Parents How to support daugther after all on bars during competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnasticsmom

Proud Parent
My daughter recently fell on her bars routine during a competition. She got right back up and completed her routine, but I'm afraid the fall will mess with her head. What's the best way I can support her? This is the first time this has happened in a competion.

My daughter recently fell on her bars routine during a competition. She got right back up and completed her routine, but I'm afraid the fall will mess with her head. What's the best way I can support her? This is the first time this has happened in a competion.

It sounds like she handled it well. I think the best way is to not make a big deal about it. Gymnastics is a sport where falls are expected. The coach should be able to help her through it and the gymnast will learn it is part of it. Is she struggling now because of this??

I definitely would not make a big deal about it. Did she say something to indicate that this will be an issue? What level is your daughter? It seems like the higher the level, the more often you will see girls fall on bars.

Girls fall off the bars during practice so maybe it was nothing to her except a mistake and she shook it off and continued.

My dd fell off bars once at a meet and thankfully was caught by her coach. She continued the rest of the routine just fine. Then she headed right to beam of course. I was thinking that she was going to mess up on beam based on the bars fall but she had a great routine. It did not seem to impact any future meets.

When she brought it up after the meet, we just told her that we were proud that she got up and continued bars and did well on beam. We said that falling is part of gymnastics. Even the best elite, college and Olympic gymnasts fall sometimes.

It sounds like she handled it well. I think the best way is to not make a big deal about it. Gymnastics is a sport where falls are expected. The coach should be able to help her through it and the gymnast will learn it is part of it. Is she struggling now because of this??
Thank you. It just happened, so she isn't having problems yet. I just want to make sure I'm being supportive of her. After the meet, when we watched the videos of her routines, I just told her not to worry about it, that falls happen, and I was proud of her that she got back up and finished her routine. While she was upset about, she wasn't overly emotional about it. She tends to hold her emotions in though.

Thank you. It just happened, so she isn't having problems yet. I just want to make sure I'm being supportive of her. After the meet, when we watched the videos of her routines, I just told her not to worry about it, that falls happen, and I was proud of her that she got back up and finished her routine. While she was upset about, she wasn't overly emotional about it. She tends to hold her emotions in though.

That was perfect. Now, personally, I would not mention it again. Odds are, she will bounce back just fine. She may fall again, but will better know how to handle it :)

Reactions: cmg
I definitely would not make a big deal about it. Did she say something to indicate that this will be an issue? What level is your daughter? It seems like the higher the level, the more often you will see girls fall on bars.

Girls fall off the bars during practice so maybe it was nothing to her except a mistake and she shook it off and continued.

My dd fell off bars once at a meet and thankfully was caught by her coach. She continued the rest of the routine just fine. Then she headed right to beam of course. I was thinking that she was going to mess up on beam based on the bars fall but she had a great routine. It did not seem to impact any future meets.

When she brought it up after the meet, we just told her that we were proud that she got up and continued bars and did well on beam. We said that falling is part of gymnastics. Even the best elite, college and Olympic gymnasts fall sometimes.
She's level 5. She didn't say anything, but seemed upset (naturally).

All very sage advice, thank you so much! I feel very reassured that I did the right thing and what everyone is suggesting here is what I was planning on doing (i.e., not dwelling on it). Just needed to know if I was headed in the right direction. Feels like at this level she's starting to show more awareness about scoring, performing well (she showed some of this at level 4, but I've noticed it has increased somewhat with this level).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back