WAG How much time is spent on conditioning each practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lynn

Proud Parent
Let me first apologize if this topic has been beat into the ground. I did many searches before asking the question.

I'm trying to see what the avg amount of a 4 hour practice 5 days a week is spent only on conditioning.

How many coaches spend the same amount of conditioning each practice. Or do you only condition on certain days.

I ask because I've talked to some parents from outside our gym and they think although we are a gym known to be competitive, our gymnasts are " behind " most because we focus too much on conditioning. I don't see it that way. I see strong girls who do well at meets.

I realize it's kind of a nonissue type question...just curious.

We do several 15min sessions per practice and the last 30min is all conditioning. The last 2 minutes is spent doing spits.

It's hard to say what we do. It also depends on the time of year/season.

At our club, Development through to British level 5 do 3, 3 hour practices a week. 10 min warm up, 5 30 min apparatus workouts, 15 min stretch.
Level 4 and above do an extra 4 hour session where an hour is spent on general conditioning at the end of the session.

In non competition season approx half of each apparatus workout is specific skill conditioning. We also have a 5th piece which is different each session. Dance, range and conditioning, specific skill development, basics, or general conditioning. Sometimes a coach will opt to reduce the specific conditioning on the apparatus workouts in favour of more repetitions of a skill.

In the build up to a competition we focus on routines with minimal conditioning.

During the summer we do a lot more conditioning then during the competion season. The last 30 minutes is always conditioning that changes every two weeks. There is always conditioning at the beginning as well but it varies as to how long. I would say on average about 45 min.

Well for the remainder of May, the entire 3-1/2 hour practice is conditioning. 4 practices per week. Usually it's they first hour and the last 30 minutes.

As a coach, I try to plan for 25% of my workout to be conditioning. So when we have four hour practices, an hour of that is conditioning - either all at one time or with several conditioning stations on an event. I can't really see how a gymnast could be "too strong" - the stronger they are, the easier skills come!

In a 2 1/2 hour practice about 45 min is spent on only conditioning, then for each rotation there is conditioning worked in. We have a few girls who are really strong, and some who are not so much. The coaches don't tend to call out girls for cheating unless its in the strictly conditioning chunk at the end, so the stuff on rotations, I think lots of girls don't try all that hard.

3 hour practices here. Normal warm up in beginning. I know sometimes they have strength stations at Bars. I think the last 30 minutes or so of practice is just conditioning. They also have a 30 minute abs conditioning every Friday towards the beginning of practice. I think this is all correct, anyway. :)

My youngest dd does 2 sessions of 2 1/2 hours a week and they do warm ups and conditioning for at least 30 mins and then they do conditioning in between apparatus such as after beam or bars they would do come conditioning and have now started to use hand weights and they always finish the session doing splits and bridges, so I guess the average total if you add up at the bits throughout the session (including warm ups) is around 1 1/2 hours, they only go on two pieces of apparatus per session and have around 20 mins floor time per session.

Session 1 - usual warm up and conditioning, beam and bars with conditioning in between and floor and stretching at the end.

Session 2 - usual warm up and conditioning, vault and bars with conditioning in between and floor and stretching at the end.

Right now dd's team is focusing on strength building and up training. They have been doing A LOT of conditioning! She has practice from 9-1 today, they started with rope climbs and handstand holds, then started more cardio stuff. When I dropped some things off at the gym around 10:15, they were moving on to arms. Not every practice is like this, but today, I'll assume 1 1/2 - 2 hours will be conditioning and flexibility.

It varies depending on the time of the year, but pretty typically (L3 with 3 hour practices) they do 30 minutes warm up and conditioning and then more on to each apparatus. They do additional conditioning on each apparatus -- for example on bars they do chin ups, pull ups, captain hooks, leg lefts, various kinds of hangs, etc. They usually hit 3 events each practice and finish with 15-30 minutes of conditioning.

On average, in my DD's 4-hour practice, 45-90 minutes pure conditioning (plyo, cardio, V-ups, circuit, rope, etc.), plus whatever is worked into stations at each apparatus (usually something, like with those stretchy bands at a bar station or a handstand walk station on floor rotation). One day a week is heavy conditioning (at least 2 hours of 4). This is levels 3-5. Can't comment on the optionals.

I kinda wish they would spend more time on flexibility sometimes, as it seems this is an area of struggle for a good number of girls, including my DD. But I guess strength is good! Our gym does tend to favor the powerhouse girls in terms of selection (JO) if I had to guess.

45 minutes or more per practice.

30 to 45 minutes minimum every practice. More in the summer, and sometimes conditioning worked into bar drills, vault drills, etc.

Good afternoon. It varies thru the year. Mostly 45 minutes is scheduled.

Our team warm-ups are being led by staff as I type. On todays planner is basic conditioning, UB's conditioning, rope, resistance training, shape conditioning, HS work (holds, press, 1/1 , etc.), and lower body workout. That is scheduled for 45 minutes. The gymnasts should be sweaty, even in our air conditioned gym. We have a Plio workout every Th. so that will add another 10 minutes. BB has many lower leg stations the next weeks before our summer workouts.

I hope I helped the discussion. Best, SGB -

I hope I am not hijacking this thread. If so, this question could be moved to a new one. Anyway, the word conditioning seems to be thrown our a lot. But what exactly is conditioning. The "warm up" routines I've seen at the ranch include a lot of exercises that may be deemed conditioning (ab exercises, push ups). Would you say, any exercise that builds strength is conditioning? Would you say the TOPS physical abilities test is considered conditioning? If not, what is?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back