WAG (How much) could I learn?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey all, I'm asking to I think settle some dreams I've never let go of. Gymnastics was my first love and something I wanted to start since I was 4, but my family didn't have a means for me to try it out . I took recreational classes around age 7-8, but stepped back maybe 2 years later as I felt frustrated that I couldn't progress at all within the class. I still so regret that I wasn't able to start at a younger age and that age matters so much (understandably). I did do Xcel much later (maybe around 13) and stopped at 15 or 16.

I'm currently 18, away at college, and still find myself missing gymnastics a lot. I have the opportunity to work out for fun at a gym near campus, and part of me still clings onto hope that I could learn some skills I always imagined doing. I'm wondering that at my current age, and with the background I have, what could I feasibly expect to learn, if anything (if a coach were able to help)? I don't think my talent ever matched my passion and however hard I thought I worked: I last competed Xcel Gold. Some of the skills I last had: kip, long hang kip, cast handstand, flyaway (bars), cartwheel, front tuck dismount (beam), fhs (vault), round off bhs, punch front (floor), was working fhs front tuck.

I haven't done a bhs in ages, could I potentially get that back at least? Bars was my favorite--do I have my hopes up to high to wish I could learn a clear hip circle or giants (if I were able to use a strap bar)?

thanks so much :))

You can learn as much as you want. Adult gymnastics is very big around here, these adults take up the sport, often with no background and they progress significantly faster than the kids.

As ad adult you can take on corrections with greater understanding more easily.

I am not a coach, but do believe if you put in the time and consistent effort, you can learn back the skills you learned and more. 18 is still very young. My husband started training hard in rock climbing at 35. He is now 40 and climbs harder then most in the gym. But he has worked REALLY hard at it. Consistently is KEY. Imagine what you can do at 18!? Just believe in yourself and go for it! Let us know how it goes

I am a 30 year coach who stopped at 17. At 27, I was diagnosed with cancer and went through intense chemo. It totally wrecked my body. Everything hurt, and I was super uncoordinated. At 28, I was in remission and ready to start exercising again. I got tired walking for 20 minutes, or rowing 500 meters, but I very gradually built myself up again. I actually used the quarantine days to my advantage in this. At 29, I decided I wanted to try gymnastics again. I actually made my kip the first day I tried it, and worked my way into clear hips and giants again. I even did my front walkover front handspring on beam again!

All of that to say, you can totally do it!

I’m 39 and I do adult gymnastics with absolutely no experience whatsoever- just a lot of courage and a hell of a lot of trust in our coach who seems to have more faith in us oldies than we do ourselves! It is honestly the most fun I have ever had exercising ever.

18 is so so young still- please don’t write yourself off- find an adult gym class and go for it. I find it fascinating seeing the ex gymnasts in our class who haven’t done gym for 15-20 years finding their skills again- muscle memory is an amazing thing.

You can absolutely learn a lot. I did a bit a rec as a kid, came back to it as an adult, and got a wide range of skills, enough to compete level 6 NAIGC. I know people who've learned to flip their vault or do a double back off bars in their 30s and 40s. It takes work and efficient use of your gym time--you'll probably be in charge of organizing a lot more of your training now, and getting consistent coaching through adult classes can be a challenge. But progress doesn't stop at 18.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back