How many meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just wondering how many competitions you have in a year?

DD has only 2 or 3, the third one being a qualifier for another one after that, and then that one being a qualifier for state championships.
So minimum 2 or 3, potentially 4 or 5.

Last edited:
Similarly to Aussiemum, we have a qualifying system here. We have 3 qualifiers, at which you must attain a qualifying score. Not once, as I've heard in some places, but rather, 2 of your scores when averaged together must meet or exceed the qualifying score.

If you qualify, you compete at Ontario cup. If you're in the top 24 there, you get to compete at Provincial Championships.

The top 4 athletes from Ontario Cup go on to compete at Eastern Canadian Championships.

So, at our gym, which doesn't usually compete anu invitational meets, we either have 3, 4, 5, or 6 meets!

Oh! We also have one special *away* meet in Arizona.

Interesting topic!

At DD's level, they take the top 15 or so from meet #3 to meet #4, then the top 6-8 from that one to state championships.

I think at higher levels, they set a qualifying score, but at DD's level, it's just the top place getters.

Both my girls will do 3 qualifiers.

In the school league the top four on each apparatus will go on to provincials and a new thing started last year is a regional challenge where the top 3 AA and top 3 on each apparatus go on to a large meet.

In the civil league the top 48 in the age group will go on to a provincial qualifier and the top 32 will go on to Quebec Championships, a very big meet and a very big deal. AT higher levels they can go on to Easterns and Canadians.

In both leagues girls are divided by age Argo 9-10, Tyro 11-12, Novice 13-14 and senior 15-18. The groups tend to be very large so very few girls get to provincials as it is not score based.

I know in our region there are usually 75 Tyro P2, about L5/6, only about 10 of them move on to try to qualify for provincials.

We are in Canada, but not all provinices use the same system.

my DD will have 6 compulsory meets this fall ( first one is tomorrow- I am supposed to be packing!) and one more if she qualifies for States. USAG requires a 31AA, DD's coach requires a 33AA.

Our gym also competes Prep-Op in the Jan-April season. I have not seen that schedule. Ian assuming 4-5 meets and States, if they qualify.

Beth's a level 8--so there aren't just qualifying meets--any sanctioned meet can qualify you for State. But this year we have fewer meets--just 5 meets, plus State.
Our Compulsories actually have more meets--8 (including State) as they have fall and spring listed. I think Spring is only for some girls (typically they do fall or spring season, but not both--some do a spring season of the next level, if they are trying to move them up faster--it's all new to me as our gym didn't do spring season for Compulsories when either Sami or Beth was at that level!).

Oh--for levels 5 & 6, there are 3 qualifying meets. If you get a qualifying score at one of those meets (I think it's 32AA right now--not positive!), then you go to the State meet in December. Level 4 State is more of a fun meet now--you don't have to qualify for it (that's different than when Beth did level 4--she had to qualify for it, but they wanted to make it less stressful at that level).

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, I just counted and at this point we are going to 8 meets, not including sectionals and states! :eek: We have no meets scheduled for March yet but I'm sure they'll add one or two! Olivia is a level 6 and I believe they need a 31 to qualify to sectionals. I think it's a 32 they need to get to states. Well, at least she'll have lots of opportunities to qualify! :)

OMG, I just counted and at this point we are going to 8 meets, not including sectionals and states! :eek: We have no meets scheduled for March yet but I'm sure they'll add one or two! Olivia is a level 6 and I believe they need a 31 to qualify to sectionals. I think it's a 32 they need to get to states. Well, at least she'll have lots of opportunities to qualify! :)

ACK!!! You are a very strong woman!!! I love gym meets, but I'd go crazy with that many:D

Our gym meet schedule is the same as CGM's except no special meet in Arizona :(

Our gym meet schedule is the same as CGM's except no special meet in Arizona :(

I'll make you a deal....you pay for Bean, and we'll let you come:D

Kidding aside, she's been saving since last March, has a birthday next month and Christmas around the corner. She'll be in fine form to cover her expenses. I, on the other hand, haven't, and won't be going:(

I'm excited that she has this opportunity, but sure wish it was an every other year arrangement. I didn't win any *cool mom* awards last year when I couldn't afford to send her:rolleyes:

Good luck at the Qualifiers!

Last edited:
Our Optionals have 7 meets. If they qualify for state (MN Requires a 35.0 for L7, 33.5 for L8 and a 32 for L9's and 10) that makes 8. Region 4 Championship would make 9! That is what Beetle is working for this year!

My DD has 13 meets scheduled this season. She is L4 so they do both sanctioned and unsanctioned meets. At least we will get our moneys worth out of the competition leo and warm ups! lol. Just hope she doesnt grow any between now and March!! It is already a little bit snug as they used the same ones last season!! Our first meet is Oct 4th.

We have between 5 to 7, most (if not all) are sanctioned. The optionals progressively do less due to the shorter season.

we have about 2-3 per month from like october to march so 12-18ish

well it all depends on her level. in my gym really no matter what level you did about 4-5 comps with qualifiers for an invitational and states (not included) as you progressed you did more comps. like in level 8 i had one almost every other weekend

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back