Parents I am the CGM

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was your daughter. I did prep-opt, a non-nationalized pre xcel program. I never competed bars, and I consistently scored the lowest on the team. I never had an aa higher than a 25.8. Just like your daughter, at age 9, I had no real concern for my scores. I don't think I really understood what they meant. All I know is that I was just thrilled to be doing gymnastics. Now, I am competing xcel gold, and I am the regional floor champion.
What I'm saying is that you aren't being a CGM. If your daughter loves what she does, then the work ethic and friendships will mean way more in the future than making level 3 states at age 8. I know how hard it is, hang in there! Her hard work will take her far.

She's very young. You can play it by ear and I do NOT think that winning should be the goal in deciding what skills to train, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with repeating a level that your kid didn't hit proficiency with. So I'd just see how it goes this year. The ideal place to train is probably around the middle of the pack. But obviously in a group training environment not everyone gets that place.

Awesome! Now do your DD a favor and don't post on here next year about how she was the lowest scoring level 5, but comes out with a smile. Everyone, and I mean everyone deserves a little success. I mean that in the kindest way. :)

what?!? that is so wrong. :mad:
in MA they only have to compete at 2 meets. my dd's 1st year in gymnastics was as a non compete as she'd never really done it before, minus a few weeks in a rec class a couple of years earlier and a mommy and me class as a toddler. lol. she picked up the majority of the skills quickly so they let her compete the last 2 meets so she could go to states with the rest of the team. also, i think here in MA you only need a 32.5 to make it to states for most levels. i don't understand the wide variance on stuff like that in the USAG. i would think it would all be uniform across states.

In our state, JO (USAG) compulsory have to score a 32 AA twice to qualify to state, AAU is a 29 AA. Every state sets their own requirements, per the code.

In our state, JO (USAG) compulsory have to score a 32 AA twice to qualify to state, AAU is a 29 AA. Every state sets their own requirements, per the code.

In our state, for level 3 and 4 you have to score a 32 AA in 2 meets to qualify to SECTIONALS. Then, at sectionals you have to score a 35.5 or higher to qualify to States. And let me tell you, at this point in the season, that seems pretty impossible. Lol. We'll see...

i'm curious why she did not make it to states as a level 3? i thought all level 3s just had to compete 2 meets and that was the requirement for states. is that not country wide?
I think in our state you need an AA in a USAG meet of a 32 minimum. And our gym bumped that to 36 for our team to go...

Well,here's my 2 cents.My daughter fell of high bar in December and broke both arms.One arm had a rod put in.Bye-bye competition season.She just had the rod removed last week and everything is healing well.But it will be a long road.

At first,it was hard to know this sport did this to my daughter.I tried to talk her out of gymnastics and try something new.She won't.I don't really know if she'll come back the same as she was or just quit.So now the competitions just don't seem that big a deal now.I just want her to be happy and if gymnastics is that for her,great.If not,that's ok too.When it's all over,I hope she can look back at her time in the sport with fond memories.

In our state, for level 3 and 4 you have to score a 32 AA in 2 meets to qualify to SECTIONALS. Then, at sectionals you have to score a 35.5 or higher to qualify to States. And let me tell you, at this point in the season, that seems pretty impossible. Lol. We'll see...
curious what state you are in, if you don't mind? that seems like they are making it unnecessarily hard for kids to get to states. for levels 4 and up i think they need to score a 32.5, twice, to get to states. which i think is reasonable. that gives kids that may not have done well during the year the opportunity to go to states and get the state pin and certificate.
i'm finding it very interesting how the states do it so differently. i am very happy with our state's policies! the girls may not get a medal or trophy all year but unless they are injured, the vast majority go to states.

wow, that seems harsh to me. do any of your girls not go to states b/c of that?

My kiddo is only lvl 3 and lvl 2 and 3 compete xcel bronze and silver (respectively) for some reason - the gym does not send girls to states until they reach lvl 4. I was told that all of the level 4 girls made it to states but that one level 5 did not because of the 36 requirement, so I guess they do stick to it. I recently posted on here about our gym's requirements to get to lvl 4 and got a lot of interesting feedback...I'm starting to think that perhaps our gym is a little bit nuts. That said, it turns out that our state required a 34.5, not a 32 as I thought. The 32 apparently was only for xcel gymnasts to qualify.

My kiddo is only lvl 3 and lvl 2 and 3 compete xcel bronze and silver (respectively) for some reason - the gym does not send girls to states until they reach lvl 4. I was told that all of the level 4 girls made it to states but that one level 5 did not because of the 36 requirement, so I guess they do stick to it. I recently posted on here about our gym's requirements to get to lvl 4 and got a lot of interesting feedback...I'm starting to think that perhaps our gym is a little bit nuts. That said, it turns out that our state required a 34.5, not a 32 as I thought. The 32 apparently was only for xcel gymnasts to qualify.

our gym won't allow girls to move up until they meet a certain score criteria (which is higher than our state requirement) and are ready with current skills or if they compete 2 years in their current level. even after competing 2 years in a level, some might be directed to the excel program.
also, our gym has certain requirements for competing optionals levels that are above the state's requirements. but if they meet the state's requirements for the state meet, they go.

honestly, i think your gym's rule on letting girls go to states is extreme. it's states in the JO program, not a path to the olympics. the girls have worked hard all year and if they made the state's requirements, it's mean to take that away from them.

I agree with @e'smum If the gym has a certain requirements to move up, that's one thing. Not allowing them to go to States after they have achieved the score required BY the state seems harsh. Kind of seems like the gym wants to portray a certain image and values that above all else.

curious what state you are in, if you don't mind? that seems like they are making it unnecessarily hard for kids to get to states. for levels 4 and up i think they need to score a 32.5, twice, to get to states. which i think is reasonable. that gives kids that may not have done well during the year the opportunity to go to states and get the state pin and certificate.
i'm finding it very interesting how the states do it so differently. i am very happy with our state's policies! the girls may not get a medal or trophy all year but unless they are injured, the vast majority go to states.

There are so many gymnasts in our state that they have to keep the state meet down to a reasonable amount of time. Most JO state meets are 3 days long already. I don't know how to word it except to say that they raised the qualifications to get to state so that . . . the gymnasts not . . . up to competition level . . . You get it. I don't want to type it out because I don't want to get blasted. I would say the majority of the gymnasts in the state qualify to the state meet. (there are no sectionals here, but there may be someday the way the program is growing every year.)

Well that is true, @GAgymmom . In our state (NY) a 32 qualifies you to states for most levels (some a bit higher). I would say that a 32 is "not up to competition level". Maybe a 34 would be a little more appropriate?

So interest
Well that is true, @GAgymmom . In our state (NY) a 32 qualifies you to states for most levels (some a bit higher). I would say that a 32 is "not up to competition level". Maybe a 34 would be a little more appropriate?
ing,
From Canada, but for our province at least, it is not a specific score, it is placement from a qualifier meet. 1 shot, top 8 each from Northern and Southern each age division. Last year, Level 7, to make it to provincials, the lowest score in the top 8 was 35.225

Just wanted to give an update and thank everyone for the encouragement! My DD has made some great progress since posting this she still is the lowest aa scorer on her team however we are celebrating finally getting over the vault with out double blocking and breaking into the 8's also got her highest beam score of 8.80 and has finally got a nice round off double back handspring with a good rebound! She didn't make states but had he highest aa of 32.25 so was very close! She was the only one on the team that didn't make it yet she seemed to take it pretty well and was still smiling after the last! She knows she just needs to continue to work harder and we have drilled into her celebrating the improvements not the placing! I think this sport is teaching me just as much as it is teaching her!

Congratulations! How wonderful for her that her commitment is paying off! I know not making states is a letdown in some ways, but I'm glad she is taking it in stride. And AMEN to your last sentence, ain't that the truth for all of us!

At age 8, it's better character-building imo to be the worst one on the team vs. the best. Too many issues when you're the best at an early age. Better to be the one who has to work hard for anything you get. Will have an easier and more successful transition to the real world ;)

I agree with this times a 1000!

My DD had a rough lvl 4 yr. I can certainly understand the OP's mention of meets being so draining. Our problem was more age group though. Its a very tough age group, 9.225 would be good enough for 10th on beam. My DD missed placing by .05 3 times this year. Sure she placed in events but not as much as a lvl 3. Its tough but I saw her grow in ways that no award or medal could give her.

This sport is really amazing to me. When I hear people complaining about the "everybody deserves a medal" world we live in, I shake my head. Because I don't think that has come to this sport. I feel all the awards and medals in this sport are earned. Unless you are the only one in your age group. lol

Pretty amazing what our kids can do and overcome.

Well my kid just told me that she is so grateful I am not a cgm...because she would quit the sport...as frustrated as she gets with me for not knowing what stuff is, she is also grateful I don't critique her, don't coach her, and that I am there for her when she needs me. She has been very grateful that I listen to what she needs. It is always nice to get a notch on the mommy card. :)

And yes, the medals for everyone is just ridiculous....I remember back in the day they gave two girls on her team medals for an event they didn't even do!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back