Parents How to get in at WOGA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sticks

Proud Parent
Hello, my DD is 8years old she just finished competing level 3 and started on level 4 skills, she also has a few level 5 skills.
We did a tryout at WOGA Plano, she did great she was keeping up with the other girls but we got an email a week and a half later to tell us that she didn't make it to team. The reason was because even though she is on level, she doesn't have higher skills.
They told us to work harder and when she gets higher skills she could go back and try again.
We were very disappointed because at the place were she is right now the do not let them try harder skills, how is she suppose to learn higher skills if the don't let them?
She really wants to go to WOGA, she want's to do College Gymnastics.
We are afraid that the older she gets the least chances she has to change gyms!
Any suggestions?
Thanks

You just said she has some level 4 & 5 skills. It sounds like she's able to try upper-level skills.

I don't know much about WOGA, as I am not in that region, however, I'm sure they are very popular and can afford to be picky about their team.

Your DD does not need to be at WOGA to have a shot at college gym. There are plenty of quality programs out there.

I have a friend whose DD went to the Karolyi camp and then her DD moved to WOGA; but she was already the level 4 her part of the state champ (can't remember if it was old or new 4). I agree with the previous poster though, WOGA is certainly not necessary for college gymnastics.

She does has some upper level skills, but the gym that we are right now don't have Elites, they have never sent anyone to college.
I contacted Texas Dreams as well, but they are kinda far and very $$$

I have a friend whose DD went to the Karolyi camp and then her DD moved to WOGA; but she was already the level 4 her part of the state champ (can't remember if it was old or new 4). I agree with the previous poster though, WOGA is certainly not necessary for college gymnastics.
That's nice to hear, she will be going to OU gymnastics camp this summer, maybe that will help on a shot to WOGA

So many other great gyms in your area. WOGA is great, but it is not the right fit for every gymnast.

Pinning all her college hopes on getting in to WOGA is really sad, because she will always feel as though she wasn't good enough.

Maybe you can steer her on to other gyms that have had girls recruited to colleges.

Please don't take this wrong....but I doubt all the college gymnasts out there went to WOGA.;)
My daughter, an average optional gymnast of age 8, does not go to WOGA. And while 8 year olds plans can change, she has every intention of competing at some level in college.

I have a friend that has a daughter at Texas Champion. She has elite goals. They seem to be on board and able to accommodate that path too. But Metroplex for sure as well.

Where are you located? Trevinos is an amazing gym, and focuses on sending girls to college. We switched there from another gym that sounds similar to your current gym, and have been so pleased!!! They are in the Lancaster area.

It could be that she is too old for the program at WOGA. If college is the goal, and not elite, WOGA would not be Me first choice in the DFW metroplex.

Also, take a look at the coaches track record. Coaches change gyms all the time, so just because a gym hasn't sent anyone to college or have elites doesn't mean the coach isn't capable.

Your daughter might have better success in a newer program like Iarov Elite or Texas Champion. Both gyms have strong coaches, but the gym itself doesn't have a huge reputation, yet!

Please don't take this wrong....but I doubt all the college gymnasts out there went to WOGA.;)
My daughter, an average optional gymnast of age 8, does not go to WOGA. And while 8 year olds plans can change, she has every intention of competing at some level in college.

No one on my daughter's college team went to WOGA...neither of my girls went to WOGA and both were recruited and signed for college gym....

I agree with the posters above...please do not set your child up for a life of feeling she's "not good enough" because she isn't a WOGA gymnast...gymnastics is a judged sport as it is so the "not good enough " feeling is built into the competition, she doesn't need the added at home disappointed feeling ( and she WILL feel it) that she didn't cut it...take the advice of our many Texan CBers and check out some of the other very good TX gyms..

I would caution against Trevinos. The only college gymnast they've had in their 30 years is the owner's daughter. And they are terribly emotionally abusive to their girls when they leave. I'm not sure the rules of the forum when it comes to discussing gyms and specifics, but the laundry list of girls who leave there for other gyms and do much better at the new gyms than they ever did at Trevinos speaks for itself.

Depending on where you are in the area, there's metroplex, palaestra, empire, sunbelt, Texas dreams, ivarov, Kurt Thomas, top flight, Denton gymnastics academy, etc. As the others have said, WOGA is just one gym.

Gosh, where I live it seems that Texas is THE gym state with tons of great gyms to pick from! My guess it's like trying on shoes......what looks great might not fit to comfortably......I would take my DD for a try on to make sure the gym fits my DD, not the other way around......

You also need to be realistic, WOGA seems like a fairly strong elite focused gym, and if you look at their gymnasts they all have a very similar body type, this would be in part due to selection and partially the style of training... how many kids with a body like Simone Biles have you seen at WOGA :) They also posted some statistics one year where they were staunchly proud of how young their gymnasts were compared to the national averages in each level. My guess is, if they really wanted your DD they would have told you to join immediately so they could train her in their method with the basics they want asap, I would take this as a kind hint to look elsewhere. As many have said, you have plenty of great gyms to choose from that have goals and success with gymnasts at the top level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back