how many meals a day?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

littlegiant

How many meals do you or your gymnast eat in a day? 3 meals, 6 smaller meals etc? I've heard different things about eating more small meals instead of three regular meals but I don't know what's best for gymnasts:confused:

My dd, and myself included, have always been grazers. We eat small amounts but all day long--so probably closer to 6 smaller meals as opposed to 3 regular meals. It really depends on the gymnast and their appetite. I always just listen to my body and eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. My kids pretty much eat the same way. It is also very important to make sure they are eating healthy foods but let them have the option of a treat once in a while. If there was a fresh fruit platter and a veggie tray out along with cookies or sweets, my kids would automatically go for the fresh fruit and veggies first, then maybe have a cookie later. That is just the way that they grew up.

well on school days i have:
-breakfast in the morning
- snack at 10:15 (muffin, or granola bar...)
-lunch at 12
-small snack on the bus sometimes (3:00)
- rather large snack when i get home 4:00
- Dinner at 5:00
- and another rather large snack when i get home from gym at 9:30

So 3 regular meals and 4 snacks in between...

For me, breakfast, lunch and dinner with a snack in between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. But everyone is different, so just listen to your body!!

Ideally it should be 6 small meals or 3 meals with some healthy snacks in between. Thats in a perfect world. On school days with gym, breakfast around 7, lunch at 12:45(yup she drew the late lunch this year), snack on way to gym and then finishes it up sometime during practice and dinner about 8. She can bring a small non messy snack to school to eat around 10 or so, but often forgets it.

During the summer she does better although usually eats a smaller breakfast.

I tend to eat around 3 meals and 1-2 snacks a day. Breakfest before school, lunch, then I coach for a few hours and have a snack on the way to practice. And I eat dinner after practice.

If I have morning practices I have a lot more little meals. I'll have a small snack (yogurt and juice) before practice, then another snack after practice before school, then a small lunch, another snack before second practice, and then usually a larger dinner. Sounds like a lot but this is from around 5am-8pm.

When I was in Gym I usually had around 2 or 3 big meals, then fix little snacks thorughout the day, or "Mini Meals", like Cambell's Soup at hand or whatever.

I could NEVER eat before practice, I would get extremely nauseated.

Now that I'm out of gym, I eat a lot less, though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back