Parents How would you handle it?....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If she were my kid and she had the skills for level 8, move her...I'm not paying to repeat a level that my kid is scoring in the 9.5-9.7 range already...that's called a ringer. We have a gym here that does that all the time....10 yr old level 5s getting 38s and beating everyone because it's their 3rd year in the level....not nice and your owner just wants it for his gym banners.

Our original gym tried to do that with my youngest when she was level 4 and had won all her meets , including big ones like IGI and Parkettes, and wanted her to "repeat level 4 for her sake" .She had her level 5 and most 6 skills so I said to them, "just so we're clear, she will not be repeating level 4 again in this gym"...she was moved up and did well.
I agree with this.

And yes she has time on her side. And the way she should be spending that times is learning L8 skills. Now if by next spring she doesn't have them all that is a different story. Its a year away. And she could possibly be upgrading her L7 routines if she is repeating.

To make that decision now.... I can't be anything but blunt, its called sandbagging.

I agree with this.

And yes she has time on her side. And the way she should be spending that times is learning L8 skills. Now if by next spring she doesn't have them all that is a different story. Its a year away. And she could possibly be upgrading her L7 routines if she is repeating.

To make that decision now.... I can't be anything but blunt, its called sandbagging.
Blunt is fine with me! It is what it is! I'm not for sandbagging at all!

I agree with this.

A million times YES!!! OP You're not being unreasonable. All you're asking is for her to be given a fair chance at L8. With her scores she has earned the chance to at least try for it. If the skills don't come you stated that you had no problem with her repeating L7. Why in the world would they be so set on deciding NOW?? I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

This is an interesting thread. And I go back and forth on what would be best for my also 9 year old as far as repeating or moving up but we have some other issues I continue to try to mentally sort out.
I think queenbee and bookworm have very sound advice here. I've seen a few girls at meets who might have 9's on three events for example but very weak bars (no free hip handstand or toe hand, iffy kip cast handstand) and even with a low 36 ish, I can see very sound reasoning for repeating 7 in that case. But that's not what's happening with your DD. And 10 year old tops is essentially level 8 skills.
When the gyms start pushing the 38 and 39's, I feel like that is all about notoriety for the gym and/or coach and not in the interest of the kids, and I just don't like that. Good luck!!

also, there's nothing wrong with struggling and not having high score and not winning every event/every meet... it builds character and encourages the girls to work hard.

We've had many gymnasts who were so used to winning everything that when they started struggling and not scoring as high, they ended up quitting.

look at some of the best elite and college gymnasts - almost all had growing pains where they struggled during the 1st year of 9/10.

also, there's nothing wrong with struggling and not having high score and not winning every event/every meet... it builds character and encourages the girls to work hard.

We've had many gymnasts who were so used to winning everything that when they started struggling and not scoring as high, they ended up quitting.

look at some of the best elite and college gymnasts - almost all had growing pains where they struggled during the 1st year of 9/10.
Yep. Some compulsory kids who were used to 38's kinda melted down when it got a little harder in 7. And then even harder in 8. There is something to be said for not being at the top of the podium at every single meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back