How might chalk, fans, impact COVID spread?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
I've been reading some of the latest research about how COVID can be spread through air conditioning. I've read that "good air circulation" is a good thing when it comes to reducing the spread of COVID, so I think the air conditioning problem comes from when the air is recirculated and ventilation is poor. I've also read that the virus can live on particles in the air, and how some studies show that it spreads more in high pollution areas, suggesting that the virus travels via the gunk in the air. So it go me thinking about how all of these data points might impact gymnastics gyms. Should they blow the big fans, or leave them off? Is the chalk dust going to be a problem? I tried googling the topic and came up short, other than this article: https://www.gymclimber.com/can-liqu...ers-from-coronavirus-as-gyms-begin-to-reopen/ Does anyone have any thoughts, knowledge or experience with this topic?

p.s. Here's one article I found about covid and pollution, though the source is a dust control company so could be biased... https://www.lami-systems.com/information/health/coronavirus-airborne/

My daughter uses liquid chalk for some activities. Leaving aside the question of whether regular chalk dust could pose a problem, she thinks there is another way liquid chalk could be helpful.

As chalk, it is very effective. But it also feels gross on your hands, and it is very smelly. She says she is much less likely to accidentally touch her face, or even bring her hands anywhere near her face while she is wearing liquid chalk. And she cannot wait to wash her hands at the end of the activity.

@JessSyd that is really interesting! Will she be using it more when she goes back?
She uses it for climbing and hasn’t tried it in the gym.

The girls have been told to take their own chalk in when gym goes back, but she has a ball of regular dusty chalk that she will probably take. I think we both wonder if the liquid chalk would be a bit too ’grippy’ for gym use. And how the alcohol in it might affect her grips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back