list cases by school and grade. That way parents are aware but the district is not giving child specific information. They have been back in person 5 full days since August.

My kids ( we currently live in IL) were back at school hybrid for 9 days and they are already going back to full time online after tomorrow, based on county metrics. Illinois is pretty much a mess and there is a lot of confusion and frustration because the state started to add probable and antigen tests to our confirmed (by a molecular test) total numbers and since then there has been over 10,000 cases a day. There has also been days where over 100,000 tests have come in over a 24 hour period.

My gymnasts gym is now having them wear masks the entire practice and hoping that the entire state is not shut down, again.

I am confused and forgive me if I am wrong...I thought your daughters gym closed! If this wasn’t you, I apologize. If it was you, then I am thrilled to hear it managed to stay open through all of this!!
Nope, not me. But we will see if they make it now. You can all disregard everything I just said. Governor just locked us down. All indoor youth sports prohibited, along with a lot of other stuff. Through mid December at the earliest, but my guess is through the first of the year. My personal opinion is this is a grave overreaction to the circumstances here which are much better than the vast majority of the rest of the country. There was also no plan to support businesses or families effected with only a vague promise that they are trying to figure it out. I am so mad

Nope, not me. But we will see if they make it now. You can all disregard everything I just said. Governor just locked us down. All indoor youth sports prohibited, along with a lot of other stuff. Through mid December at the earliest, but my guess is through the first of the year. My personal opinion is this is a grave overreaction to the circumstances here which are much better than the vast majority of the rest of the country. There was also no plan to support businesses or families effected with only a vague promise that they are trying to figure it out. I am so mad

yes to all of this. I don’t feel that enough weight is given to small businesses and families who stand to lose everything if another lengthy shut down occurs, especially in our area where the numbers are still low and the shut down is not needed. If one occurs, the gyms in our area will probably not survive, along with many other small businesses. These people stand to lose everything: jobs, homes, etc and it doesn’t look like there will be any help available to them at the state or federal level. It’s not just about children not getting to do gymnastics anymore, it’s also about how are they now going to provide for their families without losing everything. And that’s what So many people don’t seem to understand. It’s not selfish for them to want to stay open so that they can feed their families. Not everyone can work from home.

I’m waiting to hear if our governor’s restrictions will impact our gym. Another gym in the area just shut down bc of an outbreak involving coaches and gymnasts. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back