how to get over my fear of back walkovers on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

okay, so this fear is driving me insane. :mad:
i started back walkovers on beam during August. I got it the first night i started it, and it seemed so easy for me at the time. But ever sense then, each night, i go into my gym, do it on the fat beam (which is attached to a low beam), and then i get onto the medium or high regular beam and i can't make myself do it! i always get my coach to spot me a few times, and then i go for it. But i can never make myself do it the first time on my own. :mad: And the worst part of it is: i don't even get why im scared of it! :mad:
So, i was wondering if any of you gymnasts could give me some tips on how to get over this fear? thanks so much for reading :)

okay, so this fear is driving me insane. :mad:
i started back walkovers on beam during August. I got it the first night i started it, and it seemed so easy for me at the time. But ever sense then, each night, i go into my gym, do it on the fat beam (which is attached to a low beam), and then i get onto the medium or high regular beam and i can't make myself do it! i always get my coach to spot me a few times, and then i go for it. But i can never make myself do it the first time on my own. :mad: And the worst part of it is: i don't even get why im scared of it! :mad:
So, i was wondering if any of you gymnasts could give me some tips on how to get over this fear? thanks so much for reading :)

I think you probably need to get used to the high beam. Did you try to put a big mat under the beam and try it with out any help? That's what my gymnasts do. First in the floor then the floor beam then the high beam with a big mat. So even if they fall they will not get hurt because the beam is just knee high…from the fat mat …hope this makes sense :)

i had the same problem :)
the way coach fixed it is that i would pick a beam high or low and place a mat the same height of the beam on the end.
then i would start on the beam and do a back walkover onto the mat. you could also do it the other way if you are good at the other one :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back