Coaches How much maternity leave?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In general my gym is in need of coaches, but for my group of level 4-5s, there are 2 coaches for 9 kids. I'm due June 9, and am wondering what the smallest amount of maternity leave I could realistically take is? When I talked with my boss in February I told her I'd take 6 weeks but she said that I might not get to work with my group when I got back. If I took just 4 weeks (which would really only be 3 because of 1 week overlap that the gym is closed), I feel like she'd understand my commitment to that group. But would i physically be able to spot like id need to? I am the better coach, but the other coach has been there longer.

If you have a straightforward birth you should be able to be back spotting in three weeks. If there are complications, such as a c-section, then your recovery could be six weeks or more.

Though you will need good child care and a great breast pump (if you intend to nurse), going back to work at 3 weeks will be very tiring without good support at home and in the gym.

Not long to go now, you must be very excited.

I started coaching again a couple of weeks after having my first child. Coaching isn't my full time profession so I didn't view it as a return to work - it was a nice little break. At the time I lived minutes from the gym and would go for a couple of hours to coach my main events.

You may think you'll be "ready" after 3 or 4 weeks but plan on more...I think it's appalling that your boss would question your commitment to your group because you took an adequate, and necessary, maternity leave ....shame on her!

What is the legality of the situation? In Quebec mat leave is a year, paid at 85% of your salary. There is ever protection for part time workers who have been employed for more than 3 months. An employer cannot give your job away for giving birth or adopting a child.

Last edited:
The laws in the USA are horrible regarding maternity leave. FMLA offers protection of your position for 6-12 weeks, if I am recalling correctly. But FMLA is only applied to companies with 50+ employees... so, many gyms do not have to offer the leave. Also, there is absolutely no requirement to pay the employee for their leave. Some companies do, but that seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. At least in my area. Most people end up having to wait on short term disability, provided they qualify...

also, if you qualify to take FMLA leave, you have no rights to your original job. They can offer you an equivalent job at equivalent pay upon return, even if it is not the exact same position that you had before your leave began.

What is the legality of the situation? In Quebec mat leave is a year pain at 85% of your salary. There is ever protection for part time workers who have been employed for more than 3 months. An employer cannot give your job away for giving birth or adopting a child.

That's it. I'm moving to Canada! I don't care if it's cold! Not that I'm going to have any more children, but it's just the principal of the thing!

The laws in the USA are horrible regarding maternity leave. FMLA offers protection of your position for 6-12 weeks, if I am recalling correctly. But FMLA is only applied to companies with 50+ employees... so, many gyms do not have to offer the leave. Also, there is absolutely no requirement to pay the employee for their leave. Some companies do, but that seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. At least in my area. Most people end up having to wait on short term disability, provided they qualify...

also, if you qualify to take FMLA leave, you have no rights to your original job. They can offer you an equivalent job at equivalent pay upon return, even if it is not the exact same position that you had before your leave began.
That system is quite effective birth control for the working population!

Eeeek, after having my baby elephants I has trouble walking after 3 weeks leg alone going back to work. Our system is half way in between, I has statutary maternity pay from the government for 16 weeks with the right to return up to 12 months.

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I didn't think I was covered under FMLA because I'm not full time. But even if I was, I'm not at risk of losing a job at this gym, just at risk of losing the group of kids that I have come to know and love. I do understand my bosses perspective. She can't pay two coaches for only 9 kids, and perhaps one of us would be asked to switch groups even if I wasn't taking time off. But I feel she's taking the easy way out if she asks me to switch just because I've been gone for a few weeks. What makes it all a little easier is that I'll only be working 4 3 hour days and will be bringing the baby with me (to be watched in our viewing area), with a couple opportunities to visit/nurse. Just wish it wasn't so up in the air. It would be better to know now if I'm not going to get to stay with my group. Then I'd take 6 weeks for sure!

And yes, I am getting very excited, and ready. Spotting is hard enough right now as it is!

And yes, I am getting very excited, and ready. Spotting is hard enough right now as it is!

My wife complained the last two months, of each pregnancy, that her arms kept getting a little shorter each week. ;)

I think this post has been blown out of proportion. The original poster never said her boss questioned her commitment so it shouldn't be shame on the owner. When she comes back she'll still have a job just maybe not with her preferred group, but still coaching team. There is still a small business to run and girls to coach.

In general my gym is in need of coaches, but for my group of level 4-5s, there are 2 coaches for 9 kids. I'm due June 9, and am wondering what the smallest amount of maternity leave I could realistically take is? When I talked with my boss in February I told her I'd take 6 weeks but she said that I might not get to work with my group when I got back. If I took just 4 weeks (which would really only be 3 because of 1 week overlap that the gym is closed), I feel like she'd understand my commitment to that group. But would i physically be able to spot like id need to? I am the better coach, but the other coach has been there longer.

I think this post has been blown out of proportion. The original poster never said her boss questioned her commitment so it shouldn't be shame on the owner. When she comes back she'll still have a job just maybe not with her preferred group, but still coaching team. There is still a small business to run and girls to coach.

The fact that the OP has to "feel like she'd understand my commitment to the group" by shortening her maternity leave to 4 weeks (!!!) is exactly part of the reason that it is shame on the owner....

I realize that it is a business to run and girls to coach but it sounded like the gym was short on coaches before this came up so that should have been addressed already...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back