WAG How to spot cartwheels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
I started helping coaching a fun little class together with my teammate and coach. In this class, there are girls age 6-8. The smallest 6yo Has troubles with her cartwheel. She lands it, but if you didn't know it was a cartwheel, you wouldnt think it was. She doesn't really pass through that inverted position. My coach told me that i can help her with this, since i can easiliy lift her etc. How do you spot cartwheels? She doesn't take critique that Well, so i would like to just give her the feeling how to do it right, since it is a recreational competetive group and i don't want her to cry or be sad, it is all supposed to be fun at this time!

I often have them try it over a small block to help them figure it out and give them more time to get their feet under them and get the general motion figured out. Typically it's just sort of a hop over, eventually going to a hop starting/finishing on one foot.
If I need to spot, I position myself on their dominant side (so when they go upside down their back is to you). For kids who need more help, I have them start with my hand (the one closest to their body) on/near their hip and as they kick I grab the other side- so my hands are straight on at the start/middle part and cross at the very end.

I often have them try it over a small block to help them figure it out and give them more time to get their feet under them and get the general motion figured out. Typically it's just sort of a hop over, eventually going to a hop starting/finishing on one foot.
If I need to spot, I position myself on their dominant side (so when they go upside down their back is to you). For kids who need more help, I have them start with my hand (the one closest to their body) on/near their hip and as they kick I grab the other side- so my hands are straight on at the start/middle part and cross at the very end.
I do everything opposite of others, lol.

I usually do the arms-crossed thing with kids who are pretty competent at cartwheels and need to work on precision (e.g. when they're starting cartwheels on beam). If the gymnast needs a spotter to get their hips over their head, I usually just stand on the dominant side and pull their hips towards me as they kick into it. It's not a great method for teaching the technique of kicking over the top, but as you said, it's good to just have the chance to do it.

Cartwheels are hard to teach. Good luck and have fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back