How to improve a tap swing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
DS has a mediocre tap swing on High Bar....What is the best way coaches fix this? He does everything too early says coach...He ends up looking very wiggly and seems to have a hard time getting above horizontal....

If he's a L4, don't be surprised...the best most L4 seem to get in their tap swing still has their body arched in their back swing with head out. Above horizontal for a L4 either requires an older L4 or a strong L4. Late tap helps of course.

A weak tap swing can sometimes simply be a matter of being weak in general in their shoulder girdle and middle body strength. Weaker kids are often just wiggly in general. Many weak kids tap early because they cannot hold the hollow shape on the back swing with head in as it requires the abdominal strength to keep the hips tucked under.

Some are not also pushing actively on the bar in their backswing. I need to go over this next week and check it. That means shoulders pushed out rather than just hanging.

In all honesty, L4 only requires swings to under horizontal, above 45 degrees. I've got some boys who are trying to swing big on some events but there are too many technical errors that I'd rather take them down a notch.

I'd take a swing 10 degrees above 45 below horizontal that has beautiful shapes rather than a big swing like my boys do now with head out in the back swing and doing the 1/2 turn in arch. Sometimes this is head out in the front swing as well.

Thanks for replying....
DS is quite strong and he seems to be forcing the swing too early....coach wants them to all swing big...I guess he wants them to gear up for L5 because they are on their 2nd year of level 4.....
I am sure it is just time....

On another note Blairbob,
What advice can you give me to help my son with a mental block??
He has now stopped doing ROBHS all together....he has a really nice one with a spot.....He did it for awhile with no spot....but yesterday in practice he stopped completely...
I asked him if it is fear of the skill, or fear from the coach getting mad....I don't know how to help him through it mentally...he is only 8, and he feels really bad that he cant seem to conquer it.....
thanks

many kids that age cannot verbalize what is going on in their heads. sort of a guessing game.

just keep working the drills and hope it works out. handstand snap down BHS down an incline, BHS-BHS on tramp, RO-BHS on a portapit at the end of tumbl-trak, RO-BHS with a spot. the usual.

The way I improved my tap swing was by arching my back on the back swing and throwing my toes forward when I swing forward, but maintaining good shape.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back