Parents How many L10 girls graduate from U.S. high schools every year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Whoa! That's a huge jump from 2011 numbers of 1700
USAG didn’t used to track levels as well, competition level wasn’t matched to registration level. This was before meet directors downloaded info from USAG, we just went by what rosters coaches sent us. Coaches could go in and renew an atheletes membearship without updating the level. That could be part of the discrepency If those numbers are USAG membership level numbers.

These statistics were posted in 2009.

F28FA4E4-736F-4F37-93ED-63BAA8A4BDE2.png

I pulled up all the Level 10 state meets in 2019 and plugged it into an excel program to count all the rows. I did a random check on accuracy and the total number of L10 gymnasts that competed and/or registered (inclusive of those who did not compete but names were listed or partially competed) is 1,935.

Not sure what the 2,900+ USAGA figure includes but it seems hard to believe that there is another 1,000 Level 10 gymnasts unaccounted for,

View attachment 7757
I pulled up all the Level 10 state meets in 2019 and plugged it into an excel program to count all the rows. I did a random check on accuracy and the total number of L10 gymnasts that competed and/or registered (inclusive of those who did not compete but names were listed or partially competed) is 1,935.

Not sure what the 2,900+ USAGA figure includes but it seems hard to believe that there is another 1,000 Level 10 gymnasts unaccounted for,
I did the same thing and got 2009 total for 2019 state meet competitors

View attachment 7757

This chart was done before the levels changed too and was only based on numbers submitted by the gyms, USAG did not have a system of keeping track of gymnasts registered by level in 2009

Oh no, I have Alaska. There are 3 Level 10s.

I counted my states and I have 51, including DC just because it was listed in mymeetscores. I know it is not a city nor a state. Did you use mymeetscores?

A few things that could cause state meet numbers to differ from USAG registered athlete numbers:

-did not compete at state meet and are petitioning to Regionals
-registered and paid for athlete membership as level 10's for the season but then retired from the sport
-registered and paid for athlete membership as level 10's for the season but dropped back to level 9 at some point before state meet
-resting injuries and not competing

So to try and net this out with respect to scholarships...

Somewhere more than 2,000 L10s, maybe as many as 2,900 but that includes the injured and recently retired, etc. Maybe a quarter graduate every year so 500 to 600 total to colleges including elites and out-of-country. Total Div1 scholarships around 180 every year (60x12/4 and I’m ignoring Div2/3 just because of unfamiliarity). So the overall odds of a scholarship at some school somewhere, ceteris paribus, maybe a third. Could be more, could be less.

While I don’t know how the scholarship process works, if a gymnast is in the top quartile graduating gymnasts that year chances should be pretty good. Top quintile even better. Top decile, very good.

It is interesting that the numbers in general gym are so low compared to the other gymsports. In Australia there are more gymnasts enrolled in GFA programs than all other gym sports combined. The general gym including recreational gymnasts, pre school gymnasts, team gym, free G, adult gymnastics, over 50’s gymnastics etc.

So to try and net this out with respect to scholarships...

Somewhere more than 2,000 L10s, maybe as many as 2,900 but that includes the injured and recently retired, etc. Maybe a quarter graduate every year so 500 to 600 total to colleges including elites and out-of-country. Total Div1 scholarships around 180 every year (60x12/4 and I’m ignoring Div2/3 just because of unfamiliarity). So the overall odds of a scholarship at some school somewhere, ceteris paribus, maybe a third. Could be more, could be less.

While I don’t know how the scholarship process works, if a gymnast is in the top quartile graduating gymnasts that year chances should be pretty good. Top quintile even better. Top decile, very good.

To be more accurate, there are only 56 teams with scholarships. Ivies are D1 with exception because they don’t offer scholarships.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back