How old were you when you first started Gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What age were you when you first started gymanstics?

• Total voters
An interesting question because not everyone started when they were young but are still really good :)
If you are leaving a comment .. also say what level you are in now.

I started when I was 13 and now I am 14 and level 4 state.

I started teaching myself seriously (practicing 1 to 2 hours a day with the help of library books) when I was 9. When I was 13/14, I got to take a gymnastics class once a week for about 3 months. When I was 16/17, I got to take a gymnastics class once a week for a year and a half at a dance place (no bars but I had my own in my basement, old vault). Then when I was 18 I finally was able to go to gymnastics as many days as I liked at a gym that had all current equipment and I competed on a level 5 team. The next year I competed Modified Optional (like level 6 but optional). Now I am competing level 7.

Well i started school gymnastics - not what i wanted from the sport i wanted to work hard and get more skills and get better but they taught u a round off and you were pretty much done learning so i stuck at that for 4 maybe 5 years and went to a competitive gym and went into level 1 but couldn't compete because of the crappy gym i went to before didn't teach bars so i sucked at them. A yr later they moved me up to level 2 still couldn't compete coz of skill level so just kept practicing. 6 months after moving up i went skiing (we go every year) and was skiing over to the presentations for a race i had just done however crashed into a tree and broke both bones in my arm and got knocked out spending a week in hospital. I then was about to go back to gym but the gym i was at closed down and the other local gym was having asbestos issues so was also closed down and the other gym was too far away i quit. I started to regret this decision at the beginning of 2009 and went to get assessed for what level i would be in and this ended in a torn ligament from landing wonky and judging by what they saw they said i would go into level 2. However, after full recovery i never thought to go back until 3 months later when i went into snr rec. and turns out that i was heaps better than them and they were all learning to cartwheel and i was learning to roundoff back handspring. So the coach suggested i go into state level 4 which i am doing great at and training level 6 tumbling passes and level 5 beam and vault but bars is lacking and traing level 4. So i will be competing level 4 this year. so now i am 15 competing state level 4

I started at 12 now I am 13 and I am happily prep op silver.

i did gym when i was about 5 or 6, but then stopped to do cheerleading. i did that for about 6 or 7 years and decided to take some tumbling classes from my gym. then my mom asked me if id want to start gymnastics to get my strength up so i could be a better cheerleader, and after the season was over i decided not to cheer anymore because i fell in love with gymnastics :) so i was 11 when i started competing (i started at level 3) and now i just turned 16 and im a level 8

I started at 3. then i switched to dance at 5. became part of pre-team at 7-8 years and started competing level 4 at 8-9 years. now i am a 14 year old level 7 gymnast.

I started when I was a few months old and did Mommy and Me classes. I LUV GYMNASTICS!!:p

I started at 4 years old, quit when I started school (I just wanted to play around on the trampoline, but I was being tracked into the talented and gifted group, which requires actual work ethic). Started again around 7 in recreational classes, took a year off at 9 because of a bad coach and I wanted to try ballet. I was in figure skating at the time which definitely gave me a boost in terms of work ethic and overcoming fear and flexibility. Went back into rec classes around 10/11...was not "spotted" by the team coaches: I had poor flexibility and no back handspring (not even on tramp). Worked my butt off for 2 hours/week until I FINALLY almost got my L4 skills and was moved to pre-team for 4 hours/week until I DID get them. Moved to team just before I turned 13, and competed L4 at 13 years old and L5 at 14 years old. Will compete L6 next year at 15 yrs, though almost definitely not L7 (as I said, I'm not considered to have the talen to skip levels, although I do quite well at each level). I'll compete L7 at 16/17 (my birthday is during the optional competition season), and then either L7 again or L8 at 17/18. So no college gymnastics for me...though maybe I'll be able to find adult classes somewhere. :(

Well, I technically started when I was 6, but at the same time, not really. I was in a gymnastics class when I was six, then was a cheerleader for a season, then did nothing until I was sixteen. So, I say I started gymnastics at sixteen and have been doing gymnastics for about a year and a half.

my level when i started

i started gymnastics when i was 8 did a year of 5 skipped level 6, prep op, and 7 and now im a level 8 gymnast and im 9 yrs old:rolleyes::):):D

i started trampolining at 4 doing it a sport centres but when i was 7 we moved and i count find any classes for two years, then a joined a class at another sports center but i became to high a level for the coach to teach me so i got a place at the local gym club at 12 thats when i started artistic gymnastics then when i was 13 i moved to a competative trampoliining club and now i love it more than ever

I started when I was almost 10, did a year of beginner classes and then skipped the pre-team and was a level 4 at 11 and level 5 at 12. I was going to skip level 6 but then I hurt my back and couldn't get my skills in time, so I did level 6 at 13. Now I'm 14 and in level 7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back