WAG How often do you update your Competition Leos/Warmups?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CoachMeg

Coach
We've had our competition leos for 3 years and our warmups for 4. We just had about 20 new kids order everything for this upcoming season....however, we just got several complaints from long-time gym parents saying that they want new stuff next season, specifically warm-ups, because they think ours are ugly and out-dated (their words).

Our warm-ups are through GK, they're just the standard relaxed fit black pants and our jackets are just the standard zip-up with our gym colors and on the back we have our gym logo and on the front each kid has their name embroidered.

We've had a few moms say that our warm-ups are so plain and ugly and they "hate" the collar that folds down. They mentioned that other gyms have "cute sparkly" warm ups with rhinestones and they wear pullovers and cropped leggings.

With the leotards, they say they still like them, but they're just ready for something new.

Again, this is all coming from our long-time gym parents who have worn this set for the past 3-4 years. However, our newbies are just getting theirs within the month! Do we get new stuff even though we just had over 20 kids buy all-new leos/warmups this year?

How many years does your gym go in between new apparel?

Are there any complaints from the parents that just bought new stuff the year prior and have to buy all new stuff again the next year??

ALSO, since our warmups are so outdated lol, can you guys explain what your gym warm-ups look like? Some teams in my area don't even wear jackets anymore, they wear pullovers or jerseys. IMO, it looks kind of unprofessional and baggy, but who knows. Maybe that's the style now.

Our gym chooses new leos and warmups every 3 years. Leos and warmups are on different cycles so only new families have to buy everything all at once. Mid-cycle, the gym makes every effort to arrange size swaps and make used apparel available for new kids or kids who have outgrown their apparel.

The gym recently switched from old-style warmup suits with fold-down collars, flared pants, and lots of bling to simple jackets with the team name embroidered on them and a stand-up collar plus cropped leggings. We were just about the last team in our area to switch to the cropped leggings and sporty jackets, although some of other teams' sporty jackets are pretty blinged-out. Most of the parents and kids much prefer the new warmups because they are sportier, more comfortable, cheaper, and easier to wash. The cropped leggings are cute, but the girls are complaining that the GK brand leggings tend to stretch out at the waist and fall down. They will also be cold in winter, so my daughter is planning to wear non-gym-issued full-length pants over them outdoors.

Our girls universally despise the rhinestones on the arms of their leos. They cause discomfort in the armpit and elbow areas.

A pullover warmup top would cause a lot of hair issues.

P.S.: There is a gym in our area with warmup jackets from ivivva. My daughter is quite envious of those jackets.

I believe the gym orders new leos every 2 years. Not sure about warmups, but likely the same. Pre-team has a different leo than comp level.

Of course some parents complain if they have to buy new stuff. It's expensive and there's nothing wrong with last year's stuff, especially when your gymmie hasn't grown. I just wrote a check to the gym for $504 +tax for a new comp leo, hair bow, capris, team jacket, team t-shirt, sports bra, and underwear. Ouch. It's sticker shock for new parents, especially.

DD14 and her teammates warm up in the capris and t-shirt over their leo. The jacket (form fitting) is worn with the capris for awards.

This is her 4th year on the team (1 year pre-team/fun meets, 2 years Xcel) and this will be her 3rd jacket and 3rd leo. Sometimes her siblings will wear her old jacket to a meet to show support. Have to get some use out of it!

I am told at DD's gym keeps the leo as long as it can. The warm-up is a hot issue and in this dads opinion a hot mess. It is plain ugly. The warm-up is on a two-year cycle I would prefer simple fitted zipper jacket, something the girls could wear and enjoy when new warm-ups are ordered. The current jacket has like 5 ruffles and has been discontinued. Pants simple black leggings would be perfect. Not gym style from GK or other maker. The waist on those plain stinks, how do you warm up in something falling down.

Usually they get new leos every other year and new warmups every other year, and those years alternate. One time they kept they same Leo for 3 years.

The gym does not have any organized way for new families to get comp wear from kids who have outgrown theirs or moved on, which I think is unfortunate. But I suppose that is extra work for them with no benefit to them. I personally know kids who left the team after they paid for a new Leo and there was no easy way to find someone to sell it to.

This year is the year for the new warmup. They are Capri leggings and a "modern" jacket. Their old warm up was also Capri leggings and a modern jacket. The warmup before that was the older style jacket and pants. I agree that gk Capri leggings fall down due to waist issues!

We get new & expensive leos every year. Really wish that we could keep them for at least 2 years. We usually get new warm ups every 3-4 years. Our warm ups are GK. The jacket is a zip up with the gym name in crystals on the back. The pants are capri leggings and we haven't had any issues with them falling down.

Every 2 years new leo, warm up. and bags. There is a set price that has stayed pretty much the same for 6 years. The leos are the most expensive part. Our warm ups are cropped pants and a tunic-style sublimated jacket with the team name on the back. Its really cool. Everything this time is Ozone, but has been GK and Alpha Factor in the past. The new kids that start on the 2nd year of the cycle have to buy all new or they can buy used from a gymnast who quit or grew or graduated. It's not organized selling, its private and usually word of mouth or on the facebook parents group.

Warmups are a jacket in gym Color (neon orange) with the logo on the front in white. Parts are jogging pants but a bit more fitted, in between a legging and reall jogging pants.

Leo is a long sleeve Leo for everything except rec, they have short sleeves. HOWEVER we get Leo’s every 3 or 4 years. The old Leo’s go to the younger groups (11 and under is compulsory) and the older groups (11 and up, Depends on age a bit) wear the new one. Rec competition (the compulsory kids who don’t have Floor music because their level is too low) have their own line, and the optionals are allowed to wear the OLD rec Leo’s. A bit confusing

We have a night once year where you can sell and buy Leo’s. You can sell competition leotards or just training leos. You can also buy gym chlothes (sweater, bag ect.) or new leos. Our gym orders leos yearly, to not have that many costs. This night is for former and current gymnasts

We've had our competition leos for 3 years and our warmups for 4. We just had about 20 new kids order everything for this upcoming season....however, we just got several complaints from long-time gym parents saying that they want new stuff next season, specifically warm-ups, because they think ours are ugly and out-dated (their words).

Our warm-ups are through GK, they're just the standard relaxed fit black pants and our jackets are just the standard zip-up with our gym colors and on the back we have our gym logo and on the front each kid has their name embroidered.

We've had a few moms say that our warm-ups are so plain and ugly and they "hate" the collar that folds down. They mentioned that other gyms have "cute sparkly" warm ups with rhinestones and they wear pullovers and cropped leggings.

With the leotards, they say they still like them, but they're just ready for something new.

Again, this is all coming from our long-time gym parents who have worn this set for the past 3-4 years. However, our newbies are just getting theirs within the month! Do we get new stuff even though we just had over 20 kids buy all-new leos/warmups this year?

How many years does your gym go in between new apparel?

Are there any complaints from the parents that just bought new stuff the year prior and have to buy all new stuff again the next year??
Normal , someone always buys new warmup a just prior to the change.

Fairly industry standard to get new every 2-3 years. There will always be new team members who fall into the "just got mine" category. As others have mentioned you can rotate getting new leotard/warmup style so not buying both new at once.

Leotards usually 2-3 years - our warm ups we keep longer - we keep ours pretty basic - black with our gym name in rhinestones. Honestly, as far as the warm up goes the girls barely wear them - plus they like to show off their leotards. We keep the warm ups simpler and for a longer time and prefer to spend a little more on a nice leotard.

Not gym style from GK or other maker. The waist on those plain stinks, how do you warm up in something falling down.

So funny you said that -- we were just sized for new GK warm-ups including cropped leggings. My DD (age 9, size CM-CL leos) tried on the CXS capris leggings and the waist was still falling down! I ended up going with the CS (just to get the length) and will have to alter. Why on earth do they make the waist so big on their leggings?!?

In any event, to answer the original questions: We had to buy the "old" warm-ups last year because DD was new to the gym; and now we are buying again. No complaint from me. I understand that's part of the process.

So funny you said that -- we were just sized for new GK warm-ups including cropped leggings. My DD (age 9, size CM-CL leos) tried on the CXS capris leggings and the waist was still falling down! I ended up going with the CS (just to get the length) and will have to alter. Why on earth do they make the waist so big on their leggings?!?

In any event, to answer the original questions: We had to buy the "old" warm-ups last year because DD was new to the gym; and now we are buying again. No complaint from me. I understand that's part of the process.

We have the same problem with the GK crop pants. I had to pin DDs up last year and they still fall down. I bought her a pair of Nike pro capris to replace them and they fit so much better.

Our gym gets new leos every 2 years, and new warm-ups every 3-4 years.

My kiddos gym just got new leos after having the same ones for 7 years!
They have rotated through a few different kinds of warm up pants, usually due to things no longer being made. Right now we have glalxy print pants.
They had zip up jackets, but switched to jerseys this season. I’m not a huge fan of the jerseys, I don’t think it looks as nice as jackets, and is a pain for my kiddo to take off without messing up her hair.
There were some parents who bought the ‘old’ leo last year brand new then had to buy the new one this year also. Some were annoyed but just rolled with it.

That's so strange. Our gym has GK's fitted warm up capris with the foldover waist and I didn't hear a single complaint from the girls about it last season. My own DD was in capris that were a size too large (we came to team late and inherited the uniform of someone who quit), and she normally wears slims in pants, and hers were still fine.

Our Xcel Bronze and Silver girls get the "pom pom shirts" (the oversized ones that are becoming popular) and the pants. Gold, Platinum and optionals get a warm up jacket with the standup collar and the same capris. I know leotards usually get replaced every 2 years, lower levels a tank leo, and upper levels a long sleeved custom one. We just ordered a new tank leo, but it's hideous and I'll be glad for DD to graduate to the long sleeved next year!

We usually change leos every three years. I'm glad we're going to have pockets in our warm-ups this time, as us coaches, also wear it in competitions. Girls will have leggings, and we'll have p pants made with the same material as the jacket.

Reactions: sce
We keep a leotard until it is discontinued... first one OG had was kept for 4 years, next 1 for 2 years, after that 3 years, and we are on the 2nd year of our new ones.
We had sweat pants and a hoodie the first year ($50 for hoodie, sweat pants, short sleeve tee and long sleeve tee).
The next year, we got warm ups that we kept for 3 years. After that, we got our current warm ups (but because of adult pant sizing issues, as of this year, they only order jackets and everyone just wears black stretchy pants of their choice).

New leos every two years. We find styles are discontinued that often anyways. Level 2s and 3s and Xcel Bronze and Silver wear a stock tank leo that is about $50. Level 4-10 and Xcel Gold + have a more expensive custom long-sleeve leo.

All our levels now have black GK capris at the girls' request. We'll use these for the foreseeable future (until they stop making them or until the girls riot because they aren't cool anymore). I think we are on year 3 right now.

Level 2-3 and all Xcel levels have a stock jacket from GTM with our gym name embroidered in the back. No sparkles. I think it's about $50. Level 4-10 have a GK jacket, slim fit, zip front, collar, some mystique fabric. It's more expensive. We keep jacket styles until they stop making them or until the girls riot because they aren't cool anymore. I think we've changed jackets every 7/8 years. This means they can be passed down.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back