I can’t tuck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastgrac

Gymnast
So I can do a standing backtuck on the trampoline. And one day I got my mattress out and tried to do my back tuck on there. I did it pretty well- I would jump up and then tuck, but I would land on my toes/knees/face. I had some fails where I landed on my neck. They didn’t hurt and I got up and kept trying. But, the next day, I wasn’t able to jump up and tuck. My body is too scared now. I do it off of my folded airtrack, and I put my hands down last second and I land on my toes. But, I can’t tuck. I’m very sure that if I could tuck, I could land it easily, for I have a very consistent and strong backhandspring. Any tips? I really want to get out of the mental block of tucking!

And that is EXACTLY the reason all the people on here will tell you no gymnastics at home. Back tucks are dangerous if done incorrectly, and only a trained coach can spot those tiny mistakes. My advice: ask your coach and keep the gymnastics at home limited to strength, flexibility and handstands

A tucked back somersault is nothing whatsoever like a back handspring. It's an entirely different take off. So in fact your confidence that tucking would give you a proper back somersault landing because you have a back handspring shows entirely the opposite. It very strongly implies that your technique is fundamentally wrong and you are in real danger of breaking your neck. Just because you landed on your head and didn't get hurt doesn't mean you won't next time. You've just been lucky so far, but your luck can't hold if you keep pushing it like that. In future don't be lucky, be smart. Learn with a coach and proper progressions instead of drilling bad technique until you injure yourself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back