Parents How to deal with a child thats gotten too big for their boots?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymikat

Coach
Gymnast
Hi, this is my first time posting, but I've been a long time reader of chalk bucket and have found so much valuable information that has really helped my coaching. I'm 19 and I coach most days at the gym. I'm in charge of our juniors but I also help out a lot with our seniors.

My little sister is 8 and I'm her main coach. Last year was her first year competing after only starting a few months earlier and she worked really hard. She won all of her competitions and by the end of the year she was winning most events as well. She also won a trophy for the best junior in our region and was awarded another trophy for being the best junior in our club. Unfortunately this has led to her becoming lazy and thinking that shes going to be able to do the same this year. The head coach really wants all of our gymnasts to practice at home since they only get 4 hours a week and an optional 2 hour class with the seniors, and she puts pressure on me to make sure my sister is doing her work at home.

The level that shes in at the moment is too easy for her so she only wants to practice higher level skills. The head coach is either going to move her up a level after her first 2 competitions or jump her a level at the next competitive season.

I'm really concerned that even though she hasn't worked hard she'll still be able to do really well and so she won't have the natural consequence of not doing well therefore should I make her do the work so she can move up into the appropriate level or should I just let it be and hope she learns?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you to everyone who read this.

it always evens out in the end.....just prepare her for not coming in 1st, and stress that its about beating your OWN last score....
Until then, enjoy her successes! she sounds super talented!

I would separate coach from sister. It's not your job to make her condition at home. Push her in the gym as you would any student. Let he do her thing and see the results.

This!!! Just like a teacher who has a child in their class, you must separate roles. Shame on your HC for putting you in the position to be a 24/7 coach. Your sister is bound to feel resentful if you take on the role of coach/mom (in telling her what to do) at home as well as the gym. In addition, she will learn much more quickly the consequences of slacking off if she experiences them first-hand, not just is told what might happen. It will catch up with her eventually but it has to be her choice whether to do this or not -- forcing it will most likely hasten burn-out or cause her to leave the sport entirely.

I wouldn't worry, it will all catch up with her at some stage. Her natural talent will only take her so far and then she will realise that she has to work hard to get further.

A big thank you to all of you! You helped to give me that final push to doing the right thing. I sat down with her and told her I would no longer be her coach at home and she if she practices she will get the rewards and if she doesn't the consequences. Her competition is in a week so I'm looking forward to seeing if she decides to work or not and how she will deal with the outcome of her decisions. Once again a big thank you, your advice was most appreciated :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back