Anon How to know when to quit gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’ve been doing gymnastics for over 10 yrs now, and I haven’t exactly made it to the level I thought I would when I started gymnastics, I haven’t even made it to where I thought I would 3 years ago, this is mainly due to my mind and where I got started in gymnastics. I am a Diamond gymnast and last year I sat out due to a back injury so I thought I’d come back very strong and Ready for the new season, but since that injury last year I’ve felt so numb and un motivated for gymnastics, it doesn’t matter if I get a new skill or not I always feel just meh. Never omg I just did that which is how I used to feel. I can’t really remember a world without gymnastics but honestly right now I don’t even think I want to do it. Since this is a forum with a whole lot of other gymnasts I was hoping someone could give me some advice, I’ve talked to friends and it just kinda varies, it’s scary and sad but also exciting when I think about quitting.

I tried to stick things out when I felt similarly, but wish I would have quit sooner than I did. I ended up pouring all of my energy into track and actually doing all the off season workouts and camps for the first time and it paid off. I had an amazing pole vault season that spring and then went off to college and ran cross country and track. I really like how things turned out, so if you feel like your gymnastics journey might be ending, consider taking that pause. As an adult, I go to some open gyms and still enjoy gymnastics based conditioning. I know in our area at least Jr high and high school rec classes are growing too, and there are a number of all ages open gyms available if you want to keep a foot in the door while exploring what the end might look like.

I tried to stick things out when I felt similarly, but wish I would have quit sooner than I did. I ended up pouring all of my energy into track and actually doing all the off season workouts and camps for the first time and it paid off. I had an amazing pole vault season that spring and then went off to college and ran cross country and track.
Along with what @Coach Kate said, we had a gymnast on our team (L8) whose heart wasn't really in it after returning from a back injury. She had been doing track and gymnastics for a couple of years when she decided to retire. She knew she could come back any time. This past weekend, she won the Gold Medal in Pole Vault at her college Conference's Track Championship.

If gym isn't doing it for you, take a break. Explore other options. Give it a month. See if you are still meh about gym. If you are, give it another month. Maybe go to an open gym and see if it gives you a spark. If not, you did NOT quit, you RETIRED.

Along with what @Coach Kate said, we had a gymnast on our team (L8) whose heart wasn't really in it after returning from a back injury. She had been doing track and gymnastics for a couple of years when she decided to retire. She knew she could come back any time. This past weekend, she won the Gold Medal in Pole Vault at her college Conference's Track Championship.

If gym isn't doing it for you, take a break. Explore other options. Give it a month. See if you are still meh about gym. If you are, give it another month. Maybe go to an open gym and see if it gives you a spark. If not, you did NOT quit, you RETIRED.
Thank you!

I’ve been doing gymnastics for over 10 yrs now, and I haven’t exactly made it to the level I thought I would when I started gymnastics, I haven’t even made it to where I thought I would 3 years ago, this is mainly due to my mind and where I got started in gymnastics. I am a Diamond gymnast and last year I sat out due to a back injury so I thought I’d come back very strong and Ready for the new season, but since that injury last year I’ve felt so numb and un motivated for gymnastics, it doesn’t matter if I get a new skill or not I always feel just meh. Never omg I just did that which is how I used to feel. I can’t really remember a world without gymnastics but honestly right now I don’t even think I want to do it. Since this is a forum with a whole lot of other gymnasts I was hoping someone could give me some advice, I’ve talked to friends and it just kinda varies, it’s scary and sad but also exciting when I think about quitting.
I understand. I am a Gold Gymnast, and for the past 6 months, I’ve been thinking about quitting. It just doesn’t feel fun to me anymore, and every day I dread going to gymnastics. At first, I thought to give it a few months to see if I change my mind, but I haven’t. I always feel like I’m missing out on things in my personal life. I’ve told my parents countless times, but I feel like they don’t understand me. I just want to end my gymnastics chapter, and start a completely different one. Can anyone give me advice on what to do? Also, how can I convince my parents to let me quit?

I always feel like I’m missing out on things in my personal life. I’ve told my parents countless times, but I feel like they don’t understand me. I just want to end my gymnastics chapter, and start a completely different one. Can anyone give me advice on what to do? Also, how can I convince my parents to let me quit?
If you want to convince your parents, maybe you should come up with a list of alternative activities you would like to try. See if they would allow you to at least take a BREAK from gymnastics (it helps if your gym would be on board with the plan) to try other things. If, after a month, you don't miss gymnastics and you have found other activities you would like to pursue, you should be allowed to retire from gymnastics.
Good luck.

It’s a big decision because you spend a lot of time in the gym. It’s helpful to identify the things that gymnastics does provide you. Example
1. Fitness
2. Strength
3. Good health and flexibility
4. Friendships and social experiences
5. Keeping your cognitive function up (improving your learning ability for school).
6. Other adults in your life to turn too

This stuff may or may not be the case for you, there may be different things. But, whatever your list looks like. Ask yourself what your plan is to fulfil those needs after gymnastics.

Those who have a plan for this when they quit, are less likely to regret the decision. Those who don’t have a plan for this, may find that quitting gymnastics leaves a big hole in their lives.

Other questions to ask yourself.

Am I having fun? Even if you are not achieving what you want. If you are having fun at the gym, it’s still a great way to keep feet.

Do I have goals I can achieve? You may not be where you expected to be, but do you have goals to achieve anyway?

Am I progressing? Again if you have not achieved your specific goals, it doesn’t Walsh mean you aren’t progressing and improving.

I was a competitive gymnast for about 10 years. In the grand scheme of things, I was not particularly accomplished, but I was OBSESSED with the sport. Because gymnastics is so tough (mentally and physically) and is a big time commitment, you kind of need a baseline level of passion in order to survive. It sounds like you might have lost your passion, but are not sure what to do.

Here's what the last 2 years of my gymnastics career looked like:

(1) Got majorly injured.
(2) Continued to condition/train during my recovery.
(3) Got another injury.
(4) Continued to condition/train during my recovery.
(5) Got "better" ... but all of a sudden the spark was gone. I had a lot of catching up to do. My body always hurt. I felt like I was constantly in "maintenance mode" and not physically resilient enough to try bigger skills. I was also "old" (19 years old) and feeling like I should take a hint from the universe that my gymnastics career was over.
(6) Took the summer off. (I planned to return in the fall with a better attitude.)
(7) Came back to practice in the fall, but still felt "meh".
(8) Retired shortly after the season started.

If you're not sure if you are ready to retire, I think it's wise to take a long vacation first. For me, I took about 2 months off. This will give you a taste for what life is like outside of gymnastics, and it will give your body and mind a break. If you're not feeling refreshed after the break, that's usually a sign that your heart isn't committed to gymnastics anymore.

BTW, my life philosophy is "quit while you're having fun." (A corollary to this is "end on a good one.") My guess is that you've had a long and rewarding gymnastics career. This is an experience that you should celebrate. You will have to retire eventually, so it's better to do it while you're having fun. Don't wait until you are desperately miserable or injured. You deserve to end your gymnastics career on a good note.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back