WAG How to deal with CGM

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well I’m not coach. So I just stay away from them.
And when I can’t I drink (just kidding)

As a parent, I ignore them. As a coach, you need to lay down ground rules, and nip it in the bud IMO. As I was reading your other post, I kept thinking “there is NO WAY our gym would tolerate that! NO WAY!” We don’t have a team handbook like some gyms, but every year, the owner and HC has a meeting and goes over expected behavior with parents, including at meets.

As a parent, I ignore them. As a coach, you need to lay down ground rules, and nip it in the bud IMO. As I was reading your other post, I kept thinking “there is NO WAY our gym would tolerate that! NO WAY!” We don’t have a team handbook like some gyms, but every year, the owner and HC has a meeting and goes over expected behavior with parents, including at meets.

We do have a team handbook, and our team manager has been known to send out e-mails reminding all parents of the expectations for behavior on the rare instances when there has been an issue.

Ignore them, walk away, find other non crazy people to talk to (spoken as a gym mom to 3 for 10 years now).

As a coach, you probably do need to have a conversation. It depends on the particular variety of crazy. Some parents need to be reminded gently that they are paying good money to you to be the coach, and what you need most from them is support for their child, not more coaching. If the parent is interfering with practice, set boundaries. And if the parent is creating a poisonous atmosphere in the gym by talking down coaches and other kids, you need to nip that in the bud immediately, as it can be very destructive.

We have a kind of contract thing that the parents have to sign as soon as the daughter/son is enrolled, with the paperwork.
It states that the parents can and will be kicked out by breaching the rules.
This

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back