WAG How to qualify for a state meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

emmaflips

Gymnast
I’m relatively new to competitive gymnastics (I was doing recreational up until two years ago), and this year is the first year for my gym that the competitions are judged. For reference I’m a level 3 :). I’m not quite sure what qualifying for state entails completely, but for Ohio, my state, I believe you must get an all-around score of at least 28.00 for my level. I’ve definitely met that requirement at my last meet where I got 33.30, but is that really the only stipulation?

If someone could break down exactly how to qualify for a state meet that would be so amazing!

Also make sure that the meet where you scored a 33 is a USAG sanctioned meet. For example, most in-house meets are not sanctioned. Congrats on qualifying for state quickly!

I’m relatively new to competitive gymnastics (I was doing recreational up until two years ago), and this year is the first year for my gym that the competitions are judged. For reference I’m a level 3 :). I’m not quite sure what qualifying for state entails completely, but for Ohio, my state, I believe you must get an all-around score of at least 28.00 for my level. I’ve definitely met that requirement at my last meet where I got 33.30, but is that really the only stipulation?

If someone could break down exactly how to qualify for a state meet that would be so amazing!
a
28.00 All Around sounds like AAU. Most USAG state meets require a 32.00 +/- to go to qualify to state meets. Our state requires 32.00 All Around twice for USAG compulsory levels, but AAU is only a 28.00 All Around.

a
28.00 All Around sounds like AAU. Most USAG state meets require a 32.00 +/- to go to qualify to state meets. Our state requires 32.00 All Around twice for USAG compulsory levels, but AAU is only a 28.00 All Around.
In Ohio, where OP is from, 28.00 AA is the requirement for USAG JO L3 -L5 and XB, XS, and XG gymnasts to qualify for State.
L6 - L8 and XP and XD = 30.00
L9 - L10 = 32.00

How is that even possible? :eek: (you don't really have to answer, its just hard to believe.)

We are from Ohio, and I’ve always said the same thing. Qualifying for state isn’t really a “bid deal” here like it is in other states because I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone NOT qualify.

In the state I live in, for Level 3 and Level 4 there is no qualifying score for state. All you have to do is compete all around in one meet.

That's really interesting as to how it works in the states. Where I'm from, qualifying for provincials is an achievement, as it is not based on score, but rather on placement at trials to provincials. To me, even getting to compete at provincials/states should be a huge accomplishment, just as it is for other sports.

How is that even possible? :eek: (you don't really have to answer, its just hard to believe.)
Lol, Qualifying for Y Nationals is harder than qualifying for State here.
Y Nationals Qualifying scores (unless they change them):
L1 - 33.0
L2 - 33.0 OR 35.0 at L1
L3 - 32.0 OR 35.0 at L2
L4 - 32.0 OR 35.0 at L3
L5 - 31.0 OR 33.0 at L4
L6 - 31.0 OR 33.0 at L5
L7 - 31.0 OR 33.0 at L5 OR L6
L8 - 31.0 OR 33.0 at L7
"Championship" - 32.0 at L9 OR L10 OR Elite??? OR 33.0 at L8
XB - 33.0 OR 35.0 at L2
XS - 33.0 OR 35.0 at L3
XG - 33.0 OR 35.0 at L4
XP - 33.0 OR 35.0 at L5
XD - 33.0 OR 35.0 at L5
I am actually hoping they make some changes to the Xcel qualifying, like allowing for competing "up" if they score high enough similar to how they allow JO gymnasts to compete up. Also, if L5s can compete L6 or L7 at 33.0, why allow the crossover to Xcel also? If they are getting a 35.0+ in L5, they should do well in L6.

It could be a case of, low qualifying score so lots of people qualify, equalling lots of entry fees.
And because there are gyms that don't bother with States, so by having a lower score, more girls will qualify from gyms that do choose to go.
And like another poster said, many gyms have a higher requirement of their own. ;)

Yes, that’s all you need to qualify! To be honest, qualifying is not a big deal. Out of years as a gymnastics parent, I have only seen one girl who did not qualify at first... she ended up qualifying at the last weekend meet before the states. Your coaches have to register the gym, and you as well, and have to be there with you at the state meet. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back