Parents How to prepare 5 year old for first meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Youngest DD was the only 5 yr old in our state the first year she competed (level 2.) She surprised everyone, including the coaches when she did as well as she did and ended up winning 1st AA at state. She understood the awards and placement to a degree as her sister had started competing the year before, but was just always happy to get a medal. (Every meet we went to that year everyone got a medal) We talked about having fun and that was the point as I didn't realize she would do so well up against the older kids. At that age, it truly is about the fun. I second the advice above about going to the bathroom before as I noticed some level 2s at our home meet last year from another gym that looked super young that had peed themselves. It was quite the clean up and put a few events on hold. Also, if she is upset, ice cream is always a good thing.

I understand your concern in not wanting to see your daughter disappointed. At 5, she may or may not know what standing on the podium means, if winning is important or desireable, but she will feel your anxiety and that may be the one that will set her up her for disappointment. So my suggestion is truly just don't worry or think about it. I would not even talk to her about it. Just tell her to have fun. If you are having fun, she'll have fun. Treat it like practice. Level 2 should be fun. Additionally, in this day and age, mere participation is awarded. She'll likely end up with something. If she seems disappointed at the end, then address it then but not before. It may never even happen.

Mine competed at 5. Yes, explain the ribbons, medals, etc at that age if that’s important to your child and will prevent a meltdown. But, the most important thing at that age, and I’m being totally serious, is explaining how to get to the potty. Like, if you need to go potty tell your coach so mommy (or daddy) can take you. At that age, my kid could not get a competition Leo off by herself. Also, be sure you have some type of non-messy snack and some water.

We always went out to eat afterwards and celebrated her special thing for the meet (because there is always something to celebrate.)

Don’t say that she won’t win! You just never know, especially your DD being so young. They give out medals for all 4 events to the top 50% +1 (so if there are 15 in age category, 8 will get medals). Every girl gets a medal for All Around, and depending on the meet, the first 3 around places will get trophies or plaques. The girl with the highest all around from her level in her gym will get to have the team trophy for a couple of days (that’s how it’s done in our gym).

Girls are divided into age groups, usually 3 per level, or about 14-16 girls per age group. Most of the time, younger girls will score lower. You won’t know which age group she is in until the awards... unless the meet does live scoring, you can check meetscoresonline dot com or myusagym online or app.

How to prepare her for competition... you are doing everything right. Do not be nervous yourself! That’s most important, because kids feel and feed off of your anxiety. Your daughter being so young, I would remind her to focus. We had this one kid who could care less if it was competition or not, she never stayed focused, and unfortunately didn’t score high.

If it is your first competition, just a tip from me... I learned that at all competitions, they sell leotards, toys, and various gifts at super expensive prices, that you might be tempted to buy during all of the excitement. I learned to buy my own gifts for my daughter at a third of a price before the competition.

Good luck! Yes, your daughter will score well, she will have fun, and will bring some medals home. Let us know how it goes!

They give out medals for all 4 events to the top 50% +1 (so if there are 15 in age category, 8 will get medals). Every girl gets a medal for All Around, and depending on the meet, the first 3 around places will get trophies or plaques. The girl with the highest all around from her level in her gym will get to have the team trophy for a couple of days (that’s how it’s done in our gym).

I think this is different depending on location. My daughters have competed for two seasons, the youngest one competed level 2 at age 5.

Where we live, they very rarely give out medals for all 4 events, and usually just do AA for top 50%+1. Most meets, both big and small in our area, did not give out AA medals to every girl, and we have only been to a couple meets that give out trophies or plaques (we have been to about 16 meets in 2 different states now). I just wouldn't want the child to have an expectation that she will get a medal when it doesn't always happen!

Several years ago, when our HC ordered new ribbons, she ordered through 18th place (we are only required to place top 12 now, but if I have them and the age group warrants it, I am willing to place all the way out because they are pretty). Older girls were getting upset that their age groups weren"t "big enough" ... they wanted the teal, raspberry (bright pink), turquoise, or navy ribbons, lol.
LOL I think when they really understand it all, if you aren't going to place 1-3, or achieve whatever you wish to achieve, you may as well get a pretty/different ribbon. It's something different and cool (for the moment). We get very few 'prizes' here, so I can only imagine how much more exciting a different coloured ribbon would be in a country that is often placing all the way out.

My 6 year old just had a first meet and I was so proud of her! She is a little ADD so sitting and watching for so long was hard for her, but she turned it on at her turn for sure. Can't wait to see her by the end of the season. Thanks for all of the advice!

So sweet! Six is such an adorable age. There little but sometimes wise beyond their years, sometimes babies and other times so grown up.

To follow up, she did understand at that first meet that there were winners and the winners got medals. She didn’t mention not getting a medal until after the meet. She kinda whined about it for a minute or two and then didn’t mention it again. She did end up winning a couple of medals throughout the season. She didn’t seem to care too much about the ribbons. Once she won a medal, that kinda lit a fire in her to give it her all during the competitions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back