MAG How to overcome fear of re-injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
So here is the short story…at level 4, two years ago, my son broke his arm doing a round off back handspring (September). It was a freak accident. He struggled to get it back and would not do it without a spot. A year later it seemed things were back to normal and he was doing it again (round off two back handsprings and a back flip). Then he freaked out once in mid air and went back to not doing it. He did level 5 with just doing a round off. Somehow won state again (#3 in a row for him). But now we are at a new gym and he his jumping to level 7….possibly 8. He still will not do it. His new coach doesn’t know what to do. We are doing privates with a girls coach every Saturday who is supposed to be very good with this matter. And after a month, he still will not do it. He won’t go for it. We’ve tried lessons, encouragement, grounding, bribary lol. I mean EVERYTHING. It almost seems like it’s getting worse, not better. He should be doing round off back handspring double fulls. He will do one on the trampoline but not consistently. He does all these “scary” things on all the other events which are much more dangerous and has no abnormal issues. His favorite is High Bar! Nobody can figure this out. He wants to be one day a Olympian, just like most gymnasts do. Big dreams. He works hard going 5 days a week 4 hours each day. And he’s good. But just this dreaded back pass on floor is such a hair pulling mystery. Now I am on here trying to find answers. It’s been over two years….come on!!!!

I hope you were joking about the bribery and grounding — I can’t be sure based on some of the stuff I’ve seen in gyms.

Honestly, he probably has PTSD. I’d get off his back about it and get him evaluated by a GOOD sports/performance psychologist.

I would stop all efforts to get him to do this skill where he is uncomfortable, the pressure must be getting unbearable. Stop working it, stop talking about it, definitely stop the privates.

If there is somewhere he can do it without any stress at all, trampoline maybe, then have him do that, multiple repetitions, until he really wants to move it to the next stage. If he can't do that then jump backwards to mats or other drills as if he is just learning the skill and move forwards from there.

Time and patience is the only way to fix this safely.

Why would you ground him?? Poor guy. If he's doing so well that he's jumping multiple levels, act proud of him instead of bribing and grounding him! That's probably what's making it worse, all the pressure! Leave him alone and let him do his thing. Be patient.
Please apologize to him and tell him it's alright.
It's not your journey, it's his. You're acting frustrated with him, but imagine how he feels! Going to upper levels, but being scared to do a round off back handspring, and having his own parent pressuring him and his coaches worried about him :(
Put yourself in his shoes, and give him a big hug for me

Also, you should probably rethink your choice of avatar photo. Parents who know your kid are going to look at this post.

Why would you ground him?? Poor guy. If he's doing so well that he's jumping multiple levels, act proud of him instead of bribing and grounding him! That's probably what's making it worse, all the pressure! Leave him alone and let him do his thing. Be patient.
It's not your journey, it's his. You're acting frustrated with him, but imagine how he feels! Going to upper levels, but being scared to do a round off back handspring, and having his own parent pressuring him and his coaches worried about him :(

Ok, so he wasn’t actually grounded…..probably bribed just a little but that was long ago. .Everyone is frustrated obviously and just trying to figure out a solution. Thank you for your reply!​

It sounds like you may not have tried the one thing that could possibly help and that is to back off the pressure of getting the skill. I don't know anything about MAG but is there alternative front tumbling that he could do instead?

It sounds like you may not have tried the one thing that could possibly help and that is to back off the pressure of getting the skill. I don't know anything about MAG but is there alternative front tumbling that he could do instead?

When my son was a L7/8/9 - every summer he couldn't do twisting on floor (after competing fulls/double fulls all season) - and he couldn't do layouts without wanting to twist - I think it was 3 or 4 years in a row. I did nothing - except remind him to chill and it would come back. His coaches said nothing - just took him back to drills until he felt ready and safe to twist again. Also - he was never spotted - just drills and pit until he could do it alone again. It always came back by season - sometimes their brain just needs a reset. Now he easily competes triple twists and more.... we always just assumed and joked about his skills going on vacation. Still do - his endos & stalders did not go to college with him - but they recently arrived!!

We have in the past for months. This as been going on for over two years now. He really wants to do it but says his body just won’t let him. I’m on this thread because many coaches have tried to come up with the correct solution. And its been so long of not doing it, it’s created this mental monster. We’ve tried starting from the basics. The only thing we haven’t tried is sports psychologist. He even asked if he could he hypnotized so he could forget it every happened. He really wants it back. And yes the frustration is being his father and not having a solution for him when he wants it so bad. Other events that he has wiped out on he has no issue getting back up and trying again.

When my son was a L7/8/9 - every summer he couldn't do twisting on floor (after competing fulls/double fulls all season) - and he couldn't do layouts without wanting to twist - I think it was 3 or 4 years in a row. I did nothing - except remind him to chill and it would come back. His coaches said nothing - just took him back to drills until he felt ready and safe to twist again. Also - he was never spotted - just drills and pit until he could do it alone again. It always came back by season - sometimes their brain just needs a reset. Now he easily competes triple twists and more.... we always just assumed and joked about his skills going on vacation. Still do - his endos & stalders did not go to college with him - but they recently arrived!!
Thank you for the positive feedback!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back