WAG humble and modest gymnasts

• Thread starter Deleted member 26744
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@LittleGardener - the problem people are having with your posts is not that you dislike selfies and plastic surgery. It's that you equate participating in these activities with not being humble or time/money wasted on the self when they could be contributing to the better of society. You single out specific individuals as 'proof' when you don't know the full story.

For example, you specifically cited Simone's mom talking about the defective bronze medal from Rio as 'proof' that she was not humble or thankful of her kid's success. There actually was a problem with the bronze medals fro Rio that affected not just Simone, but dozens of others. You have cited Simone's speaking out on social media during a difficult time in her life as 'proof' that she is not humble and seeking some sort of personal gain. She has been an advocate for causes that she is passionate about over the years (children in the foster care system, abuse in gymnastics, etc) and until last week most people in the world had no clue that 1. vestibular problems are a thing and 2. it can affect elite athletes.

You just commented on Shannon Miller's appearance and then implied that she should 'do better' in the world instead of focusing on her self. She has a foundation focused on childhood obesity and is active in efforts for cancer research and women's health. I found it offensive that you not only commented on her appearance but also what you offer up as 'proof' of a lack of humility is just plain wrong.

Finally, you are on a gymnastics discussion board that is primarily made up of parents and coaches. Many here have direct knowledge/experience with athletes performing at the highest levels of the sport. Some, like me, sought out this board looking for ways to better support their child in this crazy sport. Perhaps read the room and take a moment to self-reflect on your contributions so far to this conversation and why they rub so many the wrong way (which is NOT because you hate selfie culture).

Shannon Miller had cancer, underwent treatment, lost her hair and has been candid about her experiences. I wouldn’t really lump her into a “shallow and vapid” bucket since you assume she has plastic surgery.

Personally, I’m a big fan of plastic surgery I also post exactly zero selfies because I work in marketing and after a decade of working other people’s social media… the last thing I want to do is work my own.

you’re trying to correlate really random things together here.

Like super random.

it’s left the topic of gymnasts completely, but back to gymnasts - these girls spend every single day in a Leo, hair in a messy bun, covered in sweat, chalk and bruises, usually taped up on an ankle or wrist with no jewelry, no make up (or very minimal make up). Do you know how excited they get when they see each other at their banquets dressed up fancy with their hair down wearing actual shoes and clothes??? This is kids under 10. For teenagers, self consciousness is even more real. They want to feel attractive too. So yeah, there’s getting dressed up and posing because seriously… they can’t even wear dangly earrings on a daily basis!

Let people have fun however they want if it’s not hurting you

I think most of social media (especially: if it's connected to anyone remotely in the public eye with an interest in capitalizing off-of "branding themselves") tends to be totally fake and, in all actuality: nothing but PR agencies writing scripted responses and buying trollbot accounts to amplify whatever the selling point is supposed to be for ongoing attention. It serves the purpose of jamming search engine indicies to appear like there's "only" a one-world opinion. The business model of American digital media does not know how to make money any other way than to now make "news" a consumer product. They are monopolized advertising companies.

Twitter and Facebook, in my estimation, are toxic frauds at their core just meant to serve the agenda of whomever IS PAYING for a certain message. All these alleged profiles or "influencers" where; the "person" 80% of the time is (obviously) photoshopped beyond real (like someone, literally, cut-out different facial features and stuck them onto somebody else's neck??? COME ON!!!); or: they'll hold a phone camera up to old photographs (usually stolen from a thrift shop) and, say it's either themselves or it's some anniversary event concerning their parents(?)....are what these platforms are dominated by ten-times WORSE today than the way I experienced being on them (last) around 2016. None of it is honestly worth a second of anyone's time if they truly care about their mind, body, and soul.

As I started getting older while I was still participating in the sport, my role models became the amazing collegiate women I'd learn about when CBS showed the old Super Six on national tv every first weekend of May. Even though I can still to this day remember where, for example, I would have been watching the 2004 Visas (and what the weather in the NY/NJ Metro area was like outside that February weekend!), as much as I (obviously) had an interest in paying attention to them (*BEFORE the era of social media really would've skyrocketed*): this may sound like a bizarro view (maybe, I suppose?, it's just from having been raised an only child or being an astrological Scorpio --- LOL), I would not have then expected Carly, Shawn, Alicia, Nastia, Rebecca, Courtney McC. (although, her beam routines were always compelling), etc. to tell the forever creepy Al Trautwig what the great mysteries of life were about. When you're 18 (at least, apparently, back when it wasn't closer to acting 12), somebody the ages they were then (however incredibly blessed with all-universe talent they were) was just a kid like a cloying younger sibling.

The ex-collegiate gymnasts, on the other hand, are either harrowing survivors (like Maggie Nichols or Jamie Dantzscher) or they just retire to being "normal people" out of the spotlight working in the real world. I respect that kind of career path a lot more than the way we (the U.S.) have turned the Olympics into a reality show.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back