I can’t seem to set well in my standing back tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lc.rey

Gymnast
I can do it off of a four panel mat, but I’ve watched my videos and my arms do not go up at all in my set. I don’t know how I’m making it over, but my form is very bad and I want to fix this. Here is my issue, whenever I do jump up and set properly, I don’t rotate very fast, and I don’t land it. And, if I rotate well, my set was not good. I feel that I do not have enough time to get my arms up in my set. I think I’m jumping enough. My direction (up) seems good too because I land very close to the place I started from. Any strategies or drills I can use that might help me? Any help is appreciated.

Have you tried jumping and tucking onto a big mat or block. This helped my daughter a lot when she was struggling to set.

In a back tuck we are taught to go straight up for the set, but often that results in the hips not doing what they’re supposed to unless you’re told. Despite the common method of landing in the same exact spot, you’ll likely move just a bit, albeit you don’t want more than the space of your feet. This is because in a backtuck the hips have to be pressed in the set, giving a very very subtle arch in the back. Dry very subtle. The motion from the pressed hips into the tuck with your knees coming through your set, results in the speed of the actual tuck. If you are setting up all the way, your hips may not be pressed, instead more of a hollow feel, and when you tuck, there is no potential energy built up from that, making for a very slow tuck. It would be easier to see a video, that’s just one of the many things that could be going on. You also could be dropping your arms to grab your tuck, which would reverse the momentum of the flip and cause it to slow drastically.
but it sounds like you have good rotations when the set is thrown back incorrectly, meaning you are in “Squeezed” “pressed” or “arched“ position before the tuck, which builds up potential energy, like a rubber band being pulled backbefore letting it go. You want that slight squeeze of the hips, but not at the expense of your head going back, or your back over arching out You also may have an incorrect angle from your knees. If your standing tuck has an acute angle in your knees, that will want to be changed to somewhere between a right angle to a slightly obtuse angle, this way your tuck has better speed, and you land with your feet under you vs behind your center of gravity. That is considered a “cheat” or “hack” by many,as a completely correct tuck requires something a small bit different, but it each it this way and students do well here with their standing tucks. It takes time to build the necessary strength and power to give a perfect ten tuck.
as for drills, do some back tucked rolls Making sure you aren’t landing in your knees. Only goes., then stack some mats about shoulder height, with maybe an incline at the top, straight jump and pull the backward roll at the top. Work toward making sure you initiate the tuck at the apex of the jump, and when you are touching the mat for the backward roll, you shouldbe landing on your shoulder blades /upper back first. Your chin should be tucked, but only from the lower body pulling up and your chest coming to your chin, not your chin going down to your chest.
‘again, hard to know the exact problem without seeing, make sure you feel your hips pressing outward some on the takeoff to build up the energy for the rotation speed when you tuck. Again. Hard to know without seeing it, but this may be of some help? Hope so!
-Coach Will

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back