WAG I just don't know what to do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastics can seem like work sometimes. However it should never be done out of financial reasons. The sport is hard on a teenagers body and furthermore even dangerous when not done with all your heart in it, especially at this level. As a parent my childrens health and happieness would be the priority.

Thank you for all of your opinions, suggestions, thoughts, etc. I don't know if this makes me a bad person, but the thought of how the younger kids would see it wasn't of importance to me... I haven't done gymnastics this long to please others. About the financial situation of college, well lots of non gymnasts make it work, don't they? I am a straight A student, and a minority, I'm also a hard worker and have many interests that would look great to colleges. Besides, a gymnastics college scholarship isn't even guaranteed.

Thank you for all of your opinions, suggestions, thoughts, etc. I don't know if this makes me a bad person, but the thought of how the younger kids would see it wasn't of importance to me... I haven't done gymnastics this long to please others. About the financial situation of college, well lots of non gymnasts make it work, don't they? I am a straight A student, and a minority, I'm also a hard worker and have many interests that would look great to colleges. Besides, a gymnastics college scholarship isn't even guaranteed.

Flipomaniak,
My dd has had some great role models for her at her gym. However, probably the best role model she has was her team "big sister" her first year of team. 2 years later she "retired" from gymnastics as a junior. She went on to join a dance team which gave her much joy. She is now in college achieving great things, using all the lessons she has learned in this sport to help her. Someday my dd is going to decide to be done with gymnastics. At that time I will point to this girl as a great role model of how to move on from the sport, taking all the lessons learned with you.
As far as college goes, yes, there are lots of scholarships and grant money out there and ways to make it work. In fact, there are far more academic and merit scholarships out there than there are gymnastics scholarships.

Gymnastics is expensive if you stopped and your parents put the money they would have paid to do gymnastics into a college fund it very well could pay for college. So don't base it on scholarships for athletes. My sister loves it but she misses her classes every Friday and most Thursdays for track/cross country meets. She says that can be challenging, but again she loves it and she has met a lot of her goals.

Flipomaniak,
My dd has had some great role models for her at her gym. However, probably the best role model she has was her team "big sister" her first year of team. 2 years later she "retired" from gymnastics as a junior. She went on to join a dance team which gave her much joy. She is now in college achieving great things, using all the lessons she has learned in this sport to help her. Someday my dd is going to decide to be done with gymnastics. At that time I will point to this girl as a great role model of how to move on from the sport, taking all the lessons learned with you.
As far as college goes, yes, there are lots of scholarships and grant money out there and ways to make it work. In fact, there are far more academic and merit scholarships out there than there are gymnastics scholarships.

Thank you so much for sharing that with me!

You can go to college any number of ways and get a large chunk paid for just by sending out so many applications/requests for them you begin to feel like a spammer. I know of a young lad who did just this and ended up with over $30,000 per year. Once gymnastics ceases to be an adventure and source of pride the thought of toughing it out for a scholarship gets really scary. Redford really nailed it.......

The sport is........ even dangerous when not done with all your heart in it, especially at this level..... Redford, 2013l

Please note; I started with a few thoughts that sorta evolved beyond my original scope. Oh well, If you take the time to read this you probably care enough to understand why it went as long as it did.

Iwannacoach + big problem + great kid = post of epic proportion

What matters most is kinda complicated to express in connected sentences so I'll just spit out a list with brief thoughts for each.

**Your satisfaction in what you have done and the plans you make for the near and long term future. Flipo.... I honestly blow chalk out when I sneeze and am a gymnast for life, but that doesn't have to be you. You will live out the rest of your life doing things that have nothing to do with the sport beyond the lessons you've learned through your experiences and time spent with other people in a charged atmosphere.

**The charged atmosphere that was brimming with excitement as you learned new skills and moved more quickly to the next level than the other girls in your group. It's a pretty special feeling that you need to have and feel optimistic that you'll feel the charge again...... but it seems you don't. Some people are content with activities and surroundings that more resemble casual hobbies. These individuals may not experience the *charge* until their adult lives when they have successes that lead them to fulfillment. In that context, a pastime with no *charge* is hardly going to lead to fulfillment of any sort, and I wonder if that's where you're at...... Needing fulfillment and fearing the sport is not going to let you get there.

So is the problem that you're not getting there, or is it that somebody else is telling you what your *there* should be. Likely suspects are the coaches and your parents, but could also be team mates or a team culture that sets the bar ever higher instead of spending a bit of time being amazed at what you are. Really Flipo... you are amazing.... so amazing that you feel it's normal to be you...... trust me it's not. Brilliance casts it's own shadow, and you've become used to that.

I don't know if it means anything to you. but those moments where you've wondered if you're as good as you hope are needless because we all have those moments. I had those same feelings just weeks before I went to that *special* competition and pleasantly surprised myself. I think the mild doubt is a part of us that makes us work to do great things.

Sorry for rambling so much

**What you want that isn't important to other people can be important for you. You have to do what you want to do because he best way of succeeding in life is to find something you love so much that you can do it for the joy of doing it...... even if your friends don't. That is the only way to be the best *you* that you can be, because that's when your best come forward to be shared with your friends. So even though you don't share the same activities you can share the great energy you reap from living right.

**Loyalty? You've been loyal in your training for a very long time and have earned the right to do what you want without feeling guilty that you're letting people down. That alone is one of the most valuable lessons that gymnastics has to offer...... knowing when it's time and considering what's best for you because it's your life, and nobody else should be allowed to live it for you.

**Listening to your tears. You've likely found by now that teardrops create a thunderous noise no matter how silently you cry. A prior post said something about listening to your tears. Having had some experience with this I can tell you it's a great way to figure out what's hurting.

If you imagine quitting and start crying you know something about how you feel. If you imagine staying and that makes you cry harder still you know even more about how you feel. Think about the perfect Flipo-world that allows you to change a few things about how you spend time doing gymnastics.

**Listening to your dreams. What do you daydream about? What are the last thoughts you like to have as you're falling asleep. If you really want to move on to the next adventure then you can't behaving the same daydreams and last waking thoughts you've had for the past several years. If those dreams haven't changed, you got a problem that you may need help with in keeping track of your thoughts. I'd normally suggest looking to your parents, your coaches, or friends but they're going to have a hard time being impartial and even if they were, you would doubt neutrality in the issue. Possibly a school counselor or friend outside the sport. Leave your teachers (Geez, you're probably home schooling!!) out of it because, well they aren't the right people to go to.

I didn't have time to proof read this so don't snicker at my whoopsies. I'm sure they're in there somewhere.

I'm a mom, and I just want to reach out and give flipo a big virtual hug. This is going to be a hard decision no matter what you decide. Every coach I've ever talked to, that was a gymnast regrets quitting, however, they all quit for very valid reasons. Fear, injury, pain, and life. As you get older life will be filled with challenges and hard decisions and with all the skills you have learned in gymnastics will help you through those times.

Talk to your coach and see if you can take a week or two off. Step away and take a break. More than likely, with school starting recently, life is probably challenging. I remember my sophomore and junior years being the worst for me, with school, friends, loves, and the fear of facing the future. While you are taking a break, think about going to a sports psychologist or a life coach to help you through your feelings. As corney as it sounds make a pro/cons list and a wishes and dreams list and see if that helps you evaluate your options.

Best of luck to you and keep your chin up!

Ok so this probably sound silly, a few months ago I was ready to quit too but somewhere or someone told me that 70% of kids will quit organized sport before 13 and I knew I wanted to be that 30% soooo bad that I stayed in, and I'm so glad I did. I told my mom what was bothering me and she told my coach and we fix it together, talking to someone about anything that's bothering you will help so much more then asking us for advice.

Ok so this probably sound silly, a few months ago I was ready to quit too but somewhere or someone told me that 70% of kids will quit organized sport before 13 and I knew I wanted to be that 30% soooo bad that I stayed in, and I'm so glad I did. I told my mom what was bothering me and she told my coach and we fix it together, talking to someone about anything that's bothering you will help so much more then asking us for advice.

I have, but I also wanted advice.

You can go to college any number of ways and get a large chunk paid for just by sending out so many applications/requests for them you begin to feel like a spammer. I know of a young lad who did just this and ended up with over $30,000 per year. Once gymnastics ceases to be an adventure and source of pride the thought of toughing it out for a scholarship gets really scary. Redford really nailed it.......

Please note; I started with a few thoughts that sorta evolved beyond my original scope. Oh well, If you take the time to read this you probably care enough to understand why it went as long as it did.

Iwannacoach + big problem + great kid = post of epic proportion

What matters most is kinda complicated to express in connected sentences so I'll just spit out a list with brief thoughts for each.

**Your satisfaction in what you have done and the plans you make for the near and long term future. Flipo.... I honestly blow chalk out when I sneeze and am a gymnast for life, but that doesn't have to be you. You will live out the rest of your life doing things that have nothing to do with the sport beyond the lessons you've learned through your experiences and time spent with other people in a charged atmosphere.

**The charged atmosphere that was brimming with excitement as you learned new skills and moved more quickly to the next level than the other girls in your group. It's a pretty special feeling that you need to have and feel optimistic that you'll feel the charge again...... but it seems you don't. Some people are content with activities and surroundings that more resemble casual hobbies. These individuals may not experience the *charge* until their adult lives when they have successes that lead them to fulfillment. In that context, a pastime with no *charge* is hardly going to lead to fulfillment of any sort, and I wonder if that's where you're at...... Needing fulfillment and fearing the sport is not going to let you get there.

So is the problem that you're not getting there, or is it that somebody else is telling you what your *there* should be. Likely suspects are the coaches and your parents, but could also be team mates or a team culture that sets the bar ever higher instead of spending a bit of time being amazed at what you are. Really Flipo... you are amazing.... so amazing that you feel it's normal to be you...... trust me it's not. Brilliance casts it's own shadow, and you've become used to that.

I don't know if it means anything to you. but those moments where you've wondered if you're as good as you hope are needless because we all have those moments. I had those same feelings just weeks before I went to that *special* competition and pleasantly surprised myself. I think the mild doubt is a part of us that makes us work to do great things.

Sorry for rambling so much

**What you want that isn't important to other people can be important for you. You have to do what you want to do because he best way of succeeding in life is to find something you love so much that you can do it for the joy of doing it...... even if your friends don't. That is the only way to be the best *you* that you can be, because that's when your best come forward to be shared with your friends. So even though you don't share the same activities you can share the great energy you reap from living right.

**Loyalty? You've been loyal in your training for a very long time and have earned the right to do what you want without feeling guilty that you're letting people down. That alone is one of the most valuable lessons that gymnastics has to offer...... knowing when it's time and considering what's best for you because it's your life, and nobody else should be allowed to live it for you.

**Listening to your tears. You've likely found by now that teardrops create a thunderous noise no matter how silently you cry. A prior post said something about listening to your tears. Having had some experience with this I can tell you it's a great way to figure out what's hurting.

If you imagine quitting and start crying you know something about how you feel. If you imagine staying and that makes you cry harder still you know even more about how you feel. Think about the perfect Flipo-world that allows you to change a few things about how you spend time doing gymnastics.

**Listening to your dreams. What do you daydream about? What are the last thoughts you like to have as you're falling asleep. If you really want to move on to the next adventure then you can't behaving the same daydreams and last waking thoughts you've had for the past several years. If those dreams haven't changed, you got a problem that you may need help with in keeping track of your thoughts. I'd normally suggest looking to your parents, your coaches, or friends but they're going to have a hard time being impartial and even if they were, you would doubt neutrality in the issue. Possibly a school counselor or friend outside the sport. Leave your teachers (Geez, you're probably home schooling!!) out of it because, well they aren't the right people to go to.

I didn't have time to proof read this so don't snicker at my whoopsies. I'm sure they're in there somewhere.

Thank you so much. You really made me think and I really appreciate it. You're right about almost everything. Yes, I am homeschooling and I would say I dream of going to public school, as silly as that sounds.

I'm a mom, and I just want to reach out and give flipo a big virtual hug. This is going to be a hard decision no matter what you decide. Every coach I've ever talked to, that was a gymnast regrets quitting, however, they all quit for very valid reasons. Fear, injury, pain, and life. As you get older life will be filled with challenges and hard decisions and with all the skills you have learned in gymnastics will help you through those times.

Talk to your coach and see if you can take a week or two off. Step away and take a break. More than likely, with school starting recently, life is probably challenging. I remember my sophomore and junior years being the worst for me, with school, friends, loves, and the fear of facing the future. While you are taking a break, think about going to a sports psychologist or a life coach to help you through your feelings. As corney as it sounds make a pro/cons list and a wishes and dreams list and see if that helps you evaluate your options.

Best of luck to you and keep your chin up!

Thank you *hugs* I am stepping away for a bit.

I have, but I also wanted advice.

Ok my advice is take a week off, It won't kill you, I'm 15 too and so are most of my old teammates, we all just started highschool, and while most of them quit i felt its better to stay in the sport I love and take a day or two off here and there because of stress or I'm tired or anything else, I'm in all honbors classes and taking algebra 2 as a freshman so I'm gonna need time, especially with my teacher that beloved in 3 hrs of he a night, anyway best if luck and I hope you figure this out!

Also I would like to tell you the resin I almost quit, over the summer about 5 little kids moved up into the optional group and I was mad because they just got to work on skills that I hadn't and I was a higher level, especially bars, I felt they got more attention so I felt it was unfair and that my coaches just wanted the little kids to be 7s and didn't care what I would be and then she let them work skills that were special to ME I was the only one that could do them( and I still am) but she let them do them and I got mad so finally untold y mom and I decide not to do bars anymore because it was the event i wasn't learning ANYTHING on it was a simple fix to a problem i was ready to quit over

. Yes, I am homeschooling and I would say I dream of going to public school, as silly as that sounds.

It's good that you can admit that. Are you able to find a way that you can do gym AND go to public school? Even if it part time? Have you explained that part to you parents?

That suggests to me that you are dreaming about being more like the other kids, and that is completely normal. Perhaps you should talk to some of the kids (if there are some) in your gym who manage to do both (public school and gym at your level).

As so many others have said, take the pressure of yourself to please others at this point. The commitment to gym is too hard if you don't love it, so perhaps it is really finding a way to re-love the sport in a way that satisfies you, even if it is in a different form than it has been for the last while.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back