WAG Hs gymnastics vs club

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I was wondering how competitive high school gymnastics and are the requirements for Jv and varsity. I heard from a lot of that high school gymnastics is like a high level rec team and is really laid back. Also does varsity gymnastics get as much hype as the other sports. How would high school gymnastics compare to the jo program? And can I get a scholarship and compete in d1 d2 with it, or do I need to do Jo?

The requirements are similar to level 8. It does not get as much hype as other varsity hs sports in my experience, due to the fact that the difficulty level is pretty low. You will find lots of level 3-5 gymnasts getting 6s or 7s where I live, so it is pretty low level compared to jo and the scoring is easier. And no, you cannot get a scholarship in highschool gymnastics.

All these are answers based off of where I live. It could be different around you.

It varies based on the state in which you live. If you're willing to give that info, someone may be able to give you specifics. As far as college gymnastics, no, you could not be recruited solely from high school.

WA has a relatively large amount of HS programs at both public and private scores. You can cross-reference the athletes who went to the HS state meet with their JO/DP careers relatively easy by looking up names on mymeetscores. Most competed xcel silver and up or through DP level 7-8 in middle school or late elementary school, stopped the sport, and come back for HS. I can think of only one current athlete in Western WA who is competing DP for a club and HS simultaneously, and she’s a Level 9. I’m pretty sure she qualified for HS states but didn’t go because it overlapped with key DP meets.

HS gymnastics doesn’t get much hype in WA, but meets are mostly hosted at high schools so you’d still get that high school sport feel from competing. Based on the practices I’ve watched at local clubs, almost anyone is welcome on a team but you need to have level 7-8 skills to make the varsity meet lineup. I think most programs don’t formally split into JV/varsity- they practice together and varsity status is determined by making the lineup for meets.

Hi, I was wondering how competitive high school gymnastics and are the requirements for Jv and varsity. I heard from a lot of that high school gymnastics is like a high level rec team and is really laid back. Also does varsity gymnastics get as much hype as the other sports. How would high school gymnastics compare to the jo program? And can I get a scholarship and compete in d1 d2 with it, or do I need to do Jo?
Actually, how competitive high school gymnastics is will be dependent on the state you live in.
In Ohio, high school gym is basically Level 8, but with "high school bonus." However, we have had gymnasts that had only competed Xcel Gold, Xcel Platinum, or Level 6 before competing for the high school. We don't have "JV" and "Varsity" ... We just have the gymnastics team and varsity is based on a points system (points for compting an event, more points for placing, and I think there may be more ways, but I can't remember).

It varies based on the state in which you live. If you're willing to give that info, someone may be able to give you specifics. As far as college gymnastics, no, you could not be recruited solely from high school.
It does depend on the state. I coach in MN and our High School League gymnastics is pretty strong. Not uncommon for kids to be recruited (especially D3) out of the top programs. Some schools are more rigorous than others, but it is generally less structured than USGA programs-without the compulsories, kids can focus on their strongest events and skills. If you head down to the State meet, you'll see a few dozen level 9 equivalents sprinkled with a few that could make a run at 10. Often, these are club "refugees" that wanted to come compete for their schools, or kids that didn't make the club teams if they were weak in an event or two. One of the draws always seems to be the ability to be part of their school and compete in front of their friends. Every summer, we have a handful of club kids attend our Rec/HS camps and lessons to hang out with their buddies as well as work on some tricks that their club coaches won't let them work yet (shh!!) so they get exposed to the HS atmosphere-and many years one or two will make the switch.

I agree with the others that it depends. It sounds like you've had some responses from your area so that's good.

In NC, I have heard that it is roughly equivalent to Xcel Platinum. Most high schools in my area have teams, but they are usually only a few people on them. I think 3 are required to compete in the team category, but if there are only 1 or 2, they can still compete as individuals. JV versus Varsity I think depends on your skills, but I'm not entirely sure. I believe the vast majority of the gymnasts that compete in high school in my county are either current or former club gymnasts. pretty split between xcel and dp. Often the highest/winning scores are by current level 10s, I admit it feels a little "unfair" to me, but that is how it works. My daughter is planning on joining next year and she is a level 10. Although her school might not have a lot of gymnasts, a lot of the local teams train together so she is looking forward to that. And she wants to participate in something at her high school, which she doesn't have a lot of time for since she trains 5 hours a day every day after school. I think there is a skill cap though, so the level 10s will not be competing their level 10 skills in general.. I've heard vault can be challenging for this reason. And in NC, no you don't get recruited from high school gymnastics. But there are some recruited athletes that might be competing for their high school in addition to club.

It does depend on the state. I coach in MN and our High School League gymnastics is pretty strong. Not uncommon for kids to be recruited (especially D3) out of the top programs. Some schools are more rigorous than others, but it is generally less structured than USGA programs-without the compulsories, kids can focus on their strongest events and skills. If you head down to the State meet, you'll see a few dozen level 9 equivalents sprinkled with a few that could make a run at 10. Often, these are club "refugees" that wanted to come compete for their schools, or kids that didn't make the club teams if they were weak in an event or two. One of the draws always seems to be the ability to be part of their school and compete in front of their friends. Every summer, we have a handful of club kids attend our Rec/HS camps and lessons to hang out with their buddies as well as work on some tricks that their club coaches won't let them work yet (shh!!) so they get exposed to the HS atmosphere-and many years one or two will make the switch.
Interesting. You have a lot of D3 in your area so that makes sense. Do they train year round at their high schools? In most states, HS gymnastics is a seasonal sport so unless a gymnast is a team member in a club, it would be unusual for them would be able to gain and maintain L9/10 skills while training just a few months a year, which is why the level usually tops around platinum level.

Interesting. You have a lot of D3 in your area so that makes sense. Do they train year round at their high schools? In most states, HS gymnastics is a seasonal sport so unless a gymnast is a team member in a club, it would be unusual for them would be able to gain and maintain L9/10 skills while training just a few months a year, which is why the level usually tops around platinum level.
Like I said, many were on club teams and came over for a variety of reasons. Others work their way up through our rec programs and spend hundreds of hours a year with us from the time they are in pre-school. One big difference for us is that kids can specialize- they could compete a level 9 (equivalent) vault without being the same level in all events. As for our kids in our gym, we can work with our kids during the summer as well, so we get them for 7 months of the year. In the off-season, many are in other sports, but those that have time will travel to clubs to train. We have kids from surrounding schools come to train at our gym with an advanced class as part of our rec program, and many of ours go to a couple of nearby high school "clubs" to train. As you could probably guess-this makes for a unique mix of competition and camaraderie among kids and coaches, especially out-state.

How competitive will not only depend on the state but on the section.

In NYS, the start values are based on a modified Level 9 For HS. Based on those start values it’s not unusual for girls to score 5, 6, and 7s.

In our section my daughter is a USAG L8/9 . She is a section cham for various events for 3 years now. Her toughest competition in our section is another L9. They go to HS states as AA competitors for our section. In NYS the top 6 per event got to sections, the top 3 compete AA. So the rest of our section has girls doing FHS vaults, L5 or lower bar, floor and beams.

0ur top 3 AA who are strong L8/9 Gymnasts get trounced because other sections have multi year L9/10 USAG National qualifiers competiing. even though my daughter gets trounced at states she loves it. She says it’s like being at a college meet.

It is what it is. When you understand how high the expectation is I admire kids who don’t do club gym and give it their best shot and get 5, 6, and 7. We had a girl on our team who hates/fears bars, but due to team injuries she competed bars. She was thrilled with a 3. And we were thrilled for her. it took a lot for her to even do it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it would be unlikely you could compete NCAA without high level (L10) skills

And can I get a scholarship and compete in d1 d2 with it, or do I need to do Jo?

I recently finished a survey of all of the athletes on the upcoming 2024 season NCAA rosters, and there were maybe 4 or 5 athletes who apparently competed only HS gymnastics, with no club history. All were in D3 schools.

I recently finished a survey of all of the athletes on the upcoming 2024 season NCAA rosters, and there were maybe 4 or 5 athletes who apparently competed only HS gymnastics, with no club history. All were in D3 schools.
I would be rather skeptical of that. Perhaps they competed under a different name, different spellings, nick names etc… or competed in an organization other than USAG. For instance IGC which my daughter also competed along with USAG, typically doesn’t always use meet scores. Those competitions dont show on her meet scores profile. Or are they perhaps even from outside the US. Or even well connected to the school/gymnastics program and coached privately through the years. Like gymnastics is the family business

I can confirm, there are a few. Mostly in NCGA East and on the teams that seem to compete for last place in the rankings.

I can confirm, there are a few. Mostly in NCGA East and on the teams that seem to compete for last place in the ranking
Surprised in the east. Would have thought with the previous replies about MN, it would have been in the west.

My high school didn't have a gymnastics program at all, zero equipment. There was a club that taught a few things. Frankly, the cheerleaders were closer to being gymnasts than the club was.

Warning: In other sports in high school the coach often doesn't have any qualifications at all for the sport. When I started teaching, one interview said "You will be teaching, 10,11,12 math, and will also coach the basketball team." I have maybe played a dozen pickup games of basketball in my life. This is not rare. (I declined the job.)

This is one reason that the highest risk 'standard' sport is high school football with a rash of deaths and life changing disabilities every year. Coaches don't have good training coupled with insufficient time to get kids in the physical condition they need to be.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back