How long do sprains take to feel better?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Last Friday, my 7yo DD fell out of a high rebound and landed on her outstretched hand. It didn't have any swelling or bruising and ONLY hurt when she tried handstands/putting pressure on it like a handstand, etc, would. No pain with hanging from the bars though or just normal movement.

I put in in a rigid wrist splint immediately, iced it for 48 hours off and on, and she has had it on all the time except to shower, etc. Her coach taped it at the gym, but she has been restricted to things that didn't put pressure on her wrist.

It was still hurting and had me concerned, so took her to the doctor on Thursday. The x-ray was negative. Doctor said that he was pretty sure we could be sure there was no growth plate fracture or anything since it has been 6 days since the injury, we would see some healing of the fracture. I was worried that maybe it just wasn't showing yet, but he said he was pretty confident that she just has a sprain and it could take a few weeks to get better.

I thought I read somewhere that it is rare for young children to get sprains because they have growth plates or something like that. I am still worried she might have a fractured growth plate or possibly a buckle/torus fracture. My plan was to make her wear the splint/brace 24/7 for the next 3 weeks (so 4 weeks total in a splint) and then see how it feels. I imagine if she had something major, it would have showed on the x-ray. Fractures of the growth plate and buckle/torus fractures are often missed. Treating like a fracture will hopefully insure healing if something was missed. She has been really good about wearing the splint all the time, not without complaints, but that is to be expected. LOL.

My question: Do sprains really take a long time to heal? She tried putting pressure on it today, 9 days after the injury and it still hurts the same as it did before. Not worse, not better she says. Is that normal for a sprain? I've never sprained anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I sprained my ankle when I was 7. It hurt so bad the first week I cried if anyone tried to carry me, I had to sit in a moving car, or I tried to move by sliding (all caused vibration). It was fully 6 weeks before I too my first step. I probably would have been better off with an actual break.
My impression is that there's a lot of variation in how long they take to heal.
But then I'm not a medical person.
Wishing her a speedy recovery!!

Sparins come in varying severtities (Grade 1-3), so healing time can greatly vary. Did the doctor say what grade he thought it may be? 9 days does not seem too concerning. Continue with rest, ice, compression, and elevation and it should heel soon.

Mariposa,

Morgan had a high ankle sprain (2 yrs ago) and it took a good 6 weeks beofre she was pain free. I would just keep doing what you are doing and just give it time.

It took BB five weeks before she could do a handstand or even attempt a round off. But we knew she had to be 100% pain free for that. I would say by three weeks the pain had gone enough for her to begin the programme the PT gave her for rehab, very light weights and gentle stretching.

Give it more time.

last year i sprained my ankle the week before state, i was on crutches for the week leading up to state and 2 weeks after yet i still did compete state but was off gym for 5 weeks all up.. it does take a while to heal different sprains depending on the severity
hope she has a speedy recovery!

i sprained my ankle in october (a high sprain, at least grade 2), and i still have a lot of pain.

It could have possibly injured the tendon too, which in my experience has taken longer to heal (although I'm sure it depends). I would keep doing rest and icing.

Thanks everyone! He didn't say anything except that it was just a bad sprain. He did say it could take weeks to heal, but my worrying tendencies have kicked in big time. I thought I would feel better after taking her to the doctor and hearing no fracture, but after reading so much about things not showing sometimes with x-ray have freaked myself out.

Definitely will be resting for the next 2-3 weeks. Then doing some PT exercises to help get her strength back.

Her dad suggested that she use her ankle weights (1lb each) and put them on each forearm and do exercises each day to keep her arm strength. Does that sound reasonable? She has some at the gym she could bring home. I have already tried to prepare her for the fact that she will have lost strength and maybe some skills, too, that she will have to work her way back to them slowly.

Sprains can be very tough to get over---sometimes worse than a fracture. Don't know that ice is really helpful at this point. You might want to try letting her soak her wrist/hand in warm water and gently wiggle her fingers. Keeps a little range of motion going and works some of the stiffness out. If she's no better in another 10 days then I would take her back to the doc for a recheck.

I would stay away from any work with weights on the arm that is affected for now. If she wants to do some simple exercises with her other arm, there would be no harm in that.

I would continue with the treatment you are doing. Do not panic about losing skills and strength. My dd had to be out of the gym completely due to a suspected heart condition (no exercise of any kind) until the doctor cleared her, and she didn't lose any skills. This was when she had just finished level 4.

MamaofEnS

Thanks everyone. We have been doing warm soaks with epsom salt in it and also she likes baths, so she gets some warm soaks in then as well. We have a great heat pack that she uses sometimes as well as it feels good. We only did ice the first 48 hours or so and then switched to heat.

I am not worried about her losing skills because I know even if she does, she will eventually get them back. She is worried a little, so I told her it is normal and she will get them back. I know her coaches will work her back into them and not just throw her into them. Love having her at a gym where I completely trust the coaches to keep her safe. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back