i dont know what to do,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i just dont know what to do, im 16 years old and really enjoy gymnastics, like really, i spend all my spare moments practicing or watching videos.
the only problem is, im only just in level 2 :confused:

i started artistic gymnastics at the end of last year, but i previously did tumbling classes, they put me straight in and trailed me in level 1 and i ended up staying there but my skills are a bit all over the place at the moment, then i finally got moved up too level 2 at the end of the year, but to make matters worse, i then had to move states and i have to start a new gym, but i think im just too old now :( which really upsets me, because i love being in the gym and i love doing competitions! as i did a few rec ones last year,

do you think im just to old to be a competitive gymnast? should i apply for another gym? i know ill never be an elite or go to the olympics! but i really just love the sport!

advice, please?!

Well I am 16 and competing and i don't feel old? why should you? go for it!! I started at the end of 2009 and have had a ball if you love it do it!! If you moved states you just need to find a gym go for it!! I don't know about you but 16 isn't old IMOH! And if you love doing competitions just go for it!! Who cares what anyone else thinks!!

i just dont know what to do, im 16 years old and really enjoy gymnastics, like really, i spend all my spare moments practicing or watching videos.
the only problem is, im only just in level 2 :confused:

i started artistic gymnastics at the end of last year, but i previously did tumbling classes, they put me straight in and trailed me in level 1 and i ended up staying there but my skills are a bit all over the place at the moment, then i finally got moved up too level 2 at the end of the year, but to make matters worse, i then had to move states and i have to start a new gym, but i think im just too old now :( which really upsets me, because i love being in the gym and i love doing competitions! as i did a few rec ones last year,

do you think im just to old to be a competitive gymnast? should i apply for another gym? i know ill never be an elite or go to the olympics! but i really just love the sport!

advice, please?!

If you love to do it why make your age a reason to stop?? you're not too old. Always follow your dreams and your heart and do the things you love. Heck I'm thinking of starting Karate and I'm sure I'll be with the preschoolers and I'm a mom older than dirt LOL. It's something I've always wanted to do so I think this spring I'm going for it.

If you love it, please please please please please don't quit just because of your age.

Elite isn't the be all and end all of this sport. Far from it. Gymnastics needs love, it needs hard workers, it needs people of all levels & ages & all sorts of other things to thrive.

If I had a 16 year old walk in & work hard & learn the skills, I know I'd let her compete. You aren't remotely near too old and please don't believe it if anyone tries to tell you that you are. Yours will be a different story, not a wrong one.

Your age is definitely not the reason to quit gymnastics, the levels are not about age, they are about how long you have been training and the skills you have. If you have only just started last year then level 2 means you are making progress as you should. There is no ideal age for any level.

As for going in competition a lot will depend on which gymnastics club you are going too. I see you are in Queensland. Queensland does not have a state stream, just the national and international stream. A lot will depend on what club you go to. Many of the highly competitive clubs would not allow you to compete, as at general sanctioned competitions there are no teenagers competing level 2. There are quite a few competing about level 4 and above so some clubs may expect you to reach level 4 at least before competing.

Some clubs, do non sanctioned competitions instead and these often have teenagers at the lower levels. If you want to send me a private message as to what club/clubs you are looking to attend or what area you are in, I could let you know which clubs to look at if you want to compete.

I think it is great that you enjoy gymnastics so much! You are definitely not too old! It looks like you could be on track to reach level 4 before your senior year and then you could do at least some competing. I'm not sure about Aussie, but here in the US some colleges have club gymnastics that do competitions and all skill levels are welcome!

I think it is great that you enjoy gymnastics so much! You are definitely not too old! It looks like you could be on track to reach level 4 before your senior year and then you could do at least some competing. I'm not sure about Aussie, but here in the US some colleges have club gymnastics that do competitions and all skill levels are welcome!

We don't have college in Australia and we don't have college gymnastics. There is no need to reach a certain level by senior year because kids don't "graduate" from their gym clubs here. If they are still training in their last year of school they usually keep training and competing at their regular gymnastics clubs after they have graduated High school. Most students go to university locally and live at home while they study so they can keep doing what ever they were doing while they were at school.

In the USA they have more expensive insurance for adults to do gymnastics so many clubs don't offer it. But in Australia it is the same cost to insure adults as kids, so almost ALL clubs in Australia offer gymnastics for adults. There is never a problem finding a club that offers great gymnastics classes for older teens and adults. The only problem is finding clubs that have low level competition teams with these ages on their teams.

We don't have college in Australia and we don't have college gymnastics. There is no need to reach a certain level by senior year because kids don't "graduate" from their gym clubs here. If they are still training in their last year of school they usually keep training and competing at their regular gymnastics clubs after they have graduated High school. Most students go to university locally and live at home while they study so they can keep doing what ever they were doing while they were at school.

In the USA they have more expensive insurance for adults to do gymnastics so many clubs don't offer it. But in Australia it is the same cost to insure adults as kids, so almost ALL clubs in Australia offer gymnastics for adults. There is never a problem finding a club that offers great gymnastics classes for older teens and adults. The only problem is finding clubs that have low level competition teams with these ages on their teams.

Thanks for the info! That is really great! I wish that high school grads could keep training at their clubs here in the US!

I've always found it strange that they can't. Surely a good percentage of kids don't go away to college. It seems so odd that graduating from school means graduating from gymnastics too. Also why the extra insurance for adults? Something else I have always wondered, they are really in a lot less danger of being hurt than many of the kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back