Hurdles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

moimoi16

Coach
I am a new coach, and i'm having a really tough time teaching my beginner class how to hurdle properly before jumping off the springboard. Most of them can do it proper if they are not running and doing it in slow steps, but as soon as they try and jump off the spring board it all goes wrong. Some of them run right over the board, other do two foot jumps before the board, and on... its a mess. Does anyone have any helpful hints, or drills to make this easier to teach, and easier for my class to comprehend?

We start on the floor doing step - jump across the floor, then we do step-jump-jump-land in motocycle across the floor.
then we move to spring board (just on the floor, no height) put some sort of marker on the edge of the springboard (where they need to hit 2 feet). We use a ladybug mat. Then start without the run with one foot on the board (assuming they're little) and jump to 2feet, then have them start back a step, then 2 steps, etc...when they're getting them from a few steps they an start running (VERY short run), if they miss they move closer, if they hit they can move back. We also use star jumps off the board - some kids find it easier to remember 2feet with star jumps since it's harder to do from 1 foot.

Hope this helps...we have a monkey on our smaller springboard so I tell the children that he's been a bad monkey because he took our bananas. I tell them to run & jump on the monkey with 2 feet together & reach up to grab their bananas back. This usually works b/c they are usually concentrating on reaching up to get their "bananas" back so the hurdle just happens. I do this with all of my rec classes ages 3 to 7. I also make them do step hurdle w/ an underarm swing onto felt squares(to simulate the springboard) down the floor for extra practice.

We use a hoola-hoop and put it infront of a mat. Then we tell them to splash in the mud puddle and slap the mat. Its not as good as the monkey story... but it works.

I have also just let them go with it. They should eventually figure it out. Patience is the key.

I am a new coach, and i'm having a really tough time teaching my beginner class how to hurdle properly before jumping off the springboard. Most of them can do it proper if they are not running and doing it in slow steps, but as soon as they try and jump off the spring board it all goes wrong. Some of them run right over the board, other do two foot jumps before the board, and on... its a mess. Does anyone have any helpful hints, or drills to make this easier to teach, and easier for my class to comprehend?

Most kids naturally respond when told to step ON something rather than over or around or before or after something. If you put a shape, carpet square or flat mat of some kind on the floor in front of the board where you want their last step to go, then you can have them step on the object with one foot before they hit the board with both feet.

It usually works if you add one step at a time by moving them back one step once a week or so the shorter the run, the better to start. A hurdle is actually a pretty complicated movement for a beginner, so you're going to have to be patient.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back