How to get into world championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But Ferrari ruptured her Achilles while doing a difficult skill, so she deserved to be there. I don't know who said she didn't deserve it....

That's my point. We all know who Ferrari is, so there is no second guessing her worthiness of competing in this meet.

My two gymnasts saw the table and checked it out. They didn't like the feel much and also said it seemed very slippery.

They had the same one in the public area that you could touch. The surface was very different to other gymnova tables. Felt slippery to the touch, athletes also reported that they found it very bouncy.
I have heard at my competitions that people were talking about a new vault table which would make its debut at world's. The new thing about the table was that there were springs in the table. That could explain for the bouncieness.

I have no idea if the table ended up being used at this competition. I have read about it too, but I can't seem to find the article anymore...

Hmmm. Now I wonder if she concussed or badly whiplashed on her first bars fall. I'm no coach, but she looked like she was off in a vestibular sense in some of her later events, and she looked completely done in by the time she reached floor.

Any country can enter gymnasts at worlds. I strongly disagree with having the gymnasts have to reach a qualification score or having seperate streams.

The point of worlds, is that it is truly worlds. A chance for every country in the world to come together with their best and compete.

Not every country goes in with the goal of placing, it is a chance for each country to showcase their best gymnasts and their gymnasts progress and for all countries to come together for one competition in the name of gymnastics.

Aussie Coach, we'll have to agree to disagree.... Yes it is Worlds but it's also an elite meet , and elite has its own qualifications. And some of the stuff gymnasts are just chucking to get the E score just isn't safe...

I agree with Aussie_coach. My country is not a gymnastics powerhouse country. I personally know several gymnasts who represented Finland in the Worlds and even if they didn't get even close to the finals I still strongly and truly admire them and what they have done to promote this sport and inspire new generations of gymnasts to dream about the Worlds and maybe getting one step closer to the international elite level every time we send someone there.

I enjoy watching every gymnasts, no matter their skill level. I absolutely adore the feeling of coming together as a gymnastics community and having a great opportunity to get visibility for this sport in the media. It wouldn't be the same if there were only the "true elites" competing against each other. It would quickly turn out to be a contest just between the big power countries like the USA, China and Russia with the most population = the widest talent pool and the best resources. I'm sure that you guys from the USA would love to watch that, but would it be interesting for any other country?

That was actually how it used to be! You might occasionally see a lone American in an event final or the AA, but the top spots were locked up by the Eastern Bloc countries.

If there were a way to provide funding assistance to countries whose teams need it, I think my preferred solution would be to have individual qualifications through participation in World Cup events for all potential team members, not just to gain national team spots that could be allocated to anyone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back