Parents How to help a team "bond"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
Dd is part of a small level 4 team this year. Last year their level 3 team had 11 girls and they weren't extremely close, but they were pretty good friends. Most had competed level 2 together and the parents all got along and did stuff together occasionally. But since the end of last season and this one, they lost 7 of them, leaving only 4 of the original. They gained 2 in the past few months, so they are now at 6. They also lost their 2 coaches (one moved away and the other had to focus on their full time job and family) and have 2 new coaches that are good, but are much stricter and not as much "fun" as their level 3 coaches were and one doesn't speak much English. So, bottom line, it's been a rather difficult 6 months for them.

So now that meet season is starting, I don't think there is much of a sense of team anymore. The girls are friendly and the parents get along, but they don't really seem very supportive of each other and they don't seem very close. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build team spirit and help them bond? I think that a few of the girls in particular would really like a more team like feel, but they don't know how to get there. One of the teammates that left was really the heart of the team and after she left, it's just been different. Thanks!

A team "party" with some sort of craft activity? My DD has decorated both t-shirts and picture frames with different team groups. They can all wear their shirts to practice on the same day or you can print out a picture of them all and they can put it in their frames. But really any "out-of-gym" activity can help... even just a once-a-month fro-yo outing the last Friday of each month after practice or whatever.

We also like going to a pottery painting place with groups. My girls love to play laser tag with friends. Miniature golf is also fun. I find it helps to have an activity so they can talk in spurts and the shy ones still have something to do.

There never seems much time as the girls are in the gym so many hours. Our girls try to match Leo colors on certain days and it seems to give new team members a sense of friendship quickly. Fun for the girls. Not much planning. Just drove me crazy needed to do laundry for a certain leo. :)
Dd is part of a small level 4 team this year. Last year their level 3 team had 11 girls and they weren't extremely close, but they were pretty good friends. Most had competed level 2 together and the parents all got along and did stuff together occasionally. But since the end of last season and this one, they lost 7 of them, leaving only 4 of the original. They gained 2 in the past few months, so they are now at 6. They also lost their 2 coaches (one moved away and the other had to focus on their full time job and family) and have 2 new coaches that are good, but are much stricter and not as much "fun" as their level 3 coaches were and one doesn't speak much English. So, bottom line, it's been a rather difficult 6 months for them.

So now that meet season is starting, I don't think there is much of a sense of team anymore. The girls are friendly and the parents get along, but they don't really seem very supportive of each other and they don't seem very close. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build team spirit and help them bond? I think that a few of the girls in particular would really like a more team like feel, but they don't know how to get there. One of the teammates that left was really the heart of the team and after she left, it's just been different. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions! I do think planning an outing would be fun, but several of the girls live farther away (45+ minutes) and I don't get the feeling the moms would be up for too many activities that require driving and much money. But an occasional get together would be fun. We did used to go out to frozen yogurt after practices on Friday and the girls did love that, so that is a good idea to try again. I do like the idea of wearing matching leos and that kind of thing. I know the level 5 group is really getting into wearing matching leotards lately and it seems like an easy way to build team spirit. I had thought about making t-shirts together and I think that would be fun.

I hope that they will get closer with time, but I was just looking for suggestions on helping them bond sooner. Their first meet is only 6 weeks away. They also have a short season, only 2 months, with their state meet the first weekend in December. Even last year when they seemed closer as a team, they still weren't all that encouraging and full of team spirit at meets, so I figured a little help right now might make for a more fun and uplifting season.

Thanks for the suggestions! I do think planning an outing would be fun, but several of the girls live farther away (45+ minutes) and I don't get the feeling the moms would be up for too many activities that require driving and much money. But an occasional get together would be fun. We did used to go out to frozen yogurt after practices on Friday and the girls did love that, so that is a good idea to try again. I do like the idea of wearing matching leos and that kind of thing. I know the level 5 group is really getting into wearing matching leotards lately and it seems like an easy way to build team spirit. I had thought about making t-shirts together and I think that would be fun.

I hope that they will get closer with time, but I was just looking for suggestions on helping them bond sooner. Their first meet is only 6 weeks away. They also have a short season, only 2 months, with their state meet the first weekend in December. Even last year when they seemed closer as a team, they still weren't all that encouraging and full of team spirit at meets, so I figured a little help right now might make for a more fun and uplifting season.
Why not a dinner on a Friday instead of frozen yogurt...is there a pasta place nearby? Seems like so many gymnasts love those carbs.

Swimming party and barbecue or movie night with ice cream

I love the pool party idea, but the only one of us that has a pool or access to one just sold her house and is moving. That would be so fun though! I think I agree with everyone that we need to plan something outside the gym. Parents may be reluctant, but I think the girls would really love it.

What about some sort of secret gift exchange? Each girl gets the name of another team member and has to do little things for them. All costing less than $5 each, even encouraging notes etc would be nice. Then at the end of the set time, have a team dinner at someone's house and they each reveal their secret person.

My DD has been blessed to be a gym where the parents AND the girls are a tight knit group. Sleepovers are a great way to do this. In fact, you might be able to talk the gym owner into letting you have one at the gym with the entire team. We've done these several times and they are always a hit.

We also go out after our Friday night practice for dinner with the girls. (Bonus fun for parents, the girls all sit together and we make the waitress/waiter guess which kid belongs to which adult). It's our treat for making it through the week.

One of our parents hosts a Halloween party at her house every year. The adults go during practice on a Friday night to help set up the woods behind her house. Everyone brings a dish and all the kids (and, okay, some of the parents) dress up in costume. It's a BLAST!

We've had Halloween and Christmas parties at the gym. Our HC/owner has also hosted movie night at the gym for the girls before - took them out for slushies and brought them back to the gym he had decorated with a red carpet and Hollywood theme.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back