WAG How to build arm and shoulder strength

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hsgymnast333

Gymnast
Hi. So I’m a high school gymnast and right now (since it’s the fall) is off-season. We compete in the winter and there’s summer gymnastics. Which means I’m not in the gym from August through October.
I’ve been conditioning at home, but I haven’t been as consistent with it as I should be. I mainly want to build arm and shoulder strength. Naturally, I’m really weak. Really weak. Little to no strength. At least compared to all of the other gymnasts.
I’m pretty much the only one who can’t do a pull up. Not even a chin up. I have enough arm strength for a pullover, but that’s about it.
Whenever I try to find ways to build more arm and shoulder strength, none of them really seem to work. Basically, I’m wondering if anyone has any idea of a conditioning plan or just different exercises I could do to build more strength. Not just arm strength either, shoulder strength, too.
It’s not just about not being able to do a pull up. I can’t do a front handspring on vault, and I’m never going to be able to get my kip with this level of strength. Plus tumbling in general. Thanks if you read this whole thing, sorry that it’s messy. I’m just really desperate.

Don’t use weights. You want to build fast muscle not bulk muscle. Use elastics, push ups multiple ways so that you work all of your muscles and whenever you work one side lie biceps you must also work triceps. At the same time stretching. Shoulder flexibility is so important when gaining muscle. So you don’t become tight. Use your own body weight. Dips and handstand push-ups against a wall. It’s not going to come quickly it takes a long time. Start with low reps and work them up each week you will notice a difference. If you can’t do pull ups then start half the pull up by holding your chin above a bar and slowly lower yourself down first.

If you can’t do pull ups then start half the pull up by holding your chin above a bar and slowly lower yourself down first.
I agree with everything Cmumgym said. Another way to work on pull-ups is to rest your feet on a block (at home this can be a chair or footstool) and while keeping your legs straight and your heels on the edge of the block, do different sets of pull-ups. Tricep dips, normal pushups, and triangle pushups (stick your arms by your shoulders, your butt in the air, and touch your head to the ground) are also good workouts for home.

Simple activities like climbing trees/playgrounds are also enjoyable ways to build arm strength. If you don't own a pull-up bar, try a tree branch or monkey bars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back