Parents How sick to scratch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Really

Proud Parent
I just wanted to ask wiser gym parents than I. How sick does your kid have to be for you to scratch a meet? I scratched DD from the first meet of 2017 because she had a persistent cough and stuffed up nose; I was worried that her vestibular system might be affected and I couldn't imagine her getting through a routine without a coughing fit, that's how bad her cough was (she refuses to take medicine of any sort and throws up when she's forced. :() She had a fever over 102 on Wednesday and Thursday, but no fever on Friday and this morning. Just the bad cough and congestion. Of course, like most things with parenthood, I'm second-guessing myself. Was I being too over-protective? Should I have sent her to compete? WWYD?

That would have been a tough call for me, but I'm thinking it's good she scratched. It's always easier to make that call when it's not your kid, though!

My rule is: no activities with fever, vomiting, or other belly issues, and it's usually a no go with any 'diagnosed' illness before recovery. Generally, if they're sick enough to be seen, they're sick enough to miss.

With still coughing/congestion, sounds like you made a good call. My DD hates to practice when she's getting over a cold, even when it's to the "occasional runny nose" stage. She feels like she's constantly running to grab a tissue.

I would have scratched mine for sure. Just think of the risk of injury if her body is "off kilter."
That's scary stuff.
And after a fever, your body is weakened, which also is risky.
Good call Mom!

Congestion means at a minimum, no beam.
Depending on level, cough with the congestion may mean scratching whole meet.
Compulsories... Scratch.
Optionals... Level 6 or Xcel Bronze, Silver, or Gold - leave it up to the gymnast... Especially if they have back pocket skills they can switch out for safety.
Level 7-10 or Xcel Platinum or Diamond - scratch.
You would be surprised how long a coughing fit can be supressed when adrenaline kicks in :)

You did the right thing. She could have definitely had her equilibrium off in beam, and perhaps the other events as well. The running for tumbling/vault could have triggered a coughing fit. Also, meets during this time of year are already a breeding ground for germs. Best to stay at home if there is even the smallest chance she is still contagious. Also, while her immune system is down and fighting this virus, it's very possible she would be more susceptible to other kid's germs as well and catch something else too.

For a cough or mild cold/congestion, i would let mine compete without question. DD deals with a mystery seasonal cough (believe me, we have seen every expert made available to us and tried everything short of acupuncture or lung transplant...). She has coughed her way through pretty much all her meets, her whole "career". Yes, it sounds bad but she's fine.
High fever, severe stomach bug, anything like that I would have not let her compete with.

Err on the side of caution. There will always be another meet. You know your kid. If she seems too sick to compete, she probably is. I remember one meet my dd warmed up and ran off the floor to throw up. I had her sit out. (It was our home meet and we were waiting for my dh to come and pick us up) she told me, I think I feel better and can compete the last rotations. I told her, umm...No...you can't. You are sick. Kids are funny, lol.

if i thought there was a chance she would be ok and if she really wanted to compete, i might have let her go and warm up and then make the decision based on warm ups felt.
This and it would depend on the level. I would be more likely to let her compete at the lower levels with less difficult flippy things. And actually have.

For a cough or mild cold/congestion, i would let mine compete without question. DD deals with a mystery seasonal cough (believe me, we have seen every expert made available to us and tried everything short of acupuncture or lung transplant...). She has coughed her way through pretty much all her meets, her whole "career". Yes, it sounds bad but she's fine.
High fever, severe stomach bug, anything like that I would have not let her compete with.

Yes, there's this. My kids have allergies and RAD (reactive airway disease), so sometimes it's hard to make the call. My DD in particular is at least a bit congested a lot of the time.... fall/winter/spring.

Thank you everyone! DD is only Level 3, which is why I thought I should just make her compete. But normally when she's in good health, she's tumbling all around the house. And for the last two days, she's just been laying on the couch. :( Anyway, she already has 3 solid meets under her belt for this level, so it was probably OK that we just scratched this one. I just wanted some input from you been-there, done-that parents because I'm sure this will happen again in the future!

Just getting over a 2 day fever and lethargy, still coughing more than a little - definite scratch for me. You made the right call. Her body is still recovering from the virus.

If just a cold (no fever), especially in winter when colds are so common, I would probably let her compete. Chances are there are 100 other people there with a similar cold.

And (TMI don't read if grossed out....)... if anything is coming out 'green' :eek:, then that's probably bacterial and she's going to get the whole team sick, so I would definitely not compete her even if she was feeling not too terrible.

Those are my guidelines anyway :)

My DD had to miss a meet in compulsories because she had influenza. High fever, coughing, congestion, body aches, nausea...it was awful. She was devastated missing the meet but there is no way she would have been safe. On the other hand, one of her teammates woke up on the day of State meet last year when they were in L8 (much higher stakes here!) and the girl (age 13) decided to take some ibuprofen and power through. She did great considering that she was sick...but she was definitely not up to her normal standard.

I guess my answer is much like the other answers: lower level meet, stay home. Optional meet, State meet, whatever...might be a different answer.

If it is just cough and congestion, I leave it up to her to decide. But I make sure she takes meds that will help. Fever, dizziness, nausea, vertigo, headaches, ear infections, possibility of flu (which will easily spread to other teams) are all an absolute scratch. I think you made the right call. Especially as a L3 first meet of the season. State meet might be a little different.

Thank you everyone! DD is only Level 3, which is why I thought I should just make her compete. But normally when she's in good health, she's tumbling all around the house. And for the last two days, she's just been laying on the couch. :( Anyway, she already has 3 solid meets under her belt for this level, so it was probably OK that we just scratched this one. I just wanted some input from you been-there, done-that parents because I'm sure this will happen again in the future!

at level 3 with some meets already competed, a good call. especially if she was just laying about and that's unusual for her.

I guess my answer is much like the other answers: lower level meet, stay home. Optional meet, State meet, whatever...might be a different answer.
I feel like it is the opposite honestly....what is done at optionals is heinous enough if they are healthy....can't imagine trying to pull of a bhs blo on beam after a fever for ex....:eek:

My dd recently had to scratch a L9 meet due to illness. The skills they do at that level are dangerous on their best day. No way in heck would I want her attempting to do them with a fever suppressed by medication. I have a friend who's child competed sick last year and crashed off bars. Next time you're sick, imagine yourself spinning around the bars building up speed to do a dismount. It's not a good combo. Anyway, the end result was a broken bone and being out for the season. It's really not worth it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back