WAG I am doing an exchange semester in the US and have basic question about USAG system

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flaviatumbles

Hello dear Community!

I am 16 and I am going to do an exchange year in the USA in January.

I started gym at age 5 until age 10. Then I quit and started again 2 years ago.
Of course, I want to train in the US too. The last few weeks I read a lot about the USAG system etc and I found out that gymnastics is soooo popular in the States and there are so many good girls compared to my country...we have very few good gymnasts!

Anyways, I know wanted to ask you which level strength and skills wise I would be in the US.

Here are my skills:

Strength:
8-10 pull-ups
20ft rope climb in straddle
10 90 degree leg lifts
15-20 full leg lifts
15 Dips
10 Pike Push-Ups
5s V-Sit
1 straddle press handstand
1 standing pike press

Kicks/Jumps/Leaps/Turns:
Split Jump 180 degree
Split Leap 180 degree
needle kick 180 degree
full turn

Flexibility:
front oversplits of 8 inches
almost middle split
pancake stretch 8 inch oversplit
bridge (armpits 3 inches past vertical)

Skills:

BB:
V-Sit Mount, Needle Kick, Back Handspring, Split Leap, Full Turn, Back Handspring Chest Roll, Press Handstand, Straddle Jump-Split Jump, Back Tuck, Carthweel Back Tuck Dismount

UB:
Kip Straddle Cast Handstand, Stalder almost to Handstand, Toe Circle Jump to High Bar, Straddle Cast Handstand, Free Hip to Handstand, Giant Giant, Flyaway

VT:
Front Handspring
Tsukahara into pit

FX:
RO BH BL
RO BH BT
Side Aerial
Front Tuck Front Tuck
Front Layout

INTO PIT:
Back Twist
Front Twist
Double Back
Double Front

Where in the USAG system would I be? L6?
Do you think I should work on flexibilty and strength until January or is it enough for the skills I am doing?
I am not really looking for gaining more skills... I am really scared of twisting and landing my tsuk and as I am not competing, I am fine with flipping into the pit!

And I have one more question: Obviously, gymnastics, especially WAG, is more a children's sport. I think this is even more in the US than in my country.

So of all gymnasts in the US; are there a lot of gymnasts who are older than 16 who are still pretty good (L7 or higher) in the sport
not considering Elites?
Let's say there are 10 gymnasts at L7+ higher in the US, how many of them would be 16 and older?

I appreciate everyone's opinion.

PS: Please overlook any grammar or spelling mistakes - my English is not that good but will hopefully improve during my exchange year!

Yours,
Flavia

At a quick glance I would say L7 also. :) at lots of gyms, especially small/medium ones, you will probably find that all the optional girls workout together in a group. That means you'll likely have girls from 9-10yo all the way up to 18yo in one group. There are girls who move through quickly, and girls who take a little longer. I think the age range for L7 at our gym is 9-15 right now, and L8 has girls between 12-16 just to give you a comparison.
Good luck and have a great year here in the US!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back