Parents How to move to competitive gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mumof1girl

Proud Parent
Hi,

My daughter (9) is in advanced stage recreational gymnastics at quite an elite club and absolutely loves it. Her dream is to get selected for squad. Given her club is quite elite I’m not sure if this will happen - she seems good and she’s progressed well up the classes - but she’s been there a couple of years so would this have happened by now if it was going to there? It’s her absolute dream to compete and she works so hard, so I am wondering what the best thing is to do. She’s doing 4 hours a week at the moment at current club. Should we try a different club? How do you know if they have the potential to move to competitive? I want to support her with her dream but of course understand it’s hard to get into squads - so just after any advice really as I’m not too sure how it works (other than they need to be selected usually). Many thanks :)

clubs are so different in their selection criteria and how they go about forming teams (invite, open tryouts, etc). Your best bet is to talk with the staff at your gym. If they will not look at her because of her age (fairly common in the elite gyms to get the girls on to team with they are really young) then you can look for other gyms that may welcome her onto team.

clubs are so different in their selection criteria and how they go about forming teams (invite, open tryouts, etc). Your best bet is to talk with the staff at your gym. If they will not look at her because of her age (fairly common in the elite gyms to get the girls on to team with they are really young) then you can look for other gyms that may welcome her onto team.
Thank you that’s helpful

What @gymgal said. Normally, gyms with high level gymnasts will recruit recreational girls for their pre-teams as young as 4. By 9, they are often either out of the sport already or practicing 12+ hours a week. However, most large gyms have a lot of different groups and perhaps yours has one where your daughter could fit in. If they have an Xcel program, that could be a good place to start as the hours are usually less. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Where are you located? It sounds like you are in Great BritIan. Could any of our GB parents give her some information? Clubs in GB seem to have smaller competitive teams unlike US clubs that often have larger teams at multiple levels.

I'm in the UK and all the advice given above is spot on. Talk to the current gym first and if they won't consider her have a look at other gyms in the area and enquire there. We have several levels of competition in the UK, starting at GFA (which is competitive recreational), county levels, regional grades etc. At 9 it is probably too late for the highest levels but there are several options available. Good luck.

I'm in the UK and very early on in our gymnastics adventure but my little girl (6) got invited to trial with a squad group off the back of me asking what the next steps were when her coach gave me lots of really good feedback after her recreational sessions. It felt like asking the question was what made it happen (and she's now a happy little squad member looking forward to her first competition).

Reactions: rd7
Hi,

My daughter (9) is in advanced stage recreational gymnastics at quite an elite club and absolutely loves it. Her dream is to get selected for squad. Given her club is quite elite I’m not sure if this will happen - she seems good and she’s progressed well up the classes - but she’s been there a couple of years so would this have happened by now if it was going to there? It’s her absolute dream to compete and she works so hard, so I am wondering what the best thing is to do. She’s doing 4 hours a week at the moment at current club. Should we try a different club? How do you know if they have the potential to move to competitive? I want to support her with her dream but of course understand it’s hard to get into squads - so just after any advice really as I’m not too sure how it works (other than they need to be selected usually). Many thanks :)
I'm guessing you are in the UK.
I think if they were going to pick her out they would have done by now, especially as she has been there 2 years.
It is possible that haven't realised she is so keen but I think it is more likely she doesn't meet their level for squad or that they don't have any spaces in a squad of her level. I feel you have nothing to lose from politely equiring and repeating what you have said above. She loves it, she would love to be in a squad, is there any chance for her at this club please.

It should be easy to tell from their body language and demeanour when they reply if they would ever consider her (even if their words say different)

There are many clubs and all will have different set ups, spaces in squad, types of squad, requirements, standards. She might well have a better chance at a different club which has more spaces or lower standards in their squads. It doesn't mean that her current club doesn't value her or rate her, it just might mean that they don't have capacity to run a suitable level squad. Phone round and take her for trials. You have nothing to lose.

Reactions: rd7
its based on invitation so she has to be invited. And they don't do it be age, so i just think that she's either lacking strength and or flexibility or there is are no more spots on the team.

its based on invitation so she has to be invited. And they don't do it be age, so i just think that she's either lacking strength and or flexibility or there is are no more spots on the team.
in the UK it is often done by age

It never hurts to ask! When I signed up my 6 year old daughter I wasn’t sure if I should start her in the beginner or intermediate rec class. She had learned a lot of skills just tumbling in the house. After 45 minutes, the head coach came to me and asked if she could complete level 2 in the fall of that year .. we said no, but here she is 6 years later and a level 8. I always wonder what the coach saw in my daughter, but I think it was honestly just brute strength!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back