WAG Hw to calculate caloric needs for younger gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muscle is more dense than fat. 3x as much. She sounds pretty tall for her age but weight sounds about right.

Toootsie - my 6 year, 3 month old daughter is 48 inches (4 ft) tall and is 56 pounds. She's solid muscle though. It's crazy her muscle tone and definition. I'm jealous. A ton of time in the gym and I've never achieved that definition. *sigh*

So you're not alone. :)

If she is a milk drinker, you might want to consider switching to whole milk and whole milk dairy products if you aren't already using them. "Reduced fat" cheeses, yogurts, cottage cheese, etc. are all the rage and seem to make up most of the dairy case at the grocery store, but whole milk products can be a really great thing. It's essentially the same nutrient make-up as the reduced fat varieties, but more calories, and I was once told by a psychologist that the extra milk fat is good for brain development and function which is ideal for growing kids.
If you don't already, I would suggest keeping a snack box with ready to eat type snacks at the ready for your DD- maybe even one in the car and one at home with both shelf stable and refrigerated foods which might be appealing. That way if she's more of a grazer there will be plenty available to maybe spark her interest if she feels the slightest bit of hunger. Granola bars, peanut or almond butter packets with crackers/pretzels/bagels, cheese sticks, yogurts, Ensure type drinks, and even some more treat like foods if that's what it takes to encourage her to eat. Clif Bars make a kids version called Z Bars with kid friendly flavors. Just make sure there is lots available for her that's easy to eat and easy to get to.

Gymbee I think it's good to be proactive, but I honestly wouldn't worry about her weight. It sounds normal to me. DD is a little younger, similar height (49 inches I think) and only 48-50lbs. I don't think of her has being too thin at all. I find she isn't a big eater, but eats when she is hungry. She will even come home after practice sometimes and not eat much. I just let her follow her own instincts. As long as she is growing fine, I wouldn't be concerned. I worry more about sleep than food. I can't ever seem to get her enough sleep.

Our pediatrician told my little one that she was square at her check up. Weighing 48 pounds and measuring 48 inches. DD was unamused until we played her the song "Hip to be square".

Our pediatrician told my little one that she was square at her check up. Weighing 48 pounds and measuring 48 inches. DD was unamused until we played her the song "Hip to be square".

Bogwoppit, how old is your dd if you don't mind me asking. My dd is 49 inches 53 lbs and ten years old. Even though we have had growth testing done on her (at pediatrician's request) and it was normal, they are always scrutinizing her at the check ups. I always think it is a bit too alarmist considering I am 5'1" and hubby is 5'4". Just curious.

Bogwoppit, how old is your dd if you don't mind me asking. My dd is 49 inches 53 lbs and ten years old. Even though we have had growth testing done on her (at pediatrician's request) and it was normal, they are always scrutinizing her at the check ups. I always think it is a bit too alarmist considering I am 5'1" and hubby is 5'4". Just curious.

Now she is 16, soon to be 17. 5'6" and 125 pounds. We are 5'6" and 5' 10". She was six years old at that fateful appointment. So she is where she should be based on our heights.

as neither you or your hubby are tall your dd sounds about right for her age.

So I guess my kids being heavier probably means they have more muscles? I don't know. They don't look any bigger than the kids on their teams who weigh less. And they also have a lot of muscle definition.

Makes me feel better bog. When I took my daughters to their pediatrician she told me to switch them to non fat milk. I thought that was insane, seeing they are kids and eat so little already. I try to get my girls to drink 2 glasses of whole milk a day :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back